Squaw Peak Trail

Squaw Peak Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Went and trail ran this today. The first section from rock canyon trailhead to the split off to squaw peak was pretty clear of snow and well traveled by others. I originally missed the left turn off to the squaw peak trail because the sign is gone. There is still a small sign there, but it only has a trail number on it- no words. After backtracking a bit, checking my GPS and asking the first people I saw, it was confirmed that I was on the right trail. From the start it was muddy, like walking in a small stream the whole time. The further I got, the more snow I saw. The only way I knew I was on the right trail was by following the muddy snow tracks. It's really slippery the further up you go, so walking poles would be a good option right now. I wore shorts and a tank and was never cold. My trail running shoes were completely soaked and muddy and filled with snow by the end so thankfully I didn't wear new ones. When I got to the first viewpoint, I lost the trail because the snow was all melted and the vegetation all trampled down. I'm sure I could have used my GPS to proceed but I knew I had a long way back down. The snow going down was more dangerous than when going up and I had to dig my heals in really good to get grips. At that point I was wishing I had ice cleats attached to my shoes. Lots of people were hiking but none of them seemed like they were aware the trail would be so slippery and snowy still. Just remember it's still only march and mountains are a few months behind us in regards to season changes. This hike is no exception. It's hard on a good day and right now it's really hard. But, I would say it's still worth the climb.

Walked straight to the mountain, took me just short of 4 hours. Super hard! my legs and knees are killing me, great challenge and great view at the end! someone said they did this in 3 hours and that it was easier than the Y - definitely had to be a different trail. This is mid March, tons of snow to hike through. My feet were definitely soaked by the end of it, my dog loved it!

Nice

A great hike.

Great hike! The second half is very steep, but perfect for someone looking for a challenge, and a great reward!

Love this hike. I try to do it twice a week challenging but beautiful

if you are looking for a challenge, this is a great hike. it is up hill the whole way and the second half is quite steep. extremely rewarding views.

Really enjoyed this hike. Bring a bottle of water though, it gets pretty steep once you make that trek north and loop around to the summit. Beautiful views of Provo, Utah Lake, and the canyon behind Squaw Peak.

Amazing hike, especially in the fall when all the aspens, oaks, and maples are in color. As other reviewers have mentioned, the first part is quite easy as it follows the trail up the canyon in order to put you at the back of the mountain, then it gets difficult as you actually start the climb. Easily one of THE best views of the valley, especially since you get the 3,000 foot drop off the cliff.

While the site puts the length of this trail at 7.1, by my measurement it was 8.4. Either way a great hike!

Dopest hike I've been on, started off with walk on asphalt pathway leading to the actual trail, once on trail the amount of colors in the trees, the wet cliffs as it started raining and then as the hike got higher and higher the snowfall was majestic. Then once you get up to the top the wind is blowing and the view is otherworldly, you can see the various mountain ranges with their respective snow covered peaks. Although my phone ran out of battery recording the trail with less than a mile to go so I couldn't get a picture but I didn't mind haha, make sure to bring adequate clothing as I thought shorts, and a t-shirt was good enough #couldntfeelmyhands awesome hike tho, I ran it every once in a while so it takes 1:45 to get to top, and 45 min to get to the bottom.

Took 2.5 hours up, 1.5 down. Awesome view, sunset view beautiful!