Silver Lake Trail

Silver Lake Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near American Fork, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,433 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Absolutely gorgeous hike that ends at a lake with cliffs on one side and a panoramic view of the valley on the other. The trail is not overly steep and is fairly well-maintained. Seasonally, there are beautiful wild flowers throughout the hike, even wild strawberries! Great hike for your dog. You walk through the river two/three times so they can get a drink. Pack some flip flops so you can get your feet wet at the lake, and if you have a dog bring a leash because it is a popular hike. Please note that this is not the Silver Lake up at Brighton. The Silver Lake up at Brighton is in a protected watershed and does not allow dogs.

The gate is down which adds another 3 miles each way. We did a total 10.4 miles from the gate to silver lake and back. Not icy and hardly any snow.

Gate is closed, which adds an extra 3+ miles round trip. Saw a mama moose and baby moose that gave us a scare. The mama came after us so we had to bushwhack around quite a bit. My friend lost her iPhone on the trail somewhere that has a white marbled case if anyone heads up in the next few days and come across it contact me.

Trail is still in good condition as of October 25th 2019. It’s an excellent Fall hike.

Great trail. The trail was wet and covered with wet slush in spots. We tried to find the trail up to silver glance lake but couldn’t find the trail in the wet snow.

Great hike, especially with all the snow!!

Snow came down like crazy. At least 8” at the lake when we started our decline around 10:30 PM. It was easy to come down the trail in fresh powder, though. The wind was gnarly and blew a bunch of trees down across the trail and animals were very active. 10/10 would do it again even in the snow.

Great hike! I was the only one on the trail and the only one at the lake. Took me 1:37 to the lake and back. Will take the kids next time. The only thing I did not like was the road to get to the trailhead.

Great conditions, beautiful hike! Mileage is shorter, but not by much.

Hiked it today and was impressed by the expanded parking area and the smoothing of the gravel road. One of my favorite hikes, it never gets old. Aspens are yellow and gorgeous!

The road was NOT closed. FYI! Beautiful hike and definitely worth it. I’d consider it an easy moderate, had some difficulty at points and smooth sailing at others but definitely a gradual incline. Views were gorgeous! I ran 3 miles this morning and then hiked and was just the right amount of energy burn so it’s absolutely a great workout plus amazing views. Everyone seemed to have really friendly dogs too.

Amazing.

great and challenging hike! took us 3 hrs to get to the lake but we stopped a lot to take in the beauty of it. physically demanding both ways. lake was gorgeous. if you can do it, go. well woth it.

The road is now open. A beautiful hike. Heard an elk bugling. There was great shade in the beginning. After the 2nd creek it was all sun. It was all uphill which made it a little harder for me but I'm not an avid hiker. The lake was beautiful. Another hiker said just over the next ridge is another lake. I was short on time and couldn't go.

closed

You have to park a little off but don’t be scared of the road closed sign

This was deffinitely tough but doable! You get forest, rocks, cliffs, rivers, a waterfall, and a lake! It goes uphill the last half pretty steep. The lake is gorgeous and cold, with so many pretty views. My dog and us all loved it!

1hr5mins to Lake

The trail was gorgeous today. A couple of campers at the top for early morning fishing. It would’ve been shorter time but our dogs love to stop and smell everything. Plenty of friendly dogs on the trail. No issues with them off leash.

Great trail and worth the climb for the view at the top!! ** Make sure to take a right turn at the second river crossing ... left is a sketchy scramble up an avalanche of scree!! **

We started around 11 am and it was hot. Direct sun the whole way. Two Thankful creek crossings for the dogs. Dirt, rocky, views, gorgeous deep lake to take a nice swim. On the return the sun had warmed up the sand on the trail and our dogs couldn't handle the hit sand. So we had to run them through the sun spots.

Highly recommend this hike. MUST KNOW: 1. rocky dirt road on the way to the trail head. 2. Bring a bathing suit and hang out a bit up top 3. Wear hiking shoes 4. There is a lot of direct sun (hat) 5. Please go! It’s a wonderful hike and view