Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Slate Canyon Loop Trail

Slate Canyon Loop Trail is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Provo, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Slate Canyon Loop Trail begins at the mouth of Slate Canyon and loops to Slide Canyon to the north. The complete loop is about 8.4 miles but the trail makes a great out and back trail for Slate Canyon or Slide Canyon

Hiked this yesterday. At about 3.2 miles up slate canyon it turns into a single track trail. At this point the trail becomes pretty muddy with a small stream of water running right down the trail due to melting snow. I didn’t go any further as I didn’t want to deal with the mud. This portion of the trail is probably 2-4 weeks away from being dry because of runoff. This canyon is much more beautiful than Rock canyon and with a lot less people. Definitely worth it.

It’s really hard. We went in early May and there was a ton of snow at which caused us to get lost. It’s steep the entire time until you get 3.6 miles in and then it’s all downhill. We only made it 3 miles up and turned back after taking a half mile detour because of snow.

super steep and the views aren't much better than just sitting in the parking lot

It's great to go out with your dogs on. The trail can either be a full loop or a "Y" and back 45 min hike/jog.

Fun Thanksgiving day hike! It took 5 of us about 3 hours. We ran into a blizzard at the top. Beautiful loop!

Beautiful hike, good work out! We lost the trail for a bit coming down into slide canyon, but found it again after a bit of bushwhacking. The weather was perfect and the leaves were beautiful!

Fun hike! The trail gets a little difficult to follow descending into slide canyon, so make sure you have the map downloaded. Coming down the face of y mountain can be tough on the knees and pretty hot. About 70 oz of water was perfect for me and it took about three hours. Watch out for moose!

Great scenery with changing terrain from Forrest to meadows and beautiful views. Great for cardio. If you don‘t have much time, but need a great workout, this is the trail to hit. I have done it both ways. Only downer is the very busy “Y” trail section.

Definitely difficult, the trail can be hard to see behind the mountain and the area right before reaching the Y is a bit difficult, steep sides, narrow trail..we came down the face of the y and it was way too hot. My dad ended up with heat stroke so I would definitely suggest starting there and ending in slate canyon. The view behind that mountain is INCREDIBLE.

It took my buddy and I almost six hours to complete the whole thing. It was 100% with it. Beautiful views. And, you get to see a great view of Provo. I recommend it.

It was so beautiful! The trail is definitely a bit overgrown on the back side of the mountain. Great hike overall.

Very steep hike with not amazing views. Going up from Slate Canyon it is very steep and rocky. I also was confused where to start (I started going towards Y mountain before turning around). The trail gets even more steep after the fork towards the very top of the hike. While hiking down the trail it is overgrown with vegetation so it is difficult to see the trail. Watch out for snakes and bring lots of water!! Above the Y trail was beautiful and the start of the canyon was also beautiful. Lots of vegetation on the back side of the canyon. Difficult hike with very little traffic.

Slate Canyon is a great hike. I go up the canyon about 3 miles everyday. It's quite the workout. The first 3 miles are almost entirely uphill. There is long steep hills, one after the other. I've lost 30lbs making this hike everyday.

Good times!!!

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Steadily steep coming up the Slate canyon access road, loose shale in some parts, and breaks partially into pines near and after the fork. Pretty views of the backside mountains.

Monday, March 26, 2018

March 24th - hiked the loop today with my husband and 20 month old. It was a challenging hike but the views are worth it! We chose to park at Slate, walk the Bonneville Shoreline then up the Y then back down Slate. We were very happy to have snowshoes. Also, we were grateful for this app and being able to see the map because part of the trail was covered with snow.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

It's difficult but the views and experience are worth it. In the summer the sky is incredibly blue and in the winter it's so silent you can hear your heartbeat.

Friday, February 02, 2018

Fairly steep climb, but fairly low traffic. Jan 28th - I hiked from the Slate Canyon side with microspikes all the way up to the saddle that spills over into Slide (~3.5 miles). At that point, I would have needed snowshoes (north facing slope) to continue, so I walked back down Slate.

