Squaw Peak Trail

Squaw Peak Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

partially paved

Hiked today. Brief review: nice hike. Consistent climbing. After the turn off at about 1.7 miles, the next mile is up a wash. Probably the most consistent effort of the hike. After that, the rest of the climb is easier (relatively). Turn off was easy to find. No mud today. It’s likely too cold for mud now.

rock climbing

This was an awesome hike and climb, many off shoot trails and if you go up the peak opposite provides a mix of high incline hiking and moderately difficult rock climbing.

The trail, where it diverges from the Rock Canyon trail, is not marked. Use the map in this app to make sure that you make the left turn at the y in the trail. It is steep, but winds through aspen and other deciduous forest. There were flocks of robins, other small birds, and deer in the woods. Wish I had been here a few weeks earlier when the aspen were bright yellow.

The upper part of the trail is steep and was very muddy from snow melt. The view from the peak is worth the effort.

Awesome Trail.

Very nice trail, muddy with snowmelt.

So beautiful and so worth it!

Beautiful in the fall.

Fun hike - gorgeous fall colors! Took us 2 hours up and 1.25 hours back down. Very cool views of rock canyon at the top - surprisingly, not very cold.

Beautiful hike in the fall leaves. Is it steep, but well worth it for the color

I love this hike. It gets super steep at parts. It can be pretty hot in the summer so I like doing it during the fall. The colors on this trail in the fall are out of this world!

A great challenge with a great reward. Hiking this in the fall is a must. 7.5 miles round trip in about 2.5 hours alone. Views of Buffalo Peak, Timpanogos, Rock Canyon and Utah Valley. Make sure you are in shape for this one.

Great hike with an incredible view at the end. Steep and rocky but definitely worth it for the end! Great way to get some killer calves.

Surprised by this hike. Fantastic views at the top — the final 1/2 mile is where it all comes together so stick it out to the end. Not much water in Sept but the maples are turning bright red at the top. Shaded most of the day most of the way. Hung a hammock at the top and read for a few hours, and had it all to myself.

Squaw Peak ft. Philip

Great and rewarding hike. The trail was much better once you turn left off into the wooded area around 1.5 miles I believe. Beautiful meadows with butterflies cross crossing the trail all along the way. Excellent work out and views at the top. Very shaded in the morning especially in the forested area.

Great hike. Once you get into the woods its much prettier and has an exciting cliff side view at the end. If you go at the right time the wildflower meadows might be blooming and that's a nice bonus.

Just did this this morning! It was amazing! It was definitely difficult for me but SO WORTH THE EFFORT AND THE END VIEW!

Love this hike! Always rewarding at the top!

Pretty hike, fairly easy, rewarding views. This can be completed in two hours or less at a good pace. Easy to run down for those so inclined. Overall fun hike with a group.

Love how many different views are on this hike. It is definitely worth it to put on your list of hikes to do.

This hike amazed me! I began at sundown on the 4th of July and got to the peak at about 11 PM. My goal was to shoot a time lapse of the fireworks. I loved it even though I got there a little late to get the best of the show! 2700 feet to the top is no joke! It is uphill for about 90% of the hike up, but it is not as bad as it sounds! I highly recommend this hike!

Here is the fireworks time lapse I made from the peak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX-RrUnv9tw.

Fantastic hike. Our GPS clicked at 7.5 miles vs the 7.0 miles AllTrails indicates.

Also, lots of people said it was between 2 hrs and 2 hrs and 30 min hike. I Don’t think that’s realistic unless you run part/all and take no breaks.

Our total trip was 2 hrs 50 min. We hiked fast up with almost no breaks, took a 20-30 min break at the top, and jogged the way down anywhere it wasn’t steep (14 min miles on way down). For most hikers, I would expect this to be 3.5-4 hrs.

I love this hike, but it is demanding. It’s straight up for a good bit of the way, but then opens to fields of wild flowers. Views are amazing and worth the work!

Probably my favorite hike in Utah County. Great workout but not too hard. Nothing like standing next to that American flag on the 4th of July, overlooking the valley, blasting Springsteen on your speakers. That, my friends, is as American as it gets.

My favorite hike so far this year. The rock formations are awesome, there is forest, meadows, butterflies, wildflowers, and the best view of the valley I have ever seen!

This is a demanding hike. There are few if any switchbacks, but the stunning views, especially from the summit, are an ample reward for the effort.

I hiked this trail for the first time today and it has turned into my new favorite in the Provo area! It was just long enough and strenuous enough to give me a great workout. I started the hike at 9:50 am and I completed it in 2 hours 45 minutes with a 20 minute break at the peak. I passed a whopping total of 6 people while hiking up this trail and I had the peak all to myself. Because it was a Sunday morning it was not crowded and I was able to see plenty of wildlife. I ran into a snake, a couple of dear and I even saw some wild turkeys! ( at least I think they were turkeys....) Not too mention that I am pretty sure I died and went to butterfly heaven! So many butterfly’s and plenty of wild flowers in the meadows even for it being the beginning of July. There was ample amounts of shade from the tree coverage as well. A couple of other reviews mentioned the turn off to the left after bridge #5. The fork is not directly after the bridge but a little ways further up rock canyon trail. As long as you are looking for the turn off to the left you won’t miss it. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this hike and if I could give it 10 stars I would!

Absolutely stunning. Field after field of wildflowers (June) at the top and an amazing view of the valley at the peak. Hiking sticks recommended.

A close trail right in Provo’s backyard. An excellent view of The Valley.yet it is a steep and long hike.

Best part of the trail is a vast prairie of yellow flowers near the top.

A difficult trail, just as there isn't much coverage early in the spring, and the incline once you pass Rock Canyon includes tall steps, and beveled slopes.

Beautiful Flora, dogs on leashes allowed, great photos at the peak, and some rock climbing areas! enjoy!