Skull Crack Trail

Skull Crack Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Great hike along Causey Reservoir Trail Skull crack Trail on the North shore of Causey reservoir is a beautiful hiking trail winding its way from the North parking area to the furthermost reaches of the Eastern arm of the lake . The trail rises gently to about 700 feet above the lake then returns to lake level. This trail is popular among hikers. Bikers. Horses riders and fishermen and all others who love a good hike and a beautiful view. During the summer the lake turn an awesome aqua green due to the minerals found in the water. The lake is also a popular spot for canoes, and kayaks. This trail is very popular during spring summer and fall but has also been known to attract a few winter snowshoers . So what ever your pleasure you will find it at Skull Crack and Causey Reservoir.

One of my favorites.

Great views and nature, not too crowded so that is always a bonus.

Great trail and some awesome views. I would say the hike is right on with moderate and the creek at the end is ice cold so nice to put your feet in before you head back.

Awesome hike. It's a pretty narrow dirt trail the whole way, surrounded by green (in the summer at least). You're up a slight steady incline, then it flattens out, then down back to the reservoir. Same going back. There's a section in the middle that opens up into a desert wildflower field. Overall, great hike!

I spent the night here and had a good time. The river is beautiful and it would be cool to record with a drone. Lots of kayaks here. The parking is horrible on the weekend. The cops had a checkpoint at the entrance and were searching cars.

The trail is marked at the beginning but not anywhere else. It’s not that big of a deal there only 2 split offs (just stay to the right). It does get narrow at times but not bad and has good clearance above. There are about 10 camp areas and they are all within ear shot of the creak and makes for a great night sleep. We went on a Wednesday for an overnight trip and we were the only ones there. Which was even better. The lake was up to the camping area which makes it nice to bring your kayak in. I took my 7/10 year old girls on their first backpacking/camping trip here. They both had gear and had no problem with the trail. it took us about 2 hours to make it back with stops along the way to take pictures. On the way back it only took 1:20.

Nice hike. I started early and had limited traffic but coming back ran into several groups. The reservoir is kayak central. About 30 kayaks when I left and hundreds when I came back. If you go later in the morning or day parking will be a challenge.

Beautiful scenery. Only saw a few people on the trail. Get to the trailhead early because the parking lot fills up with those looking to canoe.

Easy beautiful hike around the reservoir. Timed it the trip right after a rain strom and my dog and I were the only ones around. It was fantastic.

I went yesterday (5/29/18) with my friend, her 3 kids (6,11,13) and our two dogs. Everyone had a great time. There was hardly anyone there. The scenery was absolutely stunning. This is now one of my favorite places to go.

Great little trail if your looking for a getaway. We heard there were a few campsites at the Causey inlet,. There were so we stayed the night. Beautiful scenery, good up and down on the trail, but not too long if you want to take some younglings with with you. I wish I had brought a fishing rod. I have never seen so many fish jumping just before sunset.

Gorgeous trail, beautiful views and flowers right now

Great view of salmon run

Great spot for a weekend camping trip. The echoes of the water and wildlife really is calming. Def a great hike

This trail is 2.5 miles one way, 5 miles round trip, and overlooks the Causey Reservoir (near Huntsville, Utah) most of the way.

This trail is deceiving as far as difficulty level. When we started it, it seemed flat, especially the first half to 3/4 mile. Then it goes a little up and down and around a lot of bends in the reservoir. Along the way, we met other hikers who said they did not finish the trail. They turned around about .5 mile from the end because the trail appeared to go down a steep gradient. Our context of steep gradients is from Alta or other ski resort trails that pretty much go up at a 50% angle. We did make it to the end, the gradient on the way down was not as steep as we thought, and there were switch backs. Probably the steepest part was right at the end, descending from the end of the trail to the river's edge to see the salmon run. The way back seemed to pose a challenge too.... the way back made us realize the elevation gain was very gradual and more than we had expected or felt going into the trail. Though the trail appears flat along the way, there are a lot of rocky patches that can catch you off guard. Also we saw lots of horseshoe prints, but no horses! Overall it was a fun and challenging trail. Even more so this time of year when you get to see the salmon run! What a cool experience!

As a side note, though the parking lot to the trail was crowded with cars and 3-4 horse trailers, not many people were actually on the trail. We saw lots of horseshoe prints, but no horses on the trail. Maybe all those people and horses were visiting ranch across from the trailhead?

It took us 3 hours and 15 minutes to hike with our 3 kids. We carried two of them but the 5 year old did great walking on her own. Great views and totally worth hiking in the fall to see the salmon run and the pretty fall colors. We will make this a yearly tradition I think.

This trail kicked my arse. First hike since my knee surgery. Loved and enjoyed every minute of it!!!

Monday, July 17, 2017

I hiked this trail today to do a little fishing at the River Inlet. I'm not in the greatest shape; I found the trail to be somewhat challenging and it took me about 1-1/2 hours to hump in. Once I arrived at the Inlet, I was a little disappointed at the amount of people/campers/kayakers in the area. But, that's what I get for going on a Sunday morning. The kayakers were congregating right in the casting areas. Also, there's a real lack of shoreline here; I was forced to do a little impromptu wet wading. The fishing was spectacular. The rainbows were hungry and aggressive. Caught 4 times my limit (not that that matters... C&R). If you're looking for a new place to fish Causey, I highly recommend fishing the inlet, if you can handle the hike.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Pretty easy trail with a steep climb heading back. The trail is pretty narrow and not super shady, but beautiful.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Absolutely breath taking

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Absolutely beautiful! We ended up turning back before completing the trail as my 10 year old son was feeling anxious over the dropoffs. I'll be heading back up sans children to complete.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great hike around Causey reservoir with great views. It was a holiday weekend so a bit busy on the trail but manageable. We took our dog and there were lots of other dogs. I'll do it again in the fall to watch the salmon spawn.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

It was a lot of fun and beautiful!

Monday, May 22, 2017

Great hike!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Super fun trail for snowshoeing! The snow was great and the views were awesome!

Saturday, October 15, 2016

It's a great trail to hike. Did it with the family. Just make sure your kids a surefooted when hiking because of some drop offs along the way.

Monday, October 03, 2016

The hike alone was beautiful but seeing the kokanee in spawn really topped it off

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The best trails always have a gift at the end whether it's a gorgeous view or a chance to see the salmon swim up river. It was amazing!

Friday, July 29, 2016

VERY GOOD HIKING TRAIL. Would NEVER again bring horses on it again though. The trail is a little narrow with a very steep drop off many feet down, into the lake below. I had a friend who's horse fell off the trail, into the water and drown. Very terrible and I would not want that to happen to anyone.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Horse Friends - Do not attempt to take trailer up without scouting in car first to know what trailer parking is like. There is no trailer parking. Just parking on roadway. On a typical Saturday that entire roadway is packed with parked cars so road is one lane only. Turn around is tight and requires backing. Family's with kids, dogs, bikes, canoes, tents, etc at trailhead.

Moderate to hard trail with some hill climb, all single track, 30% of trail is rocky.

That said, the views are magnificent and a great place to take a swim with the horses after the ride!