Spanish Fork Peak via Maple Canyon

Spanish Fork Peak via Maple Canyon is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mapleton, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Trail is closed (8/31/18) due to a Bear in the area

Did this as a night hike, on a moonless night. If you can do this at night I highly recommend it. This was easily one of my favorite trails, this close to town. We left at roughly 1:30 am. Got to the top around 4:30-5:00. Watched the sun come up and got some great pics. I went with a friend and recommend you don't do this one alone if possible.

The trail is very steep in spots and has a lot of rocks in it, but it's not so bad.

On the way down we got to see all of the scenery. It's absolutely beautiful. We also saw a lot of deer, an elk, and tons of cows. At night our headlamps lit up the eyes of the cows, it was quite unnerving to just see their eyes.

There are bears in this area so bring some Bear Spray.

Bottom line it was one of my favorite hikes, so far, this summer.

Love this hike, but got quite the scare today when I came across a bear and two cubs on trail. Be safe! https://wildlife.utah.gov/learn-more/bear-safety.html

Not as hard as expected, I hiked it at night and made it to the peak about two hours before sunrise. And what a view! It took me 3 hours to him up and 2 hours to hike down. I would definitely recommend it.

Hiked this with my dog today and it was incredible! Got to the top in a little less than 4 hours and down in 2. We are quick hikers but just want to give some reference. When you get to the top saddle go left and you’ll almost walk all the way around the peak then go up. Enjoy!

This is one of my favorite hikes. I hike it every spring and fall. Every time I’ve hiked it I’ve seen something new. Moose, wildflowers, elk. All the other reviews are spot on. Every time I hike it I’m reminded that you earn every mile!

Snow is nearly all gone (opposed to the post from 3 weeks ago). Hike was great! There is some ‘ice’ but mostly snow past the ‘lake’ (pond? Large puddle?), but only for a short stretch. I did the hike in tennis shoes and got to the top just fine. Though if you know anything about this hike, the full trip is almost constant uphill, not for the faint of heart. With the little snow that’s left past the pond, we did get to slide down the snow for a quick descent, opposed to the occasional slippage on the way up at that point.
With a half hour spent at the top, and another 0.5-1 hour nap at the pond, it took us almost 8 hrs exactly to get to the top and back, and we weren’t going a slow pace on the way up. It was around 4 hrs to get to the top (including my first longer nap I took at the pond), but we took our time at the top and had a normal distracted person pace (absorbing the environment) on our way down.

Made it to the lake. You need snow shoes. Over 4 feet in some places. The lake is not frozen, but it is all slush. tons of snow up there. snow starts at 7000 ft. happy hiking!

Went up to maple lake and camped the night there. The snow up there is untouched and we were probly the first people since November to be up that high. Beautiful this time of year. Had to start from the mouth of maple canyon though and the one way journey took us about 7 hours. 12+ inches of powder once you get above 6,000 ft

I tried this trail a couple of days ago right after a fresh snowfall. Maple Canyon was closed at the mouth so I had to hike up to the trailhead at Whiting Campground adding a few extra miles. I made it about halfway to the peak and hit my turnaround time. It was slow going blazing a trail in the untouched snow, but was a lot of fun. I want to try it again when I can move a little faster.

Monday, October 09, 2017

I may be biased because it overlooks my hometown and childhood, but what a great hike! The last assent to the peak is probably the hardest part, but the view well worth it!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

it's a really hard hike. I have done it twice. steep grade to the lake/puddle then really steep to the peek. in late evening I ran in to moose on my way down. great views.

Monday, August 07, 2017

This is a hard hike in my opinion. It really is up hill pretty much the entire way, and the further up you go, the more rocky and unmarked the trail becomes. There are times that I have wondered if I was still on the right path. Not a trail I would take my kids on until they were a little older and had some good practice to build endurance.

The views are great once you hit the lake (or puddle, depending on the year and season). I've never gone all the way to the peak marker, I just stop at the lake. Next time I'll go all the way.

