South Mountain via Lookout Ridge

South Mountain via Lookout Ridge is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Herriman, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is not a trail. its not even the idea of a trail. The path in the app is basically straight up a rock face with scrabbly hills and no trails.

As everyone else has mentioned there’s only game trails on this side of the mountain but in the other there’s a dual track 4 wheeler trail I highly recommend if you don’t want to forge your own trail, climb a cliff of boulders, etc. this was sooooo much fun but I’m glad I went solo because I don’t know anyone in my family that could have hacked it. Mountain goat DNA is a prerequisite here. :). That being said, I can’t stop smiling because it was so much fun :D

Ok work out to get ready for the season! There is no obvious trail only partial game paths. The loaded route is ok to follow but there is a more direct route. The view is a nice change from the normal east side shoreline trail it’s worth an afternoon to test the legs.

It’s not a trail I regret not reading the reviews on this app before I tried it but I did make it to the top. Tons of rocks to maneuver around on the way up and down.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

There's no point in trying to follow a trail and leave the kids at home for this one. From the parking area just begin working your way up the ridge to your southwest. The first half of the ascent is steeper than the second half. There is a trail for the last little bit to the summit and a downed radio tower at the top. I regretted not wearing long pants and gaiters to keep the cheatgrass out of my boots.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Other reviews had it right. There is a trail on the left of the utility building that gets close to South Mountain, I couldn't follow it after about 1.25 miles. Tried following the mapped trail that should be on the right using GPS and it's just not there. Only game trails and none of them followed it for more than a minute. It looks like someone just traced the ridge line and called it a trail.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Couldn't find a trail. Follow the map takes you to a fenced in city utility blog.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

good view. really hard to find trail once you cross over the creek.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Could never find the actual trail even though the app said I was right on the trail. So we found a different trail to the left of the fence but wasn't the trail.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Bring your dog's hiking shoes. There are lots of pokey things that could get stuck in their paws. The view is beautiful and hardly anyone was there. Quiet.

Saturday, April 29, 2017