Shafer Trail

Shafer Trail is a 19.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, scenic driving, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

scenic driving

off road driving

We drove this trail in dry conditions with a stock Dodge Ram 1500 2wd pickup truck and we had a blast. If you know how to drive different terrain, you'll be fine. High clearence, a bit of torque and a straight head on your shoulders is all you need. I probably wouldn't do it in this truck in rainy conditions, the wet sand patches and slippery rocks would be a risk. But we had a bluebird and with that the best time sofar on our west-coast road trip!

PS: We drove from top to bottom, while this map takes you to the end of Potash Road first to end with the switchbacks. The GPS coordinates for the shafer trailhead are:
38° 28' 17.21"N
109° 48' 41.34"W

Still want to it bottom to top? Potash Road is on the left of the factory, straight on from the road. On the right is a Private Road.

off road driving

Easy off road drive on a narrow steep mountain switchback, beautiful views.

Very fun! Not a lot of traffic and a beautiful drive.

off road driving

Very exciting drive going up the side of the canyon. Amazing views! Easy to finish in my Prerunner Tacoma

The trail was exciting although if you stared down, itll be scary. Very long trail, was exhuasting.

off road driving

Beautiful view and easy off rod trail. Make sure you have enough fuel and supplies just in case

We went here on our honeymoon.

Easy. Awesome view. If you are scared of heights do not try this trail.

off road driving

I just ran this trail last week with my Jeep buddy's. It is a lot of fun and one of my favorite in all of Moab. Super easy to do. Super scenic too!