Despite the difficulty, I've done this trail several times and I'm always glad I did.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

This hike is uphill the entire time with few exceptions. After mapping it out in detail it is 5.3 miles to the top, however, its a tedious 5.3 miles. Harder than timp in my opinion. Very pretty though all the way up and you go through forests, lakes and wildflower meadows.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Consistently steep and rocky the whole way, but was well worth the effort. Beautiful views of the Valley, Spanish Fork canyon, Diamond Fork, etc.
The wildflowers were literally EVERYWHERE. Very nice to look at, but when I say everywhere I mean even spilling into the trail. In many parts we had to walk through foliage as tall as me (I'm 6 feet tall) that would almost completely cover the trail.
We camped at the lake on a flat, grassy spot (the only good place we could find to pitch a tent).
It does get a bit confusing after the lake. A large tree had fallen over the trail which has led a lot of hikers to form their own trail leading only to a snow field (very small when we were there). When you come back down you can see where the trail should be.
I would rate this as harder than Timp even though it is shorter, but still well worth the effort.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Like everyone else has said, it's steep and rocky the whole way. It's also very overgrown at parts. The views and wildflowers are AMAZING and make it totally worth it. I hiked it today (July 20) and there was no snow.
As a side note, I think the trail may be slightly longer than advertised. Two separate distance trackers got it closer to 12 miles than 10.7. Could be wrong though.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

I did this trail a week ago. We started at 2:20am and went at a decent speed with a fairly athletic group and got to the saddle a little before 6a. From there I caught the sunrise and the other half of the group found a way around the snow to the summit. The last climb to the saddle was pretty scketchy with the snow, but otherwise a great hike. Pretty steep and consistently rocky the whole way. Views and wildflowers made it worth it!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

the hubby said let's go for a hike. I figured since him and the boys did it on mother's day I should be ok... lol!! I'm a little more out of shape then I thought. we made it just over 3 miles up but it was getting late because we started later in the day. beautiful!! going up and up and up I was ok, just needed to stop now and then. going back down is when my knee finally said enough! recommend some kinda pole or hiking stick! also when the hubby and kids went up they did see a bear. so please be safe. take water and goodies to keep your energy up. (only 4 stars because the wrong name on here, we call it Maple mountain) 6-24-17

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Wonderful trail! All the other reviews are spot on: it's steep, relentless up, it 's beautiful, sharp rocks, poles highly recommended (and for me, close to home). Being mostly on the east side of the mountain it is cooler but gets darker sooner. I have not actually been to the top, rather I use it as my training trail. With a full pack I start out at the top of the campground and go as high as I can in 2 hours, then turn around and come back down. Last year I made it about 1/4 mile from the 'pond'. I also think the sharp rocks helped wear out my hikers so fast after about 12 trips. After that kind of training, I'm ready for my week long trips in the Uintas - that's how good it is. Believe it or not, while heading up once, I actually met some mountain bikers coming down!
This year I plan to take a day pack and go clear to the top - after I'm in shape again.
If you see a solo hiker with a pack going up or down that trail, it's probably me - so say hi.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

It was sooo fun we went up on the 4th of July and got to see fireworks at the top!

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Great views, cool forests, and one of the greenest hikes in this area! Lots of fir trees, so it smells awesome. Did it today and the fall colors and weather were perfect, the trail wasn't slippery at all.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

We hiked this trail in mid-late September and the variety of foliage was absolutely breathtaking, truly some of the most beautiful I've seen and you're hiking through a lovely forest. The weather was a perfect 75 degrees and everything was as we were warned: very rocky, relentlessly steep, and slippery (dust and pebbles on the slopes), some taller steps for anyone with knee issues, and be sure to catch the proper 007 trail at the bridge going right (we also thought we might have missed the trailhead - just go all the way to the end of the campground). Good shoes and enough water an absolute must (the "lake" was entirely dry). I took 5L of water and it was just enough.

