Shafer Trail

Shafer Trail is a 19.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, scenic driving, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

scenic driving

off road driving

Drove down the switchbacks in our front wheel drive Sentra almost to the bottom. Worried about traction on the way up but no problem with front wheel drive. High clearance not needed. Did it in dry clear conditions. Some guy in a super high clearance Jeep stopped me on the way down and told me I needed a high clearance vehicle. I've driven on more dangerous roads in the Cockpit country of rural Jamaica in driving rain in a rented Toyota Yaris and continued down the switchbacks without a problem.

Started at the backside of the potash trail and made our way up to the switch backs and up to the national park. I'm surprised this is labeled easy unless it's because they don't consider where it ts off to go to the potash trail it has some dips you have to climb up and down in the canyon.

off road driving

We drove this trail in dry conditions with a stock Dodge Ram 1500 2wd pickup truck and we had a blast. If you know how to drive different terrain, you'll be fine. High clearence, a bit of torque and a straight head on your shoulders is all you need. I probably wouldn't do it in this truck in rainy conditions, the wet sand patches and slippery rocks would be a risk. But we had a bluebird and with that the best time sofar on our west-coast road trip!

PS: We drove from top to bottom, while this map takes you to the end of Potash Road first to end with the switchbacks. The GPS coordinates for the shafer trailhead are:
38° 28' 17.21"N
109° 48' 41.34"W

Still want to it bottom to top? Potash Road is on the left of the factory, straight on from the road. On the right is a Private Road.

off road driving

Easy off road drive on a narrow steep mountain switchback, beautiful views.

Very fun! Not a lot of traffic and a beautiful drive.

off road driving

Very exciting drive going up the side of the canyon. Amazing views! Easy to finish in my Prerunner Tacoma

The trail was exciting although if you stared down, itll be scary. Very long trail, was exhuasting.

off road driving

Beautiful view and easy off rod trail. Make sure you have enough fuel and supplies just in case

We went here on our honeymoon.