Holbrook Canyon Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bountiful, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

Sessions Canyon climbs up a creek canyon from directly above Bountiful, UT. It is a lovely canyon, with lots of shade and a beautiful babbling creek throughout. However, footing is sometimes poor, and the farther you go, the poorer and more overgrown the trail gets. After dropping 100' from the parking lot into the canyon, the trail climbs steadily, closely following the creek and crossing it numerous times. The footing is sometimes poor, and at times of very heavy flow, creek crossing could be difficult (while it is never a challenge in summer).

Such a nice hike up with the dogs and family! Such a beautiful hike and love the creek for the dogs!

I hiked with my Boy Scout troop up to the pipeline, which I believe is about 2.5 miles in. According to another group of hikers we met, the trail gets very overgrown past this point. As previous reviewers have noted, the trail is shaded most of the way by scrub oak, maple, cottonwood and tall pines. Overall, it was a beautiful hike, and a good workout.

This hike is mostly shaded and great for hiking, trail running, or snowshoeing. Never too busy either!

Incredible trail you get back in the thick of things cross the river several times and if you like to get away from things this is a great trail. A lot of up and down and steep in places but so worth it.

Great dog trail. But watch out for poison ivy.

I’ve lived in N Salt Lake on the east bench for 3 years and this is the first crack at this trail. You should probably read the reviews before you set out on this one. It’s a relatively challenging hike at times but offers a lot of stream access and not too difficult for the first mile. Apparently the end (what I believe was the common end) is right around the clear cut area which is just under 3 miles in. I pressed on for another quarter mile and at that point there were several jogs that were completely overgrown. It was kinda cool to push through thick brush and also added to the challenge. It got late in the afternoon and I turned around but will return and press on because there’s got to be more of a payoff than that clear cut area.

Great dog trail

This is a great trail! It was a little overgrown in places but not bad. I would recommend it!

Really like this trail. Watch for rattle snakes tho

My husband and I completed this hike on July 1.

This hike was okay. Typical canyon hike- lovely views and mostly shaded. Frustrating that the trail was overgrown in some areas, especially toward the end. We're not even sure we made it to the official end of the trail... we just couldn't go any farther.

Probably would've given it 3 stars, but the stream crossings and clusters of butterflies were redeeming factors.

great hike :)

Fun and gorgeous hike! There is poison ivy along the trail, so be aware of that, but otherwise a very nice trail.

One of my favorite hikes. love the water and the bridges.

Great trail, beautiful scenery.

Great hike for families with young kids. Fun to play in the creek along the way.

There are two trails here apparently . One that goes above the parking lot and one that goes below into the canyon. We did the latter. Great family friendly trail. You will cross a couple creeks and rivers but there are bridges over the creeks and the river is currently still calm enough to walk through. Beautiful trees everywhere and lots of shade . There are a couple steep hills.

Great trail! We have an issue finding trails where my pup can come that aren’t an hour out. So this was a great beautiful local hike for us that we’ll do many more times! It doesn’t have a super clear ending. But we joked about 6 Miles total. Going back and forth with the creek was great. We went with a little melting snow, I’d imagine spring and fall are beautiful!

Sunday, November 19, 2017

The trailhead for Holbrook Canyon is across the street from the Bountiful Temple. While there is no spectacular destination at the end of the trail and it is very similar to many other canyon trails along the Wasatch Front, it is a very enjoyable hike. This trail has many stream crossings, many of which have small bridges and the rest are possible to cross without getting wet as long as you can balance on rocks or logs. There are several sections of the trail that are wet and muddy. The trees provide shade most of the way. The hike does have many short steep climbs and at times there are some steep slopes that fall away from the trail and go down to the river with no railings. Near the top of the trail bushes have grown over parts of the trail. Pants are of benefit if you want to do the last half mile of the trail. The trail peters out after about 3 miles. Some of the best things about this trail is there are lots of nice places to camp. I noticed about 4 spots with tent sites and fire pits and saw several others that would work as well. There are also deer in the canyon. I saw about 6 near the top of the canyon. There are several large rock sections that would be fun to climb around on and explore. The river is very relaxing and beautiful and only makes the camping sites even better.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Fall! What a wonderful season to hike this Trail. Mid-hike (about the waterfall,) the canyon narrows, trail was icy making river fords (log and rock crossings) much more tricky, and I would say the most technical part of the trail. Definitely less traveled and more overgrown from "the falls" on up to "pipeline path," but still very evident and passable, with the canyon opening back up and making travel eaiser, but still muddy in spots. AFTER "pipeline path," trail obviously continues eastward, higher up canyon on (south side of creek,) but CONSIDERABLY more overgrown, so I turned back.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Great hike by the little creek. Second half of the trail is a little over grown and muddy. But still pretty awesome trail!

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Very beautiful !

Sunday, October 15, 2017

loved this hike. It wasn't super hard but beautiful. It does get a little technical when there's a lot of water, but totally worth it. not a bad hike.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Tons of horse dung; I passed a group of 10 horses while hiking today. Had to stop at 3 miles due to overgrowth but the trail should continue at least one more mile to a waterfall/pool according to the Davis County Trail Map.

Monday, September 25, 2017

This is my favorite hike in Northern Utah. I love how you're walking a long a creek the whole time. It is very hard to get lost. In the 20+ times I have hiked it, I have yet to see a snake.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Beautiful but in need of some trail cleanup and repair

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Beautiful if you want to get lost on a nice valley hike

Saturday, August 05, 2017

This is a great summer hike. I wore hiking sandals and waded in the cold stream that weaves through trail. Not really very hard, but walking sticks are helpful.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Ran an out and back for a total of 5.3 miles. Trail was very pretty and enjoyable up to about 2 miles into the canyon. Trail then became obnoxiously overgrown to the point where running was no longer possible. Ended up turning around at the pipeline clearing because we couldn't find where the trail continued. Fantastic trail if you intend on keeping it under 3 or 4 miles. No rattlesnake sightings for us.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Cloud cover was great. Nice, easy hike. Good family hike. Lots of shade

Sunday, July 23, 2017

I like the amount of shade and how much you're by the river. Ideal for our super furry dogs. Very beautiful as well and no Mountain Bikers.