Everyone says that it gets less steep after the first 1.5 miles but we didn't notice any change except for brief respites until the basins in the lake area. The trail leading to the peak is well enough laid but the "shortcut" was not obvious (i.e. which is the one to take?) When you get to the top of the saddle and turn left after all the switchbacks, the "shortcut" veers just slightly left and looks like a cattle or goat trail along the edge. The "trail" goes slightly right and around the "front" side of the mountain with a spectacular view of Spanish Fork, Mapleton, and Springville and Utah Lake. It will feel like you're going off rather counterproductively but it meets up with the shortcut before the final brutal ascent (and frankly, it's a very nice, level trail and gives your legs a rest). The view at the top is unbelievable and worth every breathing break you had to take on the way up.

Observations: you definitely need good shoes with a thick sole and traction as the rocks are often sharper than river stones (I hiked in 5 Fingers which did not have enough sole on them), poles would be helpful on the downwards, there is less daylight in Fall than in Summer so that's the tradeoff for the heat. Between shoes and thigh muscles that weren't up to it (causing a knee injury in a fall) and coming down in the dark, it took us 14 hours. Be wiser than I was and have a great hike!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Great going up....harder going down but so worth it!

Friday, September 02, 2016

I'm a little late with this as I hiked the trail July 2nd of this year. Being a holiday weekend, I think there was more traffic than usual, but I still only saw 4 or 5 groups and one of them was a scout group.

The trail starts out very easy, but keep an eye out for the fork in the trail at the creek. It's easy to miss. It's right at the metal bench that will be on the left. Cross the creek and continue another quarter mile or so when you'll notice another branch to your left. Keep going straight here and the rest of the trail is easy to follow (minus the fallen trees across the trail).

As has been mentioned, the trail is relentlessly steep until you cross over the saddle at the top of the basin. The trail is shaded much of the way, and it is very pretty though. When I did it, there was no snow on the trail and the spring flowers were amazing.

Good shoes are definitely a must as my worn down hiking shoes were constantly slipping on the way down. I brought a water filter to top off at Maple "Lake". I ended up drinking 4 liters for this hike and would consider 3 liters a minimum with all the sweating I did on the steep hike up.

I don't know if links to outside websites are allowed, but here's my youtube view from the top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLBOMt8npQ

Overall, it's a tough hike, but very pretty and well worth it. I'll be doing this one again next year.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Yes it's a great hike with incredible 360 degree views at the top, but it's very tough. Hiked it yesterday with my three teenagers. Tougher than I remember from eight years ago. With hardly any break, the steady elevation gain is relentless. Fortunately the shady beginning and the beautiful views as you approach the bowl and ascend to the peak make it all worth it. On the way down the steepness makes it sketchy in many places; be sure to have good shoes, and poles would be helpful. Also, suggest not taking the short cut on the way down; it's very steep, and didn't seem to save that much time. Toughest part of the way down though is the end -- it seems to keep going and going before you finally reach the creek crossing. In short, suggest starting very early, taking lots of breaks, and with older kids at least, plan for 8 hours round trip, which was the time it took us.

Friday, July 22, 2016

This is a great hike. I don't know how anyone could give it less than five stars. I loved the beautiful groves of trees the whole way up and they definitely helped my two golden retrievers stay cooler on the way down. Great views from the top as well. It is pretty steep but it makes going back down easy. Took me 3 hours and 20 minutes to get to the top and 1 hour 40 minutes to get back. I can't believe so few people hike it. I didn't see a single person until I was almost done and they weren't going to the summit.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

It's a great hike! Absolutely beautiful definitely worth the effort!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Hard trail.. More for horses..I have done twice..steep narrow paths..softball size creek rocks a must to avoid.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Although a good hike, it is my least favorite of the Wasatch seven peaks. Nothing spectacular to view until you are near the summit and the lake is really a pond. But, any summit hike is good enough to experience.

Monday, June 27, 2016

it was absolutely beautiful . it was challenging but a great hike! definitely going to be a regular hike from now on!