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Aside from the face of Y mountain and then the beginning of slate canyon this hike is very scenic. From the backside of maple mountain until the face of Y mountain is incredible green and in some places has foliage that grows over the trail at 7 feet tall. Very secluded and has little traffic. Definitely worth it, especially if you’ve already done the bigger hikes in the area.

Monday, November 27, 2017

Great trail for a quick afternoon outing! Beware in the summer lots of sun and some homeless people have set up camps at the base. Nothing to be worried about but it’s always a surprise to see a little shanty down there.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Lightly used trail. I used this trail to summit Y Mountain and Lion Head. It also forks and takes you to the Provo Peak Trailhead. Not a lot of shade.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Starting from the trail head, this is a fairly wide yet steep trail. At roughly 2.5 mile the trail forks & I stayed left. I was unsure at first because it almost immediately turns into a narrow, single track trial that almost looks like a game trail instead of a hiking trail. From this point to about the top of the Y was the most beautiful section as far as fauna goes. The trail from the Y back to the trail head was not scenic or shaded at all, but there are great views of the valley beyond. The Bonneville Shoreline section was extremely dusty.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Nice if you don't want to see many hikers. A pretty dusty trail, with views that are pretty good. If you are deciding between this and Rock Canyon, I'd say the views in Rock Canyon are better.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Nice loop. Fairly quick ascend. I would categorize it more as moderate. Beautiful views from the top just before descending down to the "Y".

Monday, May 15, 2017

This trail is one of my favorites. Although parts of it aren't totally glamorous, if you go during the right time of the year its just gorgeous. In June the mint fields and flowers are in full bloom on the backside of the Maple Mountain. Starting at the Slate Canyon trailhead you'll follow a decently steep trail and a fork to the left to arrive at a gorgeous meadow that is a nice spot for a break and lunch. There are some natural springs near the meadow that are tapped and the water coming out of them has tested more pure than my city water (do you own testing). The pipes seem to only run during spring runoff though, so I wouldn't totally depend on it. Immediately after the meadow will begin the steepest part of the climb to the backside of Maple Mountain. Near the top of the climb, you will pass many wildflowers and mint fields. This will curve around Maple Mountain and slowly descend near Y mountain through some old growth trees. Descending there is gorgeous until you break out onto the face of Y mountain. The descent near the Y is the least fun part of the hike, but overall its worth it for the gorgeous vistas and the small amounts of traffic.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

The Shoreline trail is a nice ride, but fairly flat with no shade. The canyon trail is way too steep to have an enjoyable ride. I bike a fair amount and this was just way too steep on the way up to enjoy. It's beautiful, but there are certainly better trails for biking.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Not the best place for mountain biking. There is a trail where you can get a view of the whole town. But it's short.

Monday, September 19, 2016

I started on the left side and about a mile in there is a patch of rocks to the left right before the trail curves right. I took a seat to have a snack and in just the few minutes I was sitting there I saw two rattle snakes!! Be careful if you have children playing around up there because the snakes hid perfectly - one under a rock and the other under a pile of smaller rocks. The area looked like the perfect place to bring a picnic, but after seeing the two I definitely don't think so anymore! I very easily could see a kid playing around in that area and getting bitten. That side of the trail is quite steep and I didn't expect kids to be on it, but to my surprise, there was a kid around 4/5yo up there with his mom so ya never know. Aside from that, it was beautiful!!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Nice, relatively tough trail. A few things to note as of 9/4, - Saw an extremely large full-grown Bull Moose near the apex of the hike, on the back side. We were within 30 feet of it and was watching us intently. We instantly turned around and went back down our approach, unfortunately. - Autumn colors are very prevalent. - If you're heading East up Slate Canyon (vs north towards Side Canyon) about 3 miles in there will be an unmarked split path, go to the left to continue with the loop. If you reach a campground and a rather steep pitch you're on the right track.