Squaw Peak Trail is a 7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,739 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

partially paved

Did this hike 5/30. Very lovely. First part of the trail is gravel/rocky and second half is packed dirt. Some beautiful meadow areas near the top. Get there early on the weekends if you want a parking spot.

We loved this one! Especially hiking up and catching the sunset at the top and then we hiked down in the dark. We had the trail to ourselves! Watch out for rattlesnakes though. We had an encounter with one right in the middle of the trail. Our gps device said this was more like 7.5 miles rt.

First time summiting this peak. My 6 year old son completed this on his feet.

Started at 8:20 and finished at 1pm. Some stretches are strenuous but it is absolutely worth it. The views from the top are breathtaking. Most of the trail is shaded and not it the open so makes it very bearable. Definitely a must do if you are in the Salt Lake area.

This by my watch calculation was 9 miles and took about 5 hr of hiking

Now that it’s getting warmer I recommend starting this hike early. It has a pretty steep incline which starts out with loose rock and shell and then it becomes a beautiful wooded shaded trail with beautiful wildflowers along the way. The trail is steep but once you get to the peak it will absolutely take your breath away. I promise this trail will not disappoint.

We had a spirited debate..ok more of a small discussion about whether we felt like this was a difficult trail or more moderate. We ended in a draw. It has the elevation gain to make it a difficult hike and it certainly has some steep points, but if this is difficult, what is Olympus or something that is steeper, longer, or more technical? At the end of the day, it was a great hike, worth bringing water, worth going up in good shoes, and a hat for shade. If you don't hike regularly it will be a really good challenge. Views are amazing. The hard packed trail on the upper half was a welcome feature, and the company was delightful. We headed up at 4:00 AM so we could be there for the sunrise and to beat the heat. Glad we did it. Enjoy.

So much harder than I remember haha. 2 hours up, 1.25 hours down. Beautiful! Still one of my favorite hikes in Provo!

Amazing hike. The first two miles is a slight incline and very rocky. The next two miles are really steep but just hard packed dirt so much easier on the feet. Views from the top are spectacular. No snow or mud. The new flag at the top is also great.

A fun trail with some very steep sections. Come prepared to feel the burn! Amazing view at the top. Took us 4.5 hours going slow.

Pretty great trail! I’d say the “difficult” rating is accurate. The incline is pretty steady except in some areas where it’s a little more intense. The views were absolutely worth it. I really wish people were a lot more educated in trail etiquette, though.

Squaw Peak was A++ Officially one of my favorite hikes of all time. I saw reviews saying it should be rated moderate.. as someone who does moderate trails normally, this was definitely hard, or upper level moderate. It had moderate moments but definitely a lot of steep that feels like it's never going to end. Lol Very easy coming down. 3.5 hours up, 1 hour to come down. But overall, so beautiful all the way up, and the ultimate reward in views at the very top. Feeling very accomplished today.

Great hike! No rattlers since it was cooler. Perfect conditions. Saw a doe.

Lots more shade than I thought there would be! A little muddy but not too bad. I thought this hike was going to be a lot harder than what it was. But the incline was pretty gradual throughout. The view from up top into the canyon below was incredible.

Great trail, Great view, and well worth it! Plenty of shade and windy on top. Not muddy and no snow!

Second time’s a charm, they say! After you cross 5 bridges, make sure to not miss the left turn about 1/4 past the last bridge. There is a rock that says Squaw Peak, but if you’re chatting and enjoying the scenery, you may well miss it and head up towards the campgrounds, canyon road and Squaw overlook (as we did last weekend!) But not today!! Today we climbed, it was steep and dusty but totally doable. Wildflowers and meadows were everywhere as we climbed and once we exited the trees the views were stunning. Highly recommend and will totally do again!

Great trail, easy to follow and no snow left on the ground. More of a moderate trail than difficult, but did have about 1/2 mile of pretty steep terrain where the trail branches off from Rock Canyon Trail. The rest of the trail is a mild incline or even flat in some places. Amazing views from the top! Would definitely do this trail again. Also- bug season is starting up it seems, so consider some bug spray before you go?

ohv/off road driving

Good for mountain bike, hiking through this trail and snow block trail for Jeep and UTV.. wait till June or July as snow gone off the off road.

Great trail! Pretty steep in parts, but it’s shaded and the view is so worth it. I lost my car key on this trail Saturday evening. It’s a Nissan key fab. I will offer a reward to anyone who finds it! 210-837-1119

Beware the rattlers. They're on the trail.

Really satisfying hike with amazing view of the valley.

Great hike! Nice view from the top! Good difficulty, worth doing!

Amazing views with tons of flowers out right now. Steep the whole way but worth it. Definitely closer to 8 miles. Bring lots of water.

Pretty, definitely not worth the difficult rating, pretty short (2 hours to the top) and flat compared to other hikes in the state\

Trail is in great condition - no snow or mud. Great views at the top. I’d rate this as more of a moderate level hike than a hard one.

No more snow or mud for the whole hike! Wildflowers peeking through along the whole trail

Beautiful hike! Well worth the steep incline.

Not as hard as one would expect but it is a very long hike, so come prepared. Gorgeous view at the top:) Completely worth it. Would definetly hike it again!

A little muddy still near the top, but totally worth it!