Silver Island Mountains Back Country Byway

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(10)
Wendover, Utah

Silver Island Mountains Back Country Byway is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Wendover, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 682 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

ohv/off road driving

I have done this trail many times, doing the entire Silver Island Mountain Loop. Last time was 01/03/20. There was barely a trace of snow on the north side of the mountains and none on the south side. South side usually gets less snowfall than the north. Trail was easy, so I let my 14 year old daughter get a taste of driving. With the exception of a greasy area on the south side, no more than a mile or so, she did all the driving.

scenic driving
Sat May 04 2019

According to the BLM,"The Silver Island Mountains Backcountry Byway is a 54 mile long loop around the Silver Island Mountains and through Utah's Great Basin." https://www.blm.gov/visit/silver-island-mountains-bcb . I'm not sure what the 8.6 mile point to point trail is that was submitted. I drove this one with a couple friends, taking side trips to the floating island, a tungsten mine, and Lamus Peak. It's a great trip. The main road can be done with a truck, but is easier on an ATV.

Fri Jun 08 2018

We got about 1/3 of the way up and it appeared parts of the track were washed out by snow melt. My basic jeep setup did not have the clearance to cross unfortunately, so we had to turn back. A Wrangler with a decent lift kit might handle it though. Beautiful desert scenery though.

Tue Aug 08 2017

It is a hidden gem, not so many knows about this area. I have found this area by curiosity when i went to the speedway. The byway itself is pretty easy to drive. The adventurous in me made me explore some trails and it was a blast!! I went in with my 07 Dodge Dakota with a set of Firestone Destination M/T and did great. I will be back for sure, and this time, my wife will be with me and see why i love this state so much

Sun Oct 12 2014

Over 100 miles on the ATV, never had to back track once. The trails around here are endless. The mountains are rugged and I had a blast exploring. I saw a few old mines, some F-16's using the range, and then completed the day by cursing around the floating Island. I made some good little hikes while out here also. One being Lumas Peak, a mean bugger to climb. The rock is sharp and unforgiving. Overall wonderful area to explore.

Sun Apr 15 2018