Spring Hollow Bridger Overlook and River Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(74)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Spring Hollow Bridger Overlook and River Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Logan, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length2.6 miElevation gain744 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingViewsWildflowersRocky
Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Start at the Spring Hollow campground. Take the Spring Hollow trail up about 1 mile, this leads to Bridger Overlook Trail . Veer right and go down the Bridger Overlook. Keep to your right at the fork and continue down taking rights and it will lead you to the river trail by 3rd Dam. Heading east along 3rd Dam, will take you back to Spring Hollow campground. This is a short but beautiful trail if you're looking for a quick hike. F.Y.I The first part of this hike, up to the Rock Quarry is fairly steep and rocky.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (76)
Photos (173)
Activities (66)
Completed (162)
Sommer Moser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 8, 2021
HikingSnow

Great trail! Did it with only snow boots clockwise—trail is fairly packed down and was a little slick on the way up but very doable and was worth it to get the climb out of the way first. Scenic all the way!

Bronwynn Shew
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 16, 2020
Hiking

I really enjoyed this trail. Pick your pleasure: counterclockwise starts parallel to the road/river and is a slow and gradual start with a very steep decent at the end. I went the opposite bc I like steep first and run down later. I went clockwise. This fits moderate to me. The steep part is tough but the rest is very gentle. It’s a nice combination. I went in December with hiking shoes (wish my ankles had boots for snow protection) and micro spikes. I was very comfortable. Directions: when going clockwise stay left as you go up. I saw a sign for “Crimson” and I didn’t take it bc I didn’t realize that was the trail. I followed Te is that went to the right side of crimson which basically took me on the less traveled but same up portion. It joined back up with the trail at the stone quarry (top). Then it begins a beautiful, gentle winding decent. It’s perfect for jogging or walking. People are right. The trail is not very well marked. If you go clockwise just stay left as you go up and then right as you go down. There are points where the decent forks. I used my predownloaded layer to choose which way to go on those. I tended to go left on those (even though I said right in the decent) because those let me get a little more out of the trail. If you want to do the path I did it was 2.3 miles.

View Bronwynn's activity
Ashley Sawin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Besides the trail not being marked well at all, it is such a beautiful hike with a lot of different elements to see! We went clockwise and the first bit was super rocky and steep. After you get to the rock quarry (super cool) it's a steady and gradual decent back down and is much easier than the incline at the beginning. Great workout and can't wait to do this one again. Just wish it was marked better because it's confusing to find the trail head. Once you go past the spring hollow campgrounds and get to the crimson trail head sign, stay right and go up the unmarked path.

Shauna Wiberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 28, 2020
View Shauna's activity
Shauna Wiberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2020
View Shauna's activity
Jennifer Grlicky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2020
Hiking

We went counter clockwise as suggested, but I’d almost rather have went clockwise. Was steady uphill most of the way, then steeply downhill the last 1/2 mile. Beautiful trail though.

View Jennifer's activity
Laina Priestley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 10, 2020
HikingRocky

Beautiful fall scenery! I read all the reviews to start counter clockwise but we couldn’t find where to begin ... so we went clockwise. Steep and rocky for the first 1.5 km. Counterclockwise trail begins at the west end of the parking area.

Lisa Lundgren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

The fall colors right now are BEAUTIFUL. recommend doing the loop counterclockwise, starting at the crimson trail end is STEEP going up at first.

Brad Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 3, 2020
Hiking

Nice walking trail! Go to the end of the parking area and start the trail there, much more enjoyable. (I went left and it was very rocky and steep)

View Brad's activity
Natalie Holmgren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
Hiking

This is a great loop. Beautiful fall colors right now.

View Natalie's activity
Elese Clayton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
Hiking

This trail head is super hard to find. We ended up doing the loop “backwards” going up the super steep rocky part first....it was awful. I don’t suggest doing this hike unless you are super fit like a beast. After the first mile of uphill it goes down hill and is very beautiful. If we were to do it again we would skip the steep rocky part. The trail is NOT marked very well and it was hard to know if we were on the right trail. Very beautiful though. I would categorize it as hard and I like to think that I’m in decent shape!

