Skull Crack Trail

moderate 196 reviews

Skull Crack Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 830 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great hike along Causey Reservoir Trail Skull crack Trail on the South shore of Causey reservoir is a beautiful hiking trail winding its way from the South parking area to the furthermost reaches of the Eastern arm of the lake . The trail rises gently to about 700 feet above the lake then returns to lake level. This trail is popular among hikers. Bikers. Horses riders and fishermen and all others who love a good hike and a beautiful view. During the summer the lake turn an awesome aqua green due to the minerals found in the water. The lake is also a popular spot for canoes, and kayaks. This trail is very popular during spring summer and fall but has also been known to attract a few winter snowshoers . So what ever your pleasure you will find it at Skull Crack and Causey Reservoir.

icy

Good hike! Very quiet. Snow spikes or snowshoes would be good things to have. The snow was packed down, but some of the steep parts made me glad I had my spikes. Didn't see any moose, but we did find moose scat on the trail.

Beautiful, quiet trail! there is a family of moose living on the lake (cow with calf & solitary bull) that we've seen both times we visited the lake this winter. The trail was mostly well packed & good for boots/microspikes. we turned around about 1/2 mile short of the end of the trail because of avalanche danger, but we did see the tracks of one couple who kept going. Well worth the visit, just be careful in the snow on exposed slopes and watch out for moose.

Beautiful views! Really easy hike. Fall colors look great!

My wife and I have hiked Skull Crack Canyon several times. For this review we want to let folks know that it is possible to have a great 10-mile adventure hike on this trail, if you wish. We recently hiked to see the Kokanee Salmon. Once we got to the point where the official trail ends (according to the map and app), we just kept going. Even if the parking lot is full or busy, we do not find many people going deep on this trail. Once the trail drops you down onto “Right Fork South Fork Ogden River,” if you are up for an adventure, pack a lunch and begin crossing the water and following the trail along the river’s edge. You will eventually come to a place where there is a huge rock on the left side of the trail (as you head upstream.) There is a huge pine that has managed to wrap its roots around the outcropping and stands as a tall survivor. You will think that the trail ends here, but if you cross the river again, you can easily find a continuing trail. The trail will again cross the river after a few hundred feet. Keep going and you will be treated to numerous cascades and waterfalls, tall cliffs where the river makes a grotto underneath, and a beautiful canyon fork (the trail continues up the left fork, again as you continue upstream.) Our GPS showed that we had hiked a full five miles when we realized that we needed to turn back to get off the trail by dark. We plan to take friends and family back for this fun adventure next year!

We went at 9am on a Monday, only went about 1.5 miles in due to our time restrictions, but got lots of beautiful views (see photos). Very pleasant. It had just rained so there were some light muddy spots, some incline but no need for poles or hiking boots as Long as you have trainers with traction and somewhat healthy knees

Fun casual hike that’s not strenuous if you go hiking frequently. The scenery is great and there’s a salmon run this season (autumn)! Some things I didn’t like was how crowded it was. The trail is narrow and you will be yielding to many people if you go during a busy part of the day. I recommend checking this out early in the morning to avoid the foot traffic and have a better view of the salmon when they’re not hiding from the crowds!

This was my first “moderate” trail that I’ve ever done. And I definitely worked for it. I have recently lost over 85 pounds and so I am trying to get more active. This was pretty difficult for me in certain parts, especially going up in elevation and going down on my knees. But nothing that I couldn’t handle! I’m so glad that I did it. The leaves were changing and we were able to see the beautiful Kokanee salmon swimming upstream. I took my 12-year-old son and he was able to do it with “moderate“ whining. There wasn’t a whole ton of shade, but in early September weather wasn’t too bad. The parking lot was packed due to all the kayakers so make sure you get there early and carpool so you have a place to park. Will definitely do again next year!

Great little hike! Did this on a Sunday, and holy SMOKES were there a lot of people there to paddleboard/kayak in the reservoir. Be prepared to have to park pretty far from the trailhead if you get there after 10am.

Parking was really crowded. Short but beautiful trail that follows Causey Reservoir. Spent the night where the trail meets a small creek that feeds into the reservoir. gorgeous night. Kinda crowded but not too bad.

