Learn more

Silver Lake Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near American Fork, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fly fishing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,433 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Absolutely gorgeous hike that ends at a lake with cliffs on one side and a panoramic view of the valley on the other. The trail is not overly steep and is fairly well-maintained. Seasonally, there are beautiful wild flowers throughout the hike, even wild strawberries! Great hike for your dog. You walk through the river two/three times so they can get a drink. Pack some flip flops so you can get your feet wet at the lake, and if you have a dog bring a leash because it is a popular hike. Please note that this is not the Silver Lake up at Brighton. The Silver Lake at Brighton is in a protected watershed and does not allow dogs.

Amazing hike! Took my husband, daughter and tiny dog. We all loved it. The Lake at the top is stunning and worth the wait. I would highly recommend. Might be a little harder than moderate. This took us about 3 hours round trip and my Apple Watch said it was 4.83 miles. We did stop to have lunch at the lake.

The trail was rocky; you have to cross two streams. There were a few spots with shade but getting to the lake was worth it, it’s really pretty. Oh there are a bunch of mosquitos. Also I’m glad I didn’t see any snake but I saw like 3 cute squirrels.

fee

Incredible!!!! Saw a moose and her baby from the parking lot on the mountainside before starting. Pay attention on this one! So worth it.

Great hike, beautiful and cool even in July lol but go the extra 1300 ft elevation and .8 to get to silver glance lake

Great day, sunny and warm. Shade for 1/4 of the hike. Plenty of water in the lake.

One of the best hikes I’ve been on this season. Silver Lake is stunningly serene. Make sure to take your swimming suit if you go in July or August for a quick post hike dip. The glassy lake is surrounded by granite mountains, there’s a nice waterfall along the way, along with little wild flowers, and plenty of gorgeous valley views of the Alpine mountains and Tibble Fork Reservoir. I’ll do this hike again and then head up to Silver Glance Lake as well.

Beautiful drive to get to the trailhead. It is a rocky dirt road for the last 2.5 miles to the trailhead. My sedan made it up fine, but had lots of divers so I had to drive slowly. It adds about 15 minutes to your drive from what google maps says. The last half of the trail is very rocky. The trail is mostly shaded in the morning time. Beautiful view of Timp. The lower silver lake was PACKED with people when we got finished with the trail. It was also the Fourth of July. But I recommend going early on a weekday to avoid a lot of people and cars on the trail and passing one another on the dirt road to get to the trailhead. It would be a fun place to camp.

This was a great hike! I’ve been wanting to do it for awhile and finally did it. Driving to the trail is super bumpy. I took a small sedan and wish we would’ve taken the 4Runner

Amazing hike, and have done it for years, this morning was my first time going all the way to Silver Glance Lake. (There’s no sign, but the trail up starts steep just before you get to Silver Lake.) Definitely worth going all the way up, just start early because by 8 or 9 AM on a weekend or holiday, Silver/Glance can get busy.

Beautiful views all the way up! Went on a cold rainy weekday and only came across a few other hikers. We did get a little lost when crossing the second stream and ended up at a steep rock slide. I don't know how we missed it the first time, but the real trail continues to the right when crossing the second stream. This hike is worth the views and relaxing at the lake top!

Honestly, when in the summer and it is totally breathtaking. Gorgeous from bottom up. Definitely do but bring shoes you don’t mind getting wet.

This is my first Utah hike as I just moved from Oregon. It was very beautiful and the day was perfect, clouds and rain just like Oregon. I can see where this could be a very hot hike if the sun was out as noted in other reviews so come prepared with water and sunscreen. The only thing to add to the reviews below: After you cross creek the second time, DO NOT go straight up the mountain. It looks like maybe the trail heads up a rock slide, it does not, cross the creek and turn right. It will go down for a bit but then you will be headed back uphill on a way more pleasant path. Have fun.

such a fun hike. your going up the whole way.

Pretty good trail 3 river crossings but not too bad. Might have been a little long and steep for my 3 year old. Super windy where we camped.

great!

Amazing hike to the lake. Views are outstanding. We even got in the water to cool off, and a little fly fishing. Was definitely hot and not much shade the last 2/3 of the trail. Bring sunscreen! The parking lot at the trailhead has restrooms and sits at the lake. Busy summer day even for a Wednesday. The drive up to the trailhead is very steep and rocky, take the corners slow as it can get kind of skinny for two vehicles to pass.

fee

Definitely on my list of favorite hikes! The trail was easy to navigate and had the perfect amount of difficulty. The beginning was shaded and about the last 2/3s of it was not. Come prepared with water, and a camera for all of the gorgeous views!

My new favorite trail in the SLC area. The reservoir at the start of the trail is lovely, lots of people fishing there. The trail is an easier moderate imo.

No snow, but a couple creek crossings. There are rocks and logs you can step on, but you might get a wet foot. Lots of dogs. Lots of backpackers at the lake. Only shady near the beginning of the trail; most is pretty exposed to the sun. Really pretty views.

Beautiful views off this trail. Lots of people though.

This is an amazing hike but can be a bit tricky. There are several stream crossings, the last being pretty tricky if you’re unwilling to get wet. The last half towards the lake has almost no shade so if you have pups be sure to bring a cooling vest or go early in the morning/later in the day when it’s cooler because it gets very hot. The last portion can be a bit of a rock scramble so improper footwear will betray you here and your feet/ankles will be beat up and sore. Reaching the lake gives you stunning views all around.