Silver Lake Trail

Silver Lake Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near American Fork, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Absolutely gorgeous hike that ends at a lake with cliffs on one side and a panoramic view of the valley on the other. The trail is not overly steep and is fairly well-maintained. Seasonally, there are beautiful wild flowers throughout the hike, even wild strawberries! Great hike for your dog. You walk through the river two/three times so they can get a drink. Pack some flip flops so you can get your feet wet at the lake, and if you have a dog bring a leash because it is a popular hike. Please note that this is not the Silver Lake up at Brighton. The Silver Lake up at Brighton is in a protected watershed and does not allow dogs.

11 minutes ago

went overnight with 14/12/11/8 year-olds. - they rated it fairly difficult. (with packs)
Pretty steady climb the entire 2.5 miles up. Light traffic on Friday night.... HEAVY traffic on Saturday.
Single-track trail made the descent with high traffic a little annoying (had to step off the trail about every 2-3 minutes to make way for the ascending hikers
Maybe 4-5 VERY small camping sites around the lake... you need to camp basically on the waters edge to find somewhere flat. SUPER FUN hike. Only downside was the heavy saturday traffic

This was a beautiful hike. The parking lot at the reservoir was pretty full (as one should plan on with any trail in Utah on a Saturday morning) but there was sufficient parking on the road for everyone.
Along the trail we saw lots of different wildflowers, crossed a stream, and even saw a little waterfall.

I had planned on it taking me 2 hrs to get to the lake since other reviews on here said it did. It only took me 1 hour to get to the lake. But I didn’t take any breaks and kept my pace the whole time (beyond stopping and taking pictures of the views.)

Trail was busy but everyone was courteous and friendly. Dog friendly. Amazing views the entire way. Can’t wait to do it again!

Love this hike! The first mile is pretty easy then the second is much steeper but it’s not that hard. The lake is beautiful- super cold water. Good amount of people on the trail but not overly crowded.

Beautiful hike! Definitely take your time. There are stunning views of Timp. It does really get crowded on the weekends and don’t plan on a long swim because the water is super chilly year round. Nice and cool shaded sections towards beginning and end.

2.2 miles one-way the trail is well defined and relatively easy with a few steeper spots and moderate rocky areas. It offers amazing views of the mountains and valley, stop and take it in, don't just rush to the destination. The lake has limited areas to setup a tent which fill up quickly. The trail is heavily trafficked on the weekends by day hikers, many of them rude and unprepared for the terrain or conditions.

It took me close to 2 hours to hike up Saturday evening (5 to 7pm) when all the day hikers were leaving. There was maybe 5 other tents besides myself. I was the last there and I stayed on the far west side all by myself. It was very windy at night and it was in the 40s but I was never cold.

Especially on Friday nights it can get a little crowded up at Silver Lake for backpackers looking for a spot to put a tent. But the views and scenery are amazing. My Apple Watch recorded 2.3 miles from the trailhead to Silver Lake, one way.

Got caught in the rain and in my haste to get my jacket out, my speaker fell out of my pack with it. If anyone has found a black and white bluetooth speaker (UE Wonderboom) it looks like fat can, please let me know. My number is 801 980-3373. Thank you!

The hike itself was a great hike and we even saw a moose. It is crowded on the weekends however and not much for shade during the last part of the hike.

Definitely NOT 4 miles one way. Have a look at the GPS tracks uploaded. An awesome hike but it can be really hot so bring the sunscreen and plenty of water.

One of my favorite hikes! My pups love doing this one too, and the lake is stunning. It’s definitely a moderate trail, but if you take you’re time and remember to breath it’s all good :)

It is 4 miles long one way. This app seems to only show one way mileage, which it makes it seem shorter than it is. It’s worth it but longer than this app states.

Short hike all uphill to the lake, but worth it for the views at the top. Lake is a little cold but still swimmable.

It is a beautiful hike! As far as difficult I would say it’s moderate for sure. Warning though. We took our two dogs starting about 11am and headed down around 2pm. Both my dogs were showing signs the ground was too hot on the way down. Maybe start earlier for the furry ones. It’s a crowded hike on the weekends and with the trail being narrow in places it makes for a tight squeeze. The lake is beautiful! Don’t give up on the trail it’s worth it in the end.

The hike itself was great and easy to follow and it had some spectacular views. Only thing is I wish I would have been warned that to get to the trailhead you have to pass through about 3 miles of bumpy, narrow, unpaved road. I got up there with my 2 wheel drive vehicle, but it was a slow go and a little bit terrifying especially because I had cargo on my roof. Basically your car will get as much of a workout as you will

We hike with our two pups. Trail is well marked, although the end near the lake has a few well beaten paths as short cuts. It all leads to the same place. We packed in and camped at the lake. It was a stunning view in the morning as we got to the lake just as it got dark. A lot of people had their dogs. Sweet hike. Going down took half as look as getting up.

Went on a Sunday around 1pm. Gorgeous views, wasn’t too crowded. Trail is on the easy side of moderate. A lot of furry friends on the trail! You do have to cross a cute stream so be prepared to get your feet a little wet if the water is high.

Very easy hike around the lake for any age. Did it one week ago. Highly recommend!!

One of the best trails out there. Very scenic and and lots of shade. It is a little steep but well worth it.

good

My wife and I hiked this yesterday. Beautiful hike but was not an easy hike for a 63 year old man and 60 year old woman. Would do this hike again, great hike.

Truly a gorgeous hike. Backpacked in this weekend and camped for a couple of days. It’s a very popular day hike, but not too many people stayed to camp while we were there. The lake is beautiful and there are little waterfalls coming into the lake from all angles. There are no cliffs you can jump off, but a few small rocks you can take a plunge from! There is nothing quite like jumping into a mountain lake.

One of the prettiest hikes in Utah! Not an easy hike but definitely achievable for a family with young kids. There was a good amount of hikers on the trail so try to get there early so you miss the crowd. Overall it was such a beautiful fun hike with a well-maintained trail! We will definitely be going again!

Great hike to start off the season. Lots of dogs without leashes...FYI.

One of the BEST hikes in Utah. Scenery is phenomenal in any direction you look.

Great views, a waterfall and a beautiful lake.

Hikes and camped this past weekend. It was definitely a workout but was worth it when we reached the lake. Camped on top of the waterfall and was so beautiful to wake up to.

I like backpacking

Gate was open to the trail today, still muddy and wet, but great non the less.

Just called the ranger station as well, was reported it would be closed until the 25th of May.

I called the Pleasant Grove Forest Ranger District and found out 008/Silver Lake Road is not open yet. I was advised to call around the 15th and they would have more info. Their number is 801-785-3563.