Scout Falls via Mount Timpanogos Trail

Scout Falls via Mount Timpanogos Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was an awesome little hike! Kid and dog friendly! Super easy! Great views! 1 hour up 1 hour down! Super shady and very easy!

Easy hike and so beautiful!

Took my daughter yesterday and she is 4 years old. She is an experience hiker. I would not necessarily call this a kid friendly hike. I was also back packing my 10 month son and when you have to climb the branches to view the falls...it was not ideal. However, lovely hike

Awesome hike with low traffic even late morning on a Sunday. The trail markings are awful though! You take Timanookee trail for about a mile and a half, cross a stream, and take a left at the fork right after. Shortly after that you will start climbing rocks that get steeper towards the top and then you are there! I took a 4.5 and 6 year old with me and I don’t think I’d do that again with those rocks. The falls are very small right now. Overall nice, pretty hike!

We took our 9 and 11 year old girls, they did just fine with a few stops for water; we hit the trail at noon in mid-August, it was dry and hot, but lots of sections of the trail had shade, which our kids liked.

Falls are only a bit more than a trickle this time of year. Steeper hike than you'd think

great hike with great views!! made for a nice escape from the smokey valley too. there is one spot that was a bit sketchy, but our dog did it no problem. you basically climb up some trees roots hanging over the trail. the falls were so cold, so I don't recommend standing under them. ;) and the flowers were beautiful too!!! I'd definitely do this one again.

Beautiful hike! Everything was green and lush on the trail. Lots of people coming down from seeing the sunrise on Timp but the trail wasn't too crowded. When we got to the falls there was only one other small group there so we got some peace and quiet and cooled off next to the water. Our little dog loved it too! Good hike for families and people of all ages!

We loved this trail! I went with my brother and 6 month baby in a carrier. We tried it once in the heat of the day and couldn’t make it with my daughter but tried again in the morning and it was perfect for all of us. Make sure you to take the right at the first fork. There is a part where you have to climb up some tree roots but it was not too bad. There were several elderly people who were hiking it just fine. In total it was about 2-2.5 hours round trip. (With lots of time enjoying the falls.)

Beautiful scenery.

LOVE this hike. Great for kids. Awesome views. Short. One sketchy section for little ones but no big deal if you hold their hands.

This is a fairly straightforward climb to a waterfall that is, as others have noted, pretty dry this season. The first 1.3 - 1.5 miles of the ascent are rather featureless. Once you reach the higher altitudes, you start to get some views of the canyon and Alpine and Lehi beyond. It is a pleasant trail, one of the busier ones we hiked, but probably not one we will repeat.

As to the fork at the log referred to in previews reviews: there is a sign post pointing to Scout Falls which takes you on a short (but slightly difficult climb) and, if you take the other fork, you climb above the falls and get a nice view of the area.

The great: not much other than the clear paths.

The good: some of the views are nice and it is a good workout.

The not so great or good: busy trail, much of the trail is meh, a long way to drive to the trailhead.

The trail itself is beautiful right now. Lots of shade and wildflowers. It is a steady incline the whole way to the falls, but is very manageable. The falls themselves were a bit disappointing due to the lack of snowpack from this past winter. Like others have mentioned take timpanooke trail and stay right at the fork with the log. From there it’s a few gradual switchbacks to the falls. Word of caution, getting to the actual falls requires you to do a little bit of climbing up some rocky area ensnared with tree roots and the falls themselves are on a somewhat sheer cliff face.

the falls had little to no water and the trail wasn't well posted. have to be careful you don't continue on the timp trail.

Fantastic trail. Beautiful, family-friendly while still being a bit of a challenge. Beautiful falls at the end. Can get crowded, but if you go early it's just you and the wilderness! Watch for wild life; I saw a mother moose and 2 calves with her!

Great hike. Read previous reviews to follow the 7.7 mike hike and to stay right at the log so it worked out well! Lots of shade. Great for dogs. Proved to be a good workout!

