Second Water and Fifth Water Loop Trail

Second Water and Fifth Water Loop Trail is a 18.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Spanish Fork, Utah that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

My scout troop did this as a 3 day backpacking trip in August. It was nice for most of it as there is generally tree cover for most of it. Going up the consistent 2nd Water incline made for a very nice climb. We had to come down 3rd water instead of 4th water but still got in a total of 22 miles. NOTE; water refill can be sketchy in some places. 2nd Water was fairly reliable but 3rd Water was dry or cow poo filed. 4th Water was better but still had plenty of cow poo from grazing. We found a spot that wasn’t bad and filtered PLUS chlorine tablets. No one got the runs so apparently our efforts paid off. This one may be better backpacking earlier in the year when higher water levels are running in the streams. Still this is a great trip with a nice reward at the end jumping into the hot springs.

One of my favorites.

This is my go to hike! Or if I don’t have much time I just jump over to the hot pots.

Road this trail as an addition to the awesome soaking experience that is part of this wonderland. I road it solo with only an idea of where I was. I study the map, gave myself all day and then went out and explored. It was amazing, road up and out of the warm climate of the trail head into aspens and pines. Road along Strawberry ridge giving me great views of Strawberry res. and the valley below. I was rewarded with a long decent to one of the best hot springs in UT