Holbrook Canyon Trail

Holbrook Canyon Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bountiful, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

Sessions Canyon climbs up a creek canyon from directly above Bountiful, UT. It is a lovely canyon, with lots of shade and a beautiful babbling creek throughout. However, footing is sometimes poor, and the farther you go, the poorer and more overgrown the trail gets. After dropping 100' from the parking lot into the canyon, the trail climbs steadily, closely following the creek and crossing it numerous times. The footing is sometimes poor, and at times of very heavy flow, creek crossing could be difficult (while it is never a challenge in summer).

There are two trails here apparently . One that goes above the parking lot and one that goes below into the canyon. We did the latter. Great family friendly trail. You will cross a couple creeks and rivers but there are bridges over the creeks and the river is currently still calm enough to walk through. Beautiful trees everywhere and lots of shade . There are a couple steep hills.

Great trail! We have an issue finding trails where my pup can come that aren’t an hour out. So this was a great beautiful local hike for us that we’ll do many more times! It doesn’t have a super clear ending. But we joked about 6 Miles total. Going back and forth with the creek was great. We went with a little melting snow, I’d imagine spring and fall are beautiful!

The trailhead for Holbrook Canyon is across the street from the Bountiful Temple. While there is no spectacular destination at the end of the trail and it is very similar to many other canyon trails along the Wasatch Front, it is a very enjoyable hike. This trail has many stream crossings, many of which have small bridges and the rest are possible to cross without getting wet as long as you can balance on rocks or logs. There are several sections of the trail that are wet and muddy. The trees provide shade most of the way. The hike does have many short steep climbs and at times there are some steep slopes that fall away from the trail and go down to the river with no railings. Near the top of the trail bushes have grown over parts of the trail. Pants are of benefit if you want to do the last half mile of the trail. The trail peters out after about 3 miles. Some of the best things about this trail is there are lots of nice places to camp. I noticed about 4 spots with tent sites and fire pits and saw several others that would work as well. There are also deer in the canyon. I saw about 6 near the top of the canyon. There are several large rock sections that would be fun to climb around on and explore. The river is very relaxing and beautiful and only makes the camping sites even better.

Fall! What a wonderful season to hike this Trail. Mid-hike (about the waterfall,) the canyon narrows, trail was icy making river fords (log and rock crossings) much more tricky, and I would say the most technical part of the trail. Definitely less traveled and more overgrown from "the falls" on up to "pipeline path," but still very evident and passable, with the canyon opening back up and making travel eaiser, but still muddy in spots. AFTER "pipeline path," trail obviously continues eastward, higher up canyon on (south side of creek,) but CONSIDERABLY more overgrown, so I turned back.

Great hike by the little creek. Second half of the trail is a little over grown and muddy. But still pretty awesome trail!

Very beautiful !

loved this hike. It wasn't super hard but beautiful. It does get a little technical when there's a lot of water, but totally worth it. not a bad hike.

Tons of horse dung; I passed a group of 10 horses while hiking today. Had to stop at 3 miles due to overgrowth but the trail should continue at least one more mile to a waterfall/pool according to the Davis County Trail Map.

This is my favorite hike in Northern Utah. I love how you're walking a long a creek the whole time. It is very hard to get lost. In the 20+ times I have hiked it, I have yet to see a snake.

Beautiful but in need of some trail cleanup and repair

Beautiful if you want to get lost on a nice valley hike

This is a great summer hike. I wore hiking sandals and waded in the cold stream that weaves through trail. Not really very hard, but walking sticks are helpful.

Ran an out and back for a total of 5.3 miles. Trail was very pretty and enjoyable up to about 2 miles into the canyon. Trail then became obnoxiously overgrown to the point where running was no longer possible. Ended up turning around at the pipeline clearing because we couldn't find where the trail continued. Fantastic trail if you intend on keeping it under 3 or 4 miles. No rattlesnake sightings for us.