This is a beautiful hike and the wild flowers are starting to appear. The waterfall isn't very big, but still really pretty so bring your camera. I will say that if you have bad knees this might not be the best hike for you. Also, the trailhead isn't marked very well so it's a little confusing. Take the trail marked as Timpooneke (the one marked as 7 miles.) You'll pass a few small water falls on the way up and then you'll see a big log where the trail forks keep right at the fork and keep going up. You'll see the bigger waterfall and when you keep going up for about another half a mile it levels off to where you have a beautiful 360 degree view, very beautiful! =)

Beautiful hike!! Gorgeous views, the flowers are popping out everywhere and very well maintained. Only sad the Falls weren’t as big due to our warm winter.

Very nice trail with beautiful views! I didn't read the reviews that said to stay right at the fork (honestly don't remember a fork) to get to the top of the falls so we ended up climbing up some rock and cutting over about the middle of the falls. Will definitely try again to find the right way to go to the top!

Was a lovely evening hike with the kids. We had shade cover most of the way up that you wouldn’t have in the morning. There were a few forks in the trail that were unmarked so we followed a previous commenters directions and made it there no problem. Lots of smaller waterfalls to cross over on the way up added to the fun for the kids.

This may be easy for fit persons, but for those who are just starting to get in shape and are heavy, this is a bit of a strenuous ascent - but a great workout and well worth the views! We went on 6/10 mid afternoon - no snow and the trail wasn't crowded, we passed maybe a dozen other groups. We went up past the falls, took a right at the fork and hiked another mile to a windy clearing below Mt. Timpanogos where we spotted a female moose and a doe with 2 fawn.

Great little hike. The trail is a gradual incline all the way to the falls and easy enough for the whole family to enjoy. The scenery is beautiful and the falls are spectacular. We went on Sunday (6/03) in the afternoon-evening and the weather was perfect. The trail wasn't very crowded either. This is a perfect quick hike for anyone. Remember to stay right at the fork near the end of the trail and it will take you to the top of the falls.

The trail to this hike is pretty narrow and crowded. This trail gets a lot of people. The scenery while hiking is quite beautiful. It’s a peaceful environment, you get a calm feeling. Getting to the waterfall is a bit tricky. It looks like the trail ends but you just have to keep going. Successfully made it to the top but there isn’t much to see, I wouldn’t recommend going any further than the second level of the waterfall.

Beautiful hike or running trail. There is no snow left on the path. I went in the evening (6/3) and didn’t have any problem with crowds. Enjoy!

Fabulous easy hike. It took me a minute to figure it out but here's some info that helped me. When you get to the trailhead it forks into three different paths. Take the one that says Timpanooke trail. It will go up to the right a bit and you'll pass a hiker registration board and a small building. This is the trail you'll take all the way up to the falls. A while down the trail, you'll run into another fork. The left trail has a log in the middle and is closer to the sound of the falls. The right trail goes up father and leads away from the sound of the falls. Take the right trail. It will lead you to where you want to go. Taking the left trail at this fork will only take you to the bottom of the falls and it's a long hike up to the top. I ran into some great people who directed me on which way to go yesterday. S/O to those awesome women!

Beautiful hike! Perfect for kids. Go during the week to avoid crowds

We parked from the gate at the alpine loop so it added about 4 miles in total (2 miles each way). Gorgeous weather and no one on the trail due to the long precursor of a walk. It’s a lovely valley to walk in.

Always one of my favorite hikes in the area. Just went up today (5/20) path was clear and barely any snow on the trail up to the falls. Usually around this time of year there are large patches of snow to hike over. The falls were a bit small today, I’m hoping as the snow on the upper mountain continues to melt the falls will grow, but with the limited snow fall this year I’m not holding my breath. Regardless of the amount of water this is always a beautiful area and one of my favorite mountains to be on in the summer.

Didn't pick the best time of year for this one, went in early March. The snow got deeper and deeper as we got closer to the falls till we were waist deep for a good quarter to half mile. It was incredibly difficult to hike in that much snow but it was beautiful and I imagine it would be a pretty easy hike if there wasn't any snow! Part of the road was closed which added a little distance but not much.

Simple and fun