Slickrock Mountain Bike Trail

Slickrock Mountain Bike Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 997 feet Route Type: Loop

Every serious Mountain Biker from around the world, knows, or has heard about the famous and notorious Slickrock Trail in Moab. It was this trail that put Moab on the map, and turned Moab into a mountain biking mecca that brings 1000's of mountain bikers from around the globe to Moab. The Slickrock Trail is VERY well marked with painted white lines like the middle of a highway, and there are yellow caution markers and black diamonds to warn you of deadly sections ahead. Be sure to watch for these warnings after you hit the main loop at mile 2.5. Hills on the trail are short, but grueling and very steep. If you let you momentum carry you it could get you into trouble on twisty sections with off-camber turns, but mostly it is momentum that will allow you to ride up the really steep stuff. Traction is fantastic, except when wet or icy. Watch out for winter! Trail Surface: slickrock, obviously, with a painted white line guiding you into the most outrageous situations. At times it is like riding on the outside edge of a 300-foot high basketball. There is a fee of $5/vehicle or $2/bike to enter Sand Flats Recreation Area. Please leave your dogs home as their paws have a hard time on the rock. Trail is also open to motorcycles and sees a lot of traffic.

Really fun but long trail

It was a little hot today but the riding was epic.

Beautiful scenery and a very fun ride. As one of my first rides after buying a mountain bike I was a bit nervous to try Slick Rock but it was a ton of fun. Had to walk my bike up some of the steep but short climbs. Make sure to check your bike every so often. Lot of rattling on this trail and about 4 miles in my front tire was loose.

Great views. Very challenging difficult climbs. This will give you a cardiovascular workout that is very intense, so pace yourself and enjoy the scenery.

Loved how scenic it was. Harder towards the end, bring tons of water!! Totally worth it.

very fun to do. bring water, energy bars and beer is optional. expect to fall. I went in mid January and there was some snow but done be afraid. still fun

Freakin awesome, if you haven’t done it put it on the tado list.

No other trail like it. able to stand up and pedal up anything! amazing traction.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Simply amazing! Nature's playground! February and November are each fantastic times to ride: great temps for rigorous climbing and not many riders.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Really enjoyed running this trail. Got to the trailhead at 6am and only one car was in the lot. Unfortunately, I was a little under the weather but wasn’t going to miss an opp to get this run in. Although billed as a mountain bike trail the slickrock was a joy to run on. I’ve run Gooseberry Mesa and it reminded me of that but without any other terrain. Early is better as the rock will grab the heat and make it a tough go if you sleep in. Also, I had the trail to myself for about 7+ of the miles. I ran the main loop then added the practice loop to get just over 10 total. No other runners but a few MTB’s towards the end. I ran in my On Cloutventure’s since they are almost like road shoes with a little grip. The views are amazing and worth a few stops to grab some photos. Don’t miss this trail if you’re in town.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Not sure who wrote the summary of this trail in Alltrails but be aware it is not entirely accurate and should be changed. I ran the trail with my son and we both have Garmins to track distance and elevation gain/loss. The total miles is actually 9.62 and the actual elevation gain is 1,591 or around there give or take 100ft. Also I imagined the Mtn Bikers would be my main concern/competition but it was actually motorcycles that were lost on the wrong trail. Now it wasn’t bad by no means and if you want to run this course do not hesitate. The views are amazing and it is very challenging terrain, add in the heat and it’s a great workout. Go early it can get hot out there!

Friday, August 25, 2017

Always a favorite on our trips to bike!

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Very fun, technical mountain biking trail. You can go as far as you want. The trail never really ends.

off road driving
Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Took the utv's out here to play with friends and it was fantastic. I would love to do this trail again sometime with the mountainbike.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

steep ups and down, but good traction on sandstone. would only recommend to strong riders

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Scary. Visited last year and can't get it out of my head

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Best descents of my life and most challenging climbs of my life. Absolutely stunning!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Amazing trail with outstanding views of Moab and the surrounding area

Thursday, October 13, 2016

It is not as easy as it looks on the YouTube videos. the inclines & Declines are steep. also the sand is ankle deep and will cause you to wreck if not careful. however if you are skilled enough this is a hell of a trail!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

very difficult but not a lot in terms of technical; bring lots of water; take pictures

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Definitely not for beginner Mtn. Bikers!! Practice loop is a good testing point!!

Friday, August 12, 2016

I go every year, its like a tradition for me.

off road driving
Saturday, July 09, 2016

Like this trail for technical obstacles. Don't like how crowded it is when I have been there. I ride dirt bike ( non pedal ). Gets frustrating when all these pedal bikes are on a motorcycle trail

Sunday, October 11, 2015

This was the best and most unusual mountain bike experience I have ever hard. Riding on sand stone the whole time!

Sunday, May 24, 2015

This is deffinently a trademark trail in moab. It's one of those trails that you need to do once but, you don't want to do more that once.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Good mountain bike trail

Monday, July 28, 2014

Fun mountain biking trail.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

This trail is very fun and and pretty easy compared to porcupine rim. It's fun to see what you can clime jump or ride its like a giant skate park but a trail and you hardly see anyone. Expect to wreck a couple of timed but it war worth the ride!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Very good trail to start off on. Most any rider can do it but you can make it as hard as you want. It's fast with lots of ups and downs, best for a cross country rider. The slick rock is a unique experience and you won't believe some of the hills you can climb because of the amazing traction. I spent the entire day there, playing on the slick rock and taking pictures with the beautiful scenery.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Very steep ups and downs! Scary cliff edges! But really fun! I just started mountain biking about 3 months before I went, so the trail was pretty difficult for me. Be prepared to have your butt touching your back tire on some of the steep downs. I wish I had a cross country mountain bike, it would have made this trail a lot easier. The steep uphill sections were so intense on my downhill bike, I had to walk it a few times.