Cloud cover was great. Nice, easy hike. Good family hike. Lots of shade

I like the amount of shade and how much you're by the river. Ideal for our super furry dogs. Very beautiful as well and no Mountain Bikers.

My brother and I went on a 2 hour hike up Holbrook Canyon. We went for 4.8 miles and came back. There is a very steep part 2/3 of the way through where we had to climb on our hands and knees, there is also a empty mine tunnel of the trail. It was fantastic!!!!

Great hike, very beautiful and shady. We followed the stream. I had my 10,7 and baby in backpack. We only got a mile or so in and turned around. It was their favorite hike! Although, beware of rattlesnakes. My son almost stepped on one. We also saw a skunk cross the trail. Adventure!

Awesome hike! Will exert a lot of energy to get to the top!

It is rated difficult so I don't understand the reviews saying the trail isn't maintained, it is steep, or they got weed whacked----and then rating it poorly---it is what it is, a fun but exerting hike!

Best part of hike was very few people! The views! The creek!

Started out being careful to not get wet...by the end we were just avoiding all the bridges bc the water felt so great!

Dogs loved it!

Beautiful natural area, with wildflowers and the pretty Holbrook Creek. But this trail is not well maintained, with several sections where you have to climb over downed trees, wade through the creek, or scrape through overgrowth. I almost stepped on a rattlesnake on the way back; be careful!

Just hiked this trail yesterday (May 31, 2017). Beautiful views and secluded. However, beware, we saw two large rattlesnakes on the trail. I'd avoid bush wacking. We did see a badger and a hiker we met saw moose the week before. The creek is very high and fast right now with the run off. Lots of fairly challenging creek crossings. Definitely bring a walking stick to aid your crossings and be prepared to get wet. Totally worth it, though.

Nice trail up and down lots of water. You will get wet. Went up like 12 miles. Ran out of trail and kept going. Saw elephant rock and the pipeline. I never saw a waterfall? Has anyone here seen it? Is it of the trail? The app says it does and no one on here has seen it. Any tips?! I have gone past where most people stop and saw no waterfall.

Pretty hike along the creek. The creek was very full on Memorial Day and overtook the trail at places. This hike has multiple creek crossings. Plan on getting wet! We went 3.2 miles up the trail. Carried a six month with the carrier and it wasn't too difficult. Not very steep. Never saw the waterfall. Did enjoy the creek though.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Water level still pretty high so most of the crossings are still underwater. Had to trudge through the creek in multiple places. The canyon itself is beautiful but the higher up on the trail you get, it get's in really bad shape being really overgrown and covered in lots of debris and downed trees/branches from winter so I got pretty scraped up. Still a fun hike though.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

The river is running high, fast, muddy and cold. Crossed it many times because all of the bridges were washed out or under water. The river was running down the trails that ran next to the river. The water was so cold even the bottom of my feet hurt. You might want to wait for the water level to goes down

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Great Trail!!! My kids and I have hiked it 3 times now, they were 3 and 7 the first time and had basically 0 difficulty until after the last Creek pass, then it goes all uphill. About a week ago the creek passings were pretty much just water, the run off makes it look like a river!! Good trail though, it's one of our favorites!!

Sunday, May 07, 2017

It's awesome

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Fun trail, I'm not an avid hiker, but this was really fun

Thursday, May 04, 2017

5/3/17 - The trail starts out nice. Good rolling ups and downs. The river and bridges are fun. At a couple of points higher up, it's easy to lose the trail because of overgrowth and junk that's come down the mountain from winter. A lot of rigid overgrowth scratched up my legs real good. 1/5th of the trail is a small stream this time of year from runoff. Towards the end the trail got lost completely. I trudged ahead a bit to see if it picked up again but no avail. Marked my GPS and it turns out I was about 300-400 feet from the end.

Monday, May 01, 2017

We hiked up for 30 minutes then turned around. Had a 5, 2, 7 month old and we loved the bridges!