Shawn Gooch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 29, 2020
View Shawn 's activity
Eric Rosenthal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2020
Hiking

The track shown in AllTrails includes the current detour for the construction site. I did the loop shown in the clockwise direction. The first mile is uphill through the campground, and then on a pretty steep and slippery rocky trail. At the bottom, it does run alongside a creek. It's a pain to go up, but it would be worse going down. The portion of the loop coming down is much nicer, on a packed dirt trail dusted with pine needles. You are mostly in the shade, surrounded by foliage. Honestly, this would overall be a nicer experience if you just went up and back on that side and skipped the climb on the rocky side. There is no real destination or big payoff on this loop, at least far as I can tell. The scenery in Logan Canyon is great anywhere you hike, but this particular loop is more work than it is worth. There is some interesting geology at the top, though.

Ryan Werner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2020
Hiking

This was a great trail. I took my 6 and 7 year old daughters and they managed to complete the whole trail (with a bit of whining/complaining)! We had a bit of difficulty finding the trail head... keep heading up the road past camp sites until you hit the upper parking lot (or park there if it’s open). Just after the upper parking lot you’ll see a bridge. Cross the bridge if you want to do the difficult/steep section first, or take the branch on the right (before the bridge) if you’d rather a gentle incline with a steep decline at the end. In hindsight, I’d probably take the steep incline at the beginning... it’s steep, kinda rocky and unstable, but that’s probably easier to manage while climbing rather than descending.

Paul Kemp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 20, 2020
HikingIcyRockySnow

Great loop. Sometimes you'll find mountain bikers. Steep Rocky incline if you take the left route towards crimson trail.

View Paul's activity
Lindsey Snyder Noall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2020
HikingClosedRocky

This is one of our new favorite hiking trails, as far as trail potential goes. We started at Spring Creek and hiked up passed Bridger Point. We originally intended on hiking down to the river trail and coming back up the campground but there were large parts of the trail that were closed due to construction. So until the construction ends, consider this an out and back trail NOT a loop. There were detour sign, which we followed but it put us down on the highway for a about 1/2 mile back to the campground which is a little scary with all the traffic. We’ll keep hiking it, it’s beautiful and this time of year is perfect weather. Looking forward to when the construction is over so you can do the full loop as the stretch by the river looks absolutely amazing. Definitely glad we went up the steep/rocky trail first instead of the other way around. It seemed a popular mountain biking trail, but everyone was nice & polite to share the trail

Samuel Beck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 10, 2020
HikingRockySnow

The first mile is super steep but after that is awesome.

View Samuel's activity
Tyler Francom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 20, 2019
HikingRocky

Depending on which point you start at, the trail is very nice! I'm pretty out of shape and still managed to drag my wife and two toddlers through the whole thing. If you start the trail by going along the river and down to the dam, it's much easier to traverse due to the steepest part being the downhill portion and the very last part of the trail. About half of the trail is under tree cover. There is a small section of extremely rocky terrain. Don't roll an ankle here or you'll be hating life. Very beautiful trail with little traffic.

Martin Lindsey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2019
View Martin's activity
Seth Seyfried
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 24, 2019
Hiking

We hiked this trail this afternoon. It was very beautiful. The wildflowers are out in full force, especially along the creek leading to the trailhead.

Jordon Corley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 27, 2019

Hiked this trail this afternoon with my family and another family. Both families with young children. The steep stretch was a bit difficult but we managed and we are so glad we did that stretch going uphill rather than downhill because there are alot of rocks. The rest of the trail was easy and very enjoyable. The trees was so pretty. It was the perfect length of hike. It took us roughly 3 hours. But we did alot of mini stops to explore nearby.

Jennifer Aslett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2018
Hiking

Hiked this with my husband on Sep. 23rd and we really liked it. It’s easy once you get past the first mile, and the fall leaves were beautiful!

Nick Jensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 3, 2018

Steep and rocky for the first mile, but beautiful views at the top.

Mckinsey Watteyne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2018
Hiking

The beginning of the hike steep and all uphill. But it plateaus and has beautiful views and shade at the end. Beautiful hike, would definitely recommend. It’s tough at the beginning but worth it.

View Mckinsey's activity
Emily Klein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 1, 2018
First to Review

My husband and I hiked this trail on March 24. It's pretty steep the first mile or so, then levels off. There's a stream that accompanies the trail for the first quarter mile or so..... it was super pretty surrounded by the green moss this time of year. It was lightly raining when we started, and some type of precipitation remained on and off for the rest of the hike. The ground also had variability... we encountered mud, snow, and ice. It was never so bad that we needed to put on our spikes, but we were glad we had them just in case. Due to the weather, we were almost totally alone on the trail. Although it wasn't the "ideal" hiking day, we still enjoyed this hike!