Scout Falls via Mount Timpanogos Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(700)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Scout Falls via Mount Timpanogos Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,089 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of June 2020, the Alpine Loop is currently open for the season.

Really enjoyed this trail. Trail condition was good, landscape beautiful. The first part of the trail had shade but most of the second half was not shady as much. I ended up going up above the falls because the trail seemed to go that way but I never found any way to go back to the falls from above and was way above it.

I highly recommend it. Beautiful views.

Incredible hike. Awesome views, fun moderate hike, and plenty of shade! Was very crowded on this Sunday late morning/early afternoon.

Amazing hike!!

Great hike for kids. I would classify as easy. Very beautiful and quick.

Trail is in good condition. Road is open to parking lot. Water is flowing very well and lot of little waterfalls along the way. Watch for the caterpillar nests! They are super cool. Came across a smaller snake. Got pretty warm in the afternoon. Good hike!

Took my two kids (8 & 3). We only made it about halfway before the youngest was too tired. The older child wanted to keep going. We will have to try again with their dad, so he can help carry the 3yo. Loved all the shade and wasn’t too difficult for the kids. They have just been inside a lot the last two months and need a little more practice.

Beautiful hike that’s not challenging for the views you get at the end. Personally I’d rather keep going to the basin, emerald lake or even summit timp, but it’s fun and beautiful regardless

Road was open to trailhead. Pretty good conditions. Not much snow on the trail to Scout Falls. We continued the trail towards Timpanogos and turned back at 2800m elevation when continuous snow started. Will come back later again!

It's better to use from June - September. Usually open on June due to snow on the trails. We went there last September 2019. Beautiful as always.

closed

Attempted to go on this hike but the one road to get up the mountain is closed for construction so we were unable to get there. Just a word of warning for anyone trying to hike this.

Best time to do this is in the spring after the snow melt. the photos I just posted were from June 2019. We had lots of snow that winter though. Possibility to see moose. This is also part of the Timpanogos trail.

Did this back in August with my parents and dog. I love the views.

One of my favorite hikes! Beautiful views and just fun to hike with friends!

Only recorded from turn around point back to car.

Did a 6mi loop up past the falls on the way to Timpanogos Peak. Trail is clear. Easy hike to the falls with exception of some scrambling at the top. Beautiful day! Ice buildup close to the falls. Signage for the falls is poor. See pics for proper route from parking lot. Lot of water stops for the mutts.

Love this hike. Went quick up and back in around an hour at a good pace with my 8 year old son. Falls are starting to freeze so there were icicles and water crossings. Make sure you go straight passed the turn that has a small rock wall and climb up the roots to get to it.

Such a pretty fall hike. Definitely wish the trial was marked a little better. The trail is marked at the beginning with a white piece of paper pretty from some Good Samaritan helping the rest of us. And, we almost missed the trail to the actual falls entirely. Luckily we passed some fellow hikers who could tell us where to go. Overall it was a great day.

beautiful mountain views

great trail, unbelievable views, not impressed with the falls

Beautiful short hike, easy to miss turn to falls. Don't follow the all trails route to the end, unless you want to see a good view from the meadow. Turn off after about 1.5 miles where the trail is blocked by rocks. On the alltrails route it looks like a loop where the falls are actuall at.

all uphill, brought 11, 7, 5 yo and the littlest was a bit tired until after the first mile then he warmed up. took a weird turn and didn't get to falls

really nice trail. we go hiking with the dog and we had so much fun.

don’t on labor day

Went on Labor Day. Good hike for kids, but the trail was really crowded with people who had poor hiking etiquette. Large groups (15-20 people) from the summit would steamroll downhill without yielding to uphill traffic. And some impatient hikers stuck behind large groups were hitting people with their poles. We went up the shortcut, rocky path. Our kids (8 and 6) enjoyed that part, and I went up and down it with a toddler in a backpack without an issue. It seemed to save a lot of distance versus continuing on the trail until the tree roots.

Definitely bring a pack with warm cloths for the top of you plan to beat sunrise. I was training for Nepal so I had a pack with 50lbs of appropriate gear. A Jet boil for coffee/tea (tip- keep the fuel warm..near your body otherwise it can have trouble lighting) and if you have a Nalgene, it makes a great hot water bottle you can hold or stuff in your jacket.

Scout falls is a beautiful double waterfall. The hike is fairly easy & beautiful with loads of mini waterfalls along the way. This is a great hike for kids. You could easily miss the turn to the waterfall so we made a video to make sure you don't miss it. Click on this link https://youtu.be/5iBDTVjPxvE