Slickrock Mountain Bike Trail

Slickrock Mountain Bike Trail is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Every serious Mountain Biker from around the world, knows, or has heard about the famous and notorious Slickrock Trail in Moab. It was this trail that put Moab on the map, and turned Moab into a mountain biking mecca that brings 1000's of mountain bikers from around the globe to Moab. The Slickrock Trail is VERY well marked with painted white lines like the middle of a highway, and there are yellow caution markers and black diamonds to warn you of deadly sections ahead. Be sure to watch for these warnings after you hit the main loop at mile 2.5. Hills on the trail are short, but grueling and very steep. If you let you momentum carry you it could get you into trouble on twisty sections with off-camber turns, but mostly it is momentum that will allow you to ride up the really steep stuff. Traction is fantastic, except when wet or icy. Watch out for winter! Trail Surface: slickrock, obviously, with a painted white line guiding you into the most outrageous situations. At times it is like riding on the outside edge of a 300-foot high basketball. There is a fee of $5/vehicle or $2/bike to enter Sand Flats Recreation Area. Please leave your dogs home as their paws have a hard time on the rock. Trail is also open to motorized vehicles and sees a lot of traffic.

Not sure who wrote the summary of this trail in Alltrails but be aware it is not entirely accurate and should be changed. I ran the trail with my son and we both have Garmins to track distance and elevation gain/loss. The total miles is actually 9.62 and the actual elevation gain is 1,591 or around there give or take 100ft.
Also I imagined the Mtn Bikers would be my main concern/competition but it was actually motorcycles that were lost on the wrong trail. Now it wasn’t bad by no means and if you want to run this course do not hesitate. The views are amazing and it is very challenging terrain, add in the heat and it’s a great workout. Go early it can get hot out there!

Always a favorite on our trips to bike!

This is a favorite for us to bike!

Very fun, technical mountain biking trail. You can go as far as you want. The trail never really ends.

off road driving

Took the utv's out here to play with friends and it was fantastic. I would love to do this trail again sometime with the mountainbike.

steep ups and down, but good traction on sandstone. would only recommend to strong riders

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Scary. Visited last year and can't get it out of my head

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Best descents of my life and most challenging climbs of my life. Absolutely stunning!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Amazing trail with outstanding views of Moab and the surrounding area

Thursday, October 13, 2016

It is not as easy as it looks on the YouTube videos. the inclines & Declines are steep. also the sand is ankle deep and will cause you to wreck if not careful. however if you are skilled enough this is a hell of a trail!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

very difficult but not a lot in terms of technical; bring lots of water; take pictures

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Definitely not for beginner Mtn. Bikers!! Practice loop is a good testing point!!

Friday, August 12, 2016

I go every year, its like a tradition for me.

off road driving
Saturday, July 09, 2016

Like this trail for technical obstacles.

Don't like how crowded it is when I have been there.
I ride dirt bike ( non pedal ). Gets frustrating when all these pedal bikes are on a motorcycle trail

Sunday, October 11, 2015

This was the best and most unusual mountain bike experience I have ever hard. Riding on sand stone the whole time!

Sunday, May 24, 2015

This is deffinently a trademark trail in moab. It's one of those trails that you need to do once but, you don't want to do more that once.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Good mountain bike trail

Monday, July 28, 2014

Fun mountain biking trail.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Nice warm up loop. was hard for my young daughter

Monday, August 12, 2013

Fun trail spent two days. 1st day on the main trails 2nd day on the minor trails. Went in the fall

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

This trail is very fun and and pretty easy compared to porcupine rim. It's fun to see what you can clime jump or ride its like a giant skate park but a trail and you hardly see anyone.
Expect to wreck a couple of timed but it war worth the ride!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Very good trail to start off on. Most any rider can do it but you can make it as hard as you want. It's fast with lots of ups and downs, best for a cross country rider. The slick rock is a unique experience and you won't believe some of the hills you can climb because of the amazing traction. I spent the entire day there, playing on the slick rock and taking pictures with the beautiful scenery.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Very steep ups and downs! Scary cliff edges! But really fun! I just started mountain biking about 3 months before I went, so the trail was pretty difficult for me. Be prepared to have your butt touching your back tire on some of the steep downs. I wish I had a cross country mountain bike, it would have made this trail a lot easier. The steep uphill sections were so intense on my downhill bike, I had to walk it a few times.

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Ok this is a very cool trail,but you need to be anexcellent climber on your mountain bike,saw no one hiking it and a few motorcycles on it,whatever you do do not take the "alternate routes" they suck bad...If you do this trail plan to do the entire thing or just turn around and go back.It was fun but not for beginners..

Saturday, August 07, 2010

My Experience

I remember the very first time I did this trail, after reading the books about how extremely difficult and dangerous the Slickrock trail was, I was actually scared even before I did it, I actually considered not doing it. Once on the the trail, I thought, what the fcuk is all the fuss about!!
The Slickrock is without any doubt a FANTASTIC trail, but I still do not know why it is rated as dangerous, compared to Poison Spider or Porcupine the Slickrock is a doddle!!.
Personally I think that this trail is rated on a Moab Tourist scale and NOT on a Mountain Bikers scale.
Any intermediate mountain biker should not have any problems at all with this trail.

Conclussion

The Slickrock is the most famous and notorious trail in Moab, and probably the USA. It is a fantastic and unique trail, but it can be a friggin Zoo!!

I set my alarm for 6.00am determined to finish the ride before the crowds arrived. At 7.30 am I started the ride, with no one else at the trailhead.
The Slickrock is an absolutely wonderful and unique ride, almost 13 miles on 100% slickrock, and if that is not enough, just venture off onto the spurs, and you decide the milage. As mentioned above, in my books this is an easy and tame ride, and 100% rideable.
I spent 3 hours on the trail before I saw another person, then they came from everywhere, luckily my time was up, and I had an absolute fantastic time. By the time I got to trailhead, it was completely full.