Sound of Silence Trail

Sound of Silence Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Vernal, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Jensen: Take 149 past the Quarry Visitor Center, follow signs.

We started this hike around 6 am. This was a beautiful hike...especially early in the morning. Loved all the red rock and the diversity in the trail as we hiked. Saw evidence of big horns, but no actual animals. There was minimal shade. I cant imagine doing this during the heat of the day. Highly recommend!

My husband and I did this trail toward the end of the day, and we saw like 2 more people. It was stunning. Great views, and the informational plaques were actually pretty cool and inspiring. It seems longer than 3 miles depending on when you do it.

Ran this midday and it was pretty hot, but generally runable. Lots of terrain change from the river, to the dirt mounds to the up and downs of the bag before the big boulders at the end where you get the best views. Climbing fown the rock side was unique.

Close to 3.5 miles in total. Pretty easy. Can be hot. Bring water. Fine views and landscape changes. We saw a snake.

But If you have been to Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands or Arches, you might not rate this trail very high.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

I combined this with Desert Voices. Sound of Silence had a lot of wildflowers that were extravagant, plus a lot of rabbits and lizards. This trail has lots of ups and downs and there is one place that I almost had to scramble. Beautiful place.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Very pleasant hike. At the mid point, the trail appears to stay straight but the markers guide to the right. Go right to stay on course and follow the cairns over the rocks. Truly beautiful.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

As the name says, one of the most wonderful and quiet places I have been hiking. The canyon is extremely beautiful and full of color.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

The sign at the trailhead had this marked "Moderate to Difficult". The first 2 miles or so were relatively easy and flat, so it seemed like we had been misled. The last stretch though is definitely substantially more difficult. There are some steep climbs & descents - I was glad I bought hiking boots the day before. There are some great views of the surrounding area from the peaks.

Friday, April 24, 2015