Shafer Trail

Shafer Trail is a 19.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, scenic driving, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Fun- Great Views Of Dead Horse Point

Did the trail from Potash to Canyonland today, 7-25-18, and it was amazing. We drove a stock JK and had no problems at all. Be ready for the last few miles straight up a 1000 foot wall of rock before you get to the main road in Canyonland.

7/7/18
WOW! We timed it for sunrise. Great road, a few tricky parts (in a Subaru anyway) but overall a great drive. Some of the most amazing sights I've seen in my life. I'm definitely returning to Moab to see what it has to offer :)

off road driving

7/5/2018. Amazing drive. Started at top of Shafer trail to Potash Rd. Some spots after decent into canyon were rocky, sandy and or steep. Conditions were very dry. Took about 1.5-2hrs. Did trail in a stock GX460 with g**dyear duratracs.

Note on trail rating/descriptions. There appears to be two for this area. One says easy and other medium and they blend together in reviews.

off road driving

Nice little jaunt. Relaxing, ran it in my bone stock 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Looped Moab to Gemini Bridges to 313 to the trail head and back to Moab.
Used 4low so i could just idle down the hill. That was the only time I engaged the 4wd system. Lots of photo ops. Could a car do it? I would not have taken my Corolla on that road. Up and down the hill, yes but not the rest of the trail, there are a few spots that having 9" of ground clearance came in handy.

off road driving

Took the Jeep from canyon lands Shafer trail entrance down potash rd to Moab. It was an amazing drive! Must have 4x4 and some ground clearance to get through a couple spots.

off road driving

Drove from MOAB to the NP with a 4x2 Nissan Rouge.
No problem if you drive with care and slow down were there are rocks to cross.

Prefer potash plant up. You don’t really want a long wheelbase, with the switchbacks. I heard a semi up on 313 was following his GPS and started down it. Needless to say, it didn’t go well......

off road driving

Gorgeous. On this path as marked the road was definitely rougher outside of the canyonlands. Inside the park the road was pretty tame.

off road driving

Super awesome. Super easy too (when dry). Plenty of cyclists do this. Saw a honda civic driving it, although i could hear their indercarriage neing hit by 3” rocks.

off road driving

Very scenic, trail requires decent clearance in some spots. Recommend 4 wheel drive. Several lookout points over the Colorado River. We started at the top of
Shafer and went down to Potash and back into
Moab. Took roughly 2.5 hours to get to Moab from the top of Shafer Trail, but we stopped a few times to check out the views and for photos. Bring some snacks and some Cokes and enjoy the drive!

Need about 10 inches clearance in areas. November 2017
Locals say 2 people die on this trail every year.
It’s safe if the driver pays attention and let’s the vehicle do it’s job.
DO NOT force it.
There were areas we had to creep and angle the vehicle properly; go sloooow!

off road driving

Drove down the switchbacks in our front wheel drive Sentra almost to the bottom. Worried about traction on the way up but no problem with front wheel drive. High clearance not needed. Did it in dry clear conditions. Some guy in a super high clearance Jeep stopped me on the way down and told me I needed a high clearance vehicle. I've driven on more dangerous roads in the Cockpit country of rural Jamaica in driving rain in a rented Toyota Yaris and continued down the switchbacks without a problem.

Started at the backside of the potash trail and made our way up to the switch backs and up to the national park. I'm surprised this is labeled easy unless it's because they don't consider where it ts off to go to the potash trail it has some dips you have to climb up and down in the canyon.

off road driving

Great views and I recommend starting at the potash and go up the Schafer and up the switch backs for a little more challenge.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

We drove this trail in dry conditions with a stock Dodge Ram 1500 2wd pickup truck and we had a blast. If you know how to drive different terrain, you'll be fine. High clearence, a bit of torque and a straight head on your shoulders is all you need. I probably wouldn't do it in this truck in rainy conditions, the wet sand patches and slippery rocks would be a risk. But we had a bluebird and with that the best time sofar on our west-coast road trip!

PS: We drove from top to bottom, while this map takes you to the end of Potash Road first to end with the switchbacks. The GPS coordinates for the shafer trailhead are:
38° 28' 17.21"N
109° 48' 41.34"W

Still want to it bottom to top? Potash Road is on the left of the factory, straight on from the road. On the right is a Private Road.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Just drove this in a 2WD Xterra; no problems but the clearance was appreciated. We drove down from Canyonlands on a lark in the afternoon and it was stunning. Strongly recommend doing it in the afternoon and towards Moab. Fantastic views the whole way.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Was a little busy, mostly with guys biking, but for a lot of the trail we were alone. It's very long and pretty simple :) loved it

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Easy off road drive on a narrow steep mountain switchback, beautiful views.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Very fun! Not a lot of traffic and a beautiful drive.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Very exciting drive going up the side of the canyon. Amazing views! Easy to finish in my Prerunner Tacoma

Sunday, March 26, 2017

The trail was exciting although if you stared down, itll be scary. Very long trail, was exhuasting.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Beautiful view and easy off rod trail. Make sure you have enough fuel and supplies just in case

Friday, March 24, 2017

We went here on our honeymoon.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Easy. Awesome view. If you are scared of heights do not try this trail.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

I just ran this trail last week with my Jeep buddy's. It is a lot of fun and one of my favorite in all of Moab. Super easy to do. Super scenic too!

Monday, May 02, 2016

Amazing!!! The best views of canyonlands hands down!

Friday, March 25, 2016

The views are second to none.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

The road to Potash is ok but the really beauty begins a few miles past the Potash plant. The trail after several miles enters Canyonlands NP in which only regular vehicles are permited.

There are several beautiful views of the river and wide open vistas.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

This is one of Utah's iconic 4x4 trails. Not for the timid because you climb up some crazy switchbacks with no guardrails. You can do it 2 wheel drive but make sure you can committ to doing the whole thing because there isn't a lot of places to turn around.

If you fear heights, stay home.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015