Squirrel Canyon is a 14.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hildale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 14.2 km Elevation Gain: 603 m Route Type: Out & Back

Not sure where the All Trails line ends/goes, but I did this as a loop hike up Squirrel, headed west a couple miles to White Domes and further west another 0.75 miles maybe to some other cool red rock formations, then came back down water canyon. The descent down Water gets a tad interesting when you detour around the drop off. I rated this 5 stars for the rocks formations at the top and the view north to Zion, but the ascent up Squirrel was pretty boring. Also, walking in sand sucks, especially uphill.

Dog friendly. Great trail. Kicks your ass :) good thing we had the app or we would have for sure got lost. Did a lot of exploring and waking out to great viewpoints. Beautiful hike!

The first 1.6 miles was in the direct sun and also in sand. Once you make the left and get off of the off-road vehicle trail, it gets much more enjoyable. Only did 6 miles today.

I did this to complete the loop from Water Canyon and really enjoyed it. After ascending Water Canyon I didn't fancy going down the same way with all the ice and snow and so going down Squirrel Canyon was a perfect alternative. It also had the added bonus of additional great views, particularly of the Beehive. The last couple miles are a bit dull, as other reviewers have noted, but well worth it to make a loop. I didn't do much side exploration as I was worried about running out of daylight but in retrospect had plenty of time - total loop was less than six hours despite snow and ice slowing me down.

Took this trail up to White Domes and came back the same way, so as to avoid the challenges with Water Canyon, i.e., getting lost and/or falling off a cliff. Trail is very easy to follow and, unlike Water Canyon, there are no narrow rock ledges dusted with slippery sand. At the top, go left at the junction with the ORV trail to get to White Domes. On the return I went a little ways on the trail that circles around to the Beehive, but turned around when it became clear that I wasn't going to scramble up anything that steep. Once you get up to White Domes, it is pretty spectacular. I wandered 3 miles up and around the White Domes and hardly noticed the time. Took a million pictures. Did not see a single other person or ATV the entire morning, except for a helicopter that flew overhead. There was an abandoned bright blue cooler on the rocks near the trail junction, which was a little weird. I did not look inside. Much of the trail is deep sand. Right at the trailhead you go down in to a gully and back up the other side. This is short but arduous. After that, the first 1.5 miles is mostly flat but tiresome, so on the way back I tried walking along the creek bed to see if that was better. It was indeed, and the multitude of human and animal footprints indicated that I was not the first person to figure that out

Mon May 20 2019

I took this trail intending to loop around to Water Canyon and got seriously lost. Long story short, I would have died from hypothermia except for some reception high on a ridge and the search and rescue team. They were wonderful! This trail is very easy to lose and poorly marked. I recommend going prepared, having good route finding skills, and going with a buddy!

Wed Apr 24 2019

Very sandy. Drive up the road to the water canyon trail instead.

Sat Nov 03 2018