Scout Cave Trail

Scout Cave Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ivins, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

cave

Great hike for kids.

We love this hike, it's great for all ages. We have a tradition of running the stairs portion. I (41 yo male) did it in 20 seconds, 13 yo boy - 30 seconds, 11 yo boy - 33 seconds, 8 yo boy - 30 seconds and our 68 years young grandpa did it in 48 seconds. Caught a few lizards and even a snake along the way.

I loved this hike! I went early and only saw one other person until I got back to the trailhead, then there were a few families headed out. The scenery changes a few times which makes it really enjoyable...and the black rock with the red rock behind made for some awesome pictures. I was there in April so there were bright colored flowers in bloom...and I even saw a few rabbits.

Fun Hike!

Enjoyed spotting baby desert tortoise. Hiked in Mid May. It was still quite hot from 8:45-10:45 am. Wear a hat and tennis shoes, not sandals.
Trial begins as tramped red sand, moving to white sand with black basalt rocks. Descending into a sandy stream bed.

Monday, April 22, 2013

The first part of the trail is on top of an old lava flow. Though much of it is covered with the "red dirt" that is prevalent in the area there are still many places where sharp pointy lava rocks protrude out of the trail surface. I highly recommend shoes with sturdy soles. Much of the rest of the trail is in or next to a stream bed. This stream bed is almost always dry except during rain as it is not fed by snow melt.

The Scout Cave is almost exactly two miles (according to my navigation ap) from the trail head. It is a large open cave. No spelunking here. The cave was deep enough to provide a little shade for a peaceful picnic with a great view.

Saturday, June 02, 2012

This is a fun hike thats close to town. Like any hike in the St George area, make sure you pack water is doing it in the summer months, June - August. I've take my daughters (10 -and 16) on it several times and they love it. The trails follows along some cool red rock and also goes thru died up lava. You will have to hike thru some sandy area.
NOTE, Much of the year this hike is closed.

Sunday, May 06, 2012