Sheep Creek - Swamp Canyon Loop

Sheep Creek - Swamp Canyon Loop is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bryce Canyon, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

The Sheep Creek/ Swamp Canyon Loop takes you down into a forested part of the canyon and back out again. Beautiful views of Mud Butte and Swamp Butte along the way.

Very nice and peaceful loop. Not much of a Bryce "wow" factor but rather a nice forested ( SW style) hike to get away from the crowds.

No one has hiked this trail for a while. There were a few old tracks in the snow from the trail-head to the Under-the-Rim trail and until the Sheep Creek trail junction. We had to break trail all the way up to the road on the Sheep Creek trail. The snow was anywhere from a few inches deep up to mid thigh in the shaded areas. Because this was the second hike today we opted to walk along the road for the last .7 miles because we were pretty tired from a 12 miles day

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Friday, May 20, 2016

Sunday, May 15, 2016

This loop hike came out to 4.55 miles for me but I went off trail once for a short distance. I did the loop in a clockwise direction. Total elevation gain was 855'. Over the final climb there is a grade of about 9% for about 1.3 miles. It was difficult for me. This was my first hike at Bryce Canyon and I have since learned that there are no easy climbs out of the canyon. Fairly spectacular but less impressive views than from other trails in the Park. Not a popular trail; in about two and three quarters hours elapsed time I ran across three hikers (well, two hikers, actually), a French couple with a small child in a pack. As with virtually all the other trails in Bryce there is no water so be sure to pack plenty.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

This is a great get-away hike in Bryce Canyon. If you're tired of the crowds and groups of hikers who somehow fail to understand trail etiquette (like not walking 5 abreast on a crowded trail and thereby blocking anyone from passing) and you can no longer stand to watch another hiker break the rules and climb on top of the fragile hoodoos for the "perfect picture" then this hike is for you. It's a refreshing stroll through the beautiful pine trees surrounded by hoodoos and fins.

Sure it's not quite as awe-inspiring as the Queens Garden but it's still a lovely hike AND a great stress reliever. We hiked this on the last Saturday of Spring Break and never saw another person. That alone was worth the price of admission. And we got to enjoy our lunch without any crying toddlers whose parents forced to "hike" the more popular trails without water or proper footwear (poor kids).