Squaw Peak Trail

Squaw Peak Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, rock climbing, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

A close trail right in Provo’s backyard. An excellent view of The Valley.yet it is a steep and long hike.

Best part of the trail is a vast prairie of yellow flowers near the top.

A difficult trail, just as there isn't much coverage early in the spring, and the incline once you pass Rock Canyon includes tall steps, and beveled slopes.

Beautiful Flora, dogs on leashes allowed, great photos at the peak, and some rock climbing areas! enjoy!

What a blast. Went on memorial day. There were a fair amount of people. It's actually 8 miles and 2900 ft of vertical from the parking lot. Looks like All Trails lists it from a gate located 1/2 mile up Rock Canyon.

Remember to turn left after the fifth bridge. They have numbers on them to mark them. After the turn off it gets really steep until you get to the ridge. At that point it evens out again and you can enjoy some pretty meadows with wildflowers. The view from the peak was pretty spectacular. You get an angle at the strata of the mountain across Rock canyon that you can't get anywhere else. It's amazing how much the strata curves. When we went there was a little fog rolling up the canyon, looked awesome.

Took 2h 26m total round trip.

Wonderful hike, mostly in shade of trees, beautiful view at the top. Took us 2 hours and 15 min with limited resting. 2.5 hours seems the right time with some more rest.

Very fulfilling hike. Started heading up at around 3:30pm and got back down at around 6:30pm. Didn't see a single person once I passed the fork, and it was truly a mesmerizing experience to be at the top completely alone. Wonderful natural beauty, especially after passing the fork, and the views at the top cannot be done justice by pictures alone. It takes a lot of you but I'm definitely doing it again this summer.

Do this hike on a Sunday or during the week! If you go on Saturday, go as early as possible. It can get really busy with a bunch of little kids running around. The incline starts out really mild going into rock canyon, and once it splits to the left for squaw peak it shoots up pretty steep. The trail is really high quality and well marked! Just be sure to watch for the split. Last time I went up the post that marked the squaw peak turn was missing.

6/5/18 Route is all clear. We are experienced hikers and did the 7 miles up and back in 2:45:00. The weather was in the 90's which means we were the only ones on the trail. But, with all the shade, the temperature on the trail was quite pleasant. Swallows must be hatching eggs right now because they were dive-bombing us at the top cliffs where they nest.

This is a difficult hike, and is very steep in some parts. However, it's beautiful, and there aren't too many people, so it's not overcrowded. Highly recommend to experienced hikers.

"

May is the perfect time of year for this hike. It's steep, but not too steep, and it's long, but not too long. You can control the difficulty by the pace you set, but it's worth going slower to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Great view from the top and there's a beautiful little meadow near the summit. Took us about 4 hours, but we were going slow.

It’s a good hike I little bit short but it’s good...

Worth the view!! Pretty difficult but had a great time

It’s not a technically hard hike, but will definitely give you a good cardio work out! The first part of the hike is in Rock Canyon. Stay left after the 5th bridge to go up the dirt path instead of gravel path (which goes to campgrounds). It’s up hill the whole way but is shaded and forested for the most part. There is one stretch closer to the top that levels out slightly for a bit of a break. We stopped multiple times on the way up and I was really struggling! You will feel accomplished and love the views at the end though so keep going!

Pretty steep, but not as long as I expected. It took four of us about 2 1/2 hours to get to the top and we stopped fairly frequently to rest. The bulk of the trail is very shady which was nice. The view from the top is incredible.

If you’re looking for a rewarding day hike in Utah Valley, Squaw Peak is excellent! I especially recommend getting an early start and hiking up so the sun comes up as you’re reaching the summit. It makes for some especially stunning views seeing the different valleys and ridges alternately shadowed or lit up. Don’t let the first mile fool you, it’s a beautiful hike! Definitely a steep, difficult hike, but I saw some dogs and kids hiking it—in fact, a 12 year-old beat me to the top!

So i am a total hiking rookie and not the most fit human in all the land, and I completed this hike in exactly 5 hours. I went 5/13/18, started at 5 am. Was crazy muddy from the rain and snow melting. (I’m a genius and wore Nike’s) even with stopping to take pictures, moving slow due to me sliding in the mud, and resting for 40 mins at the peak, I returned back to my car at exactly 10 am. Not too shabby for a rookie if I do say so myself! Totally worth the falling in the mud! Awesome scenery and wildlife. I went on a Sunday so I didn’t see a soul until the way back. (A whole 6 people) after the 5th bridge, another 150 meters there is a fork, stay to the LEFT. :)

Beautiful hike. Not too difficult. Left the trail head about 7:15 and only saw a few people on the way up. Much larger groups were on their way up about 10am.

Snowy/icy going up and VERY muddy going down, great views though

My favorite trail. It’s like constant step ups. Wear hiking boots though.

One of my all time favorite hikes in Utah valley. Be careful at the fork because it is very easy to miss.

Great hike. Went up today, it was over 60 degrees, so there was a lot of mud/slush..Was easier to walk off the trail in either deeper snow or dry leaves much of the time...As has been mentioned, stay to the left. After the 5th bridge I would say the fork comes up in 150 meters or so..The views are incredible from the top. Just wow. Saw deer when I entered the meadow area before the last turn up the last hill..A lot of snow in the upper part, but packed down nicely. Highly recommend poles especially for the descent..it was slippery and wet...and totally worth it..didn't see one person up or down after taking a left at the fork... going down required some balance and using the poles a lot as there is deep mud and slush in many parts...and yet I'd do it again..btw, my phone showed about 8 miles..took about 3.75 hours..

beautiful view! and great workout especially with the snow.

Catching up on some reviews, so recognize this was done early October. Got up early on a Sunday to start the trail at 5am in the dark. Used our headlamps for the first 1.5 hours or so. Got up in a little under 2 hours right as the sun was rising. Beautiful, clear view over the valley and behind the mountain. Heavy fog set in as we wer heading down, which was a really cool contrast against the bright colors of the fall leaves. Took just over 2 hours getting down since we stopped for so many pictures. Great hike, pretty steep at some parts, but worth the effort.

Love this hike! Moderate though not hard

Very excellent, took 2:23 from my car to summit back to car. But don’t overdo it, ive given myself IT band syndrome from pushing too hard

Great hike! Minimal snow throughout the trail and at the top. Only wildlife spotted was one mule deer. God Bless.

Nice monochromatic views on the lower part. Muddy and windy at the top with spectacular 360 views near the peak.

Poor signage, so make sure you're aware of your route. Stay left going up.

Really warm today. Takes about 4 hours overall. Pretty steep in parts. Bring poles and lots of energy!

this is a great trail, with beautiful views of Orem and Provo.

We completed this hike back in July. It took us roughly 4 hours carrying our 1 year old son. The view was amazing!

Squaw Peak or Rock Canyon is one of my favorite places in Provo. It's so close and whether you have an hour or more it never disappoints. I've done this in the summer and autumn and love both seasons. It is fairly steep and some loose rock. Going up isn't really an issue but coming down I did slip a couple of times. The trail is well marked and the view from the top is amazing. Bring water and some snacks/lunch cause you're going to need them especially during the summer months. It is about 7 miles.