This was a great little hike and dog friendly. Little steep in the beginning but overall not bad. Pretty views from the top and a lot of access to the water at the bottom. Good little jaunt.

Beautiful views! I was pleasantly surprised with this hike. It starts off and ends a little steep, but overall it was pretty flat. There wasn’t a lot of shade, which was the only downside. It is totally worth hiking though!

We just did an overnight with 6 boys 12 and under along with 4 adults (25 June) and it turned out great. The weather was slightly overcast and got down to upper 50s. We slept at the end of the hike where the stream comes in. We stayed in tents and hammocks and are Mountain House dinners. My brother in-law caught 3 small rainbows at the campsite and another 8 near the trailhead. We had small kids, but did the hike in about 1 hr 20 min. Pretty views and water was brisk for a swim.

The views are beautiful of the res especially now when it is full. Simple trail with no turnoffs and moderate elevation gains.

Short and sweet! Enjoyable in the early morning. You really feel like you're far away from the rest of the world. Definitely a fav.

Love this trail in September to see the Kokanee salmon run. Pretty narrow walks, elevation changes and some rocks. Moderate. Lots of cool pull off spots and great views of Causey.

It most definitely is not 60% shade, but I was super grateful for the spots that had shade. Maybe it’s moderate for someone else. For me, it was brutal. However, I also acknowledge just how out of shape I am. Having said all that, it was absolutely worth it. The views were jaw droppingly spectacular. The photographer in me was super glad to go.

I hiked this last year (2018) in June. This is one of my favorite trails. It has absolutely gorgeous views of the lake. It is fairly narrow, so a good portion of the time, you’ll be in a single file line if you’re going with others. There’s shade about 60% of the time, so make sure to bring a hat and some sunscreen. You won’t regret hiking this incredibly fun trail.

Would not recommend at this time. Trail is either muddy or has deeper soft snow on it. Not easy to grip even with tracks. My husband was slipping and nearly fell off this narrow trail. Wouldn't do this trail till it thaws. Trail is fantastic during summer and fall months. Did this trail last year during the early fall. Would recommend some hiking experience as it is narrow next to cliffs with some washout. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

Tue Oct 23 2018

Nice quick hike trail. I had my two dogs but the trail is pretty skinny at some parts so we kept moving out of people's way. Trail is moderately flat for the beginning then goes up a bit then down again. The climb back up isn't terrible and the bottom by the stream is beautiful. Was there a few weeks ago and there was still a solid amount of fish (most alive but some where dead as it's getting to the end of the season). Lots of people at the bottom but you can keep hiking down to find more solitude.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Good hike, nice views. Lots of Fall colors. Moderate hiker traffic and horseback travel.

Mon Oct 01 2018

Single wide trail. Definitely moderate. Hard work for young kids. We missed the Salmon by two weeks. Next year we will make it a priority to be here mid September. Beautiful colors and spectacular views.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Such a fun and amazing views. The Kokanee salmon were beautiful as well!!

Mon Sep 17 2018

Easy 5 miler that is much more crowded in Autumn. Hiking this one on a Sunday afternoon during peak season for the Kokanee Salmon spawn, we were coming across other hikers on the single track trail every 1-2 minutes, and you have to step aside since the trail isn't wide enough for two people. This appears to be a bike-able single track, but please don't bike it in the fall - there just isn't enough time for people to move out of the way, and bikers aren't able to get out of the way themselves. The trail is relatively easy. There is an incline at the beginning of both sides of the trail, with a higher section through open meadow at the top. If you hike a few times a year, you should be able to do it without any problems or any breaks. There were numerous children and older folks in poor health on the trail, so it should be accessible for anyone that can walk unassisted. If you're here to see the Kokanee Salmon spawn, that is a yearly event during September. The times change. I've heard that it is typically in the second week of September. Of the three times I've been, I've seen single fish once, small groups of fish once (this time), and then the third time they were so thick that you couldn't help but step on them if you kayaked in. This visit seemed a bit late, as there were quit a few dead fish near where the stream emptied into the lake.