Squaw Peak Trail

Squaw Peak Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, rock climbing, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Catching up on some reviews, so recognize this was done early October. Got up early on a Sunday to start the trail at 5am in the dark. Used our headlamps for the first 1.5 hours or so. Got up in a little under 2 hours right as the sun was rising. Beautiful, clear view over the valley and behind the mountain. Heavy fog set in as we wer heading down, which was a really cool contrast against the bright colors of the fall leaves. Took just over 2 hours getting down since we stopped for so many pictures. Great hike, pretty steep at some parts, but worth the effort.

Love this hike! Moderate though not hard

Very excellent, took 2:23 from my car to summit back to car. But don’t overdo it, ive given myself IT band syndrome from pushing too hard

Great hike! Minimal snow throughout the trail and at the top. Only wildlife spotted was one mule deer. God Bless.

Nice monochromatic views on the lower part. Muddy and windy at the top with spectacular 360 views near the peak.

Poor signage, so make sure you're aware of your route. Stay left going up.

Really warm today. Takes about 4 hours overall. Pretty steep in parts. Bring poles and lots of energy!

this is a great trail, with beautiful views of Orem and Provo.

We completed this hike back in July. It took us roughly 4 hours carrying our 1 year old son. The view was amazing!

Squaw Peak or Rock Canyon is one of my favorite places in Provo. It's so close and whether you have an hour or more it never disappoints. I've done this in the summer and autumn and love both seasons. It is fairly steep and some loose rock. Going up isn't really an issue but coming down I did slip a couple of times. The trail is well marked and the view from the top is amazing. Bring water and some snacks/lunch cause you're going to need them especially during the summer months. It is about 7 miles.

I hiked it two nights ago. It was very awesome and super easy. I would do this again but during the day so I can see the scenery.

I went hiking up this trail yesterday and it was a blast! I brought my dog and the trails were perfect on the way up. It got a little chilly on the way down after the sun had set behind the mountains so be aware of that. Beautiful view and I will definitely do this again. Took me 2 hours and 50 min from bottom to top to bottom.

I've been sticking to Easy & Moderate Trails since moving to Utah recently, so this was my first 'difficult' rated trail in the area. Took about 4.5 hours, was pretty challenging as it's uphill the entire route & as another person mentioned coming back down on rocky terrain can be tough on your legs. But, it's totally worth it! It's a beautiful view from the peak, and in the fall the leaves in the canyon were stunning. Make sure you keep left at the fork after the 5th bridge (they are numbered).

Such a beautiful hike! A bit steep at times, but totally worth it. The view of the valley and the mountains is amazing, and in the fall the leaves are gorgeous. It took us about five hours but we stopped to take A LOT of pictures :)

Awesome hike.

It wasn't too difficult. Rewarding views at the top. Beautiful day!

Amazing view. Good incline but not terrible. Thoroughly loved this hike. Would recommend, it is difficult but with plenty of water and grit I think anyone could hike this.

**The hike starts at the Rock Canyon parking lot. Walk in to the canyon and cross 5 bridges. Keep going for a while (I think from the parking lot its like 1.5 miles), and you'll see a fork in the road, there is a stick that just has "TRAIL" on it, you take the trail on the LEFT. There is a rock near by on the ground that someone has sprayed "Squaw peak" on it -- but its pretty faded. And then enjoy your hike UPHILL.

This was TOUGH. I had never done a "HARD" trail before, and underestimated how hard it was -- but its DOABLE. It is uphill (obviously, its a mountain) the whole way. But what makes this different is there aren't switchbacks for a gradual incline its steep the entire way!

There was more shade than we excepted after reading all the reviews and we went at noon -- probably the worst time for a hike! So that is good news!

Went in the afternoon around 3 PM and took our group about four hours round trip. Be sure to bring: snacks and plenty of water. There are very steep sections, very few (if any) switch backs to alleviate the strain. Gorgeous view at the top and plenty of space to lay out and relax for a bit. 8/19/2017

I would suggest doing this hike in the morning since only about half of it is shaded! This hike wasn't very crowded in the morning on a weekday and is steep but worth it!

The hike isn't too bad, took us a little under 3 hours round trip. It climbs for most of the hike with a few extra steep sections. The view at the top is fantastic--both of the valley and of the mountains behind the peak. This is definitely a more scenic hike than it's neighbors (such as Y mountain).

This is definitely a trail that will kick your butt, however it's worth all the exertion. Bring lots of water and snacks. I also recommend wearing long yoga pants for women because then you can wet your legs in the water streams and the icy cold wet leggings keep your calves cool and helps reduce inflammation. You will work up a hot sweat! This trail takes me 3 hours to complete round trip. Love every second!! The view is one you'll never forget. When I used my Garmin to track the distance from the parking lot to the peak and back, it totaled 8 miles.