Silver Lake Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near American Fork, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Absolutely gorgeous hike that ends at a lake with cliffs on one side and a panoramic view of the valley on the other. The trail is not overly steep and is fairly well-maintained. Seasonally, there are beautiful wild flowers throughout the hike, even wild strawberries! Great hike for your dog. You walk through the river two/three times so they can get a drink. Pack some flip flops so you can get your feet wet at the lake, and if you have a dog bring a leash because it is a popular hike. Please note that this is not the Silver Lake up at Brighton. The Silver Lake up at Brighton is in a protected watershed and does not allow dogs.

This is one of my favorite lakes in the Wasatch. A good all around hike with a fantastic mountain lake at the end, that you can swim in. The trail gets fairly steep in some spots but nothing too bad.

Great hike to take the pups on with gorgeous views! Would definitely do the hike again on spring and fall! Mostly shaded single track trail with dirt and some boulders throughout. Had a nice quick stream crossing where you walked over some rocks and boulders to keep your feet dry. Almost all the fall leaves were on the ground already so the backdrop had a lot of bare trees. Not too crowded on a Saturday surprisingly. The drive up the road to the trailhead is pretty rocky and rough which was not very fun but the hike and views were well worth it. Parking lot was small so we parked on the roadside. Was glad to see that they honored the National Parks Pass so we didn’t have to pay any fees.

Great trail to take the pup out on! Keep an eye out for the moose about 1/2 way up. He loves to hang out in the thicket by the pines.

I really loved this hike! You have a b
view almost every step of the way. I clocked in at 4.6 miles total though, but worth it. We saw 5 deer and a bull moose right off the trail. My 4 and 6 year olds were able to do this with slight help. The dirt road leading up to this is pretty bumpy though, that was the worst part.

Best hike ever!

Gorgeous trail. We were in a race against the fading daylight so I would rate this hard vs moderate merely for the speed we were going. If you have Verizon, you will NOT get service for your map so make sure you download the map before you get to the parking lot. We hiked the last 0.5 mile in the dark. The views were absolutely stunning and as we only had time for a quick (under 2 hours) hike, this one was perfect. Huge scenery payout for the time invested.

Keep in mind, you have to pay a $6.00 fee to park at the entrance of the trail. Also, the 3-mile dirt road leading up to the trail is a bit bumpy. I wouldn’t recommend driving up in something that doesn’t have AWD. I brought my 5 year old on this hike and he did really well (we took a lot of breaks haha). The scenery is beautiful and I found myself wanting to take pictures at every turn. I’ve never been in the spring/summer, but I can’t imagine a better time to hike here than in the fall when all the leaves are changing color.

We hiked this trail on this beautiful day today. I used map my walk app both directions and it showed it was 2.5 mi from parking lot to the lake. The first part was a pretty gentle incline about 1.5 mi through gorgeous aspens. The last .75 mile is much steeper probably closer to hard rating vs moderate. It was very enjoyable having our lunch at the lake and enjoying the beautiful surroundings. We have hiked about 4 other trails in the vicinity and this definitely is the most scenic. The fall colors were lovely. The dirt road not so great and could use some help. We passed about a dozen other hikers mostly with their dogs. The trail goes up higher to another lake but we didn’t go higher today.

love it

Absolutely beautiful. Great hike. Incredible lake and mountain views. Not too hard. 6 year old did it with his own pack. Try to take family backpacking and camping up here at least once a year.

The views are as good as it gets! We hiked on Labor Day, so lots of hikers and dogs. Not terribly strenuous and only took a few hours. The water at the lake above was cold and refreshing to swim in. I’ll definitely hike again with my dog.

is nice place

Went on this trail last Friday and really enjoyed it!!! the lake was beautiful at the end of the hike and was perfect to relax at before heading down. the view was amazing and hoping to get back at it soon.

Okay, I’m from Missouri and this hike was quite the challenge for someone not from Utah. The views were breathtaking, the lake was serene and totally worth it & refreshing. Going up is a challenge as it’s rocky as you get closer to the top, and it requires a lot of leg strength. We took numerous breaks but eventually made it. It took us an hour and thirteen minutes to get down but about 2 hours to get up. The road up to the trailhead was a bit scary as you’re right along the edge but just take it slow.
Overall:
Views: 5 stars
Trail difficulty: strenuous
Road up to trail: rocky&bumpy&steep

Better than I even expected! The leaves are starting to change.

Such a good hike to a beautiful, well worth view. Our pup enjoyed the walk and being able to freshen up in the streams along the way.

This hike was amazing! The only part I didn’t live was the three mile drive on a horrible dirt road to get to the trail head. Hike itself was great. Steeper in spots than we expected and pretty rocky, but the lake at the top is so serene and a perfect reward after the hike. We saw a moose in a grove of aspens not twenty-five feet from us. So cool!

Beautiful !!!!

Hiked up to Silver Lake for the first time this morning with my Malamute puppy, Jack. What a beautiful hike and gorgeous lake!! Absolutely loved it.

Lots of friendly hikers on the trail and hikers with dogs. Great spot to take in some stellar views. Loved that there were several streams along the trail where my dog could get some water and cool down.

Took the fishing pole and caught some small brookies in the quick hour that I was there. Best of all, saw a big bull moose just 25 yards of the trail on the way back down.

Highly recommend this hike!

Beautiful hike. Quite a few dogs, which is good. Be mindful that not all dogs are on leads, which can cause some issues if other dogs (like mine) are not very social.

Saw ground squirrels, chuckars, and a bull moose grazing.

The trail isn’t well manicured, and pretty rocky in several spots. Not too many loose rocks, so strong footholds. Downhill wasn’t as bad as most considering the elevation profile.

Gorgeous!

This hike was long and the drive to the hike was long. However, the lake at the top was amazing and refreshing after tat hike up. I think this is a little more than moderate but worth doing.

Amazing views and awesome lake at the top! Will do it again for sure!

This hike was amaze-inggg! It was a little harder than I thought it would be, but that might be because I went in the afternoon on a hot day. I loved the views, the water crossing and the lake at the end (definitely went swimming). I took my dog and his feet got hot in the darker dust, we had to take a lot of breaks and I carried him for a bit. I keep dreaming about it and plan to do it again!

fun hike, gorgeous lake and pretty flowers

pretty lake!!

Fantastic hike, well worth the effort to get there. Took my 2 kids (10 & 14) and though they were tired going up, the lake was their favorite! Would definitely do this hike again. Make sure you bring 3+ liters of water! So many people on the trail today ran out while still high up. One gentleman was completely out of water on the upper switchbacks and nearly fell off a steep incline right in front of us! We were able to grab him in time, sit him down, give him some water, electrolytes and a fruit bar, and he was apparently okay, but they had no food and he looked to be in serious shock. Though a relatively short hike, it’s hot and strenuous at times. Loved it!

I love this hike. So beautiful and a great escape from the heat. Amazing views and the best reward; silver lake.

Got an early start to this hike (around 7-8) and it was a little chilly. The first 1/3 of the hike is in a beautiful aspen forest. Couldn’t get enough of the foliage! The hike then opens up and you’re able to see some beautiful views of the back of timpanogos. After a short steep section to the top, we were rewarded with a view of the amazing lake. It was around 9 at that point but the lake was warm enough that I took a quick swim. Beautiful clear lake! As we descended it got really crowded so I suggest if you want to have this lake to yourself come early.
All in all one of my favorite hikes out there.

Wonderful trail! The lake is crystal-clear. If you want to avoid crowds, go early in the morning.