Sawmill Trail

Sawmill Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Very difficult trail. It’s mostly a game trail that climbs steeply and steadily up at a good angle. Great for exercise and conditioning, not much to see and it doesn’t go anywhere noteworthy. it just runs into another trail the leads back down the mountain.

Hiked this today and summited rocky mouth canyon peak. Its a great peak with fantastic views all around. If you make it to the final meadow up big willow make sure to turn north (left) and hit the summit. Its another 700 ft climb from the meadow but well worth the final push. Definitely a five star hike. Its grueling enough, has fantastic views and there are very few people on this trail.

I found a Kia car key/keyfob today way up big willow just below the summit. Let me know if its yours (kbquire-at-gmail).

Not a hike for a first date. Even after being married for 22 years the initial steep part of hike taught me things about my husband that I never knew. He is in better shape than he lets on. Fortunately his stamina and cheerfulness are contagious because I would have turned around long before reaching the avalanche sign. The amazing views and a nice lunch alongside Little Willow Creek with wildflowers and butterflies were a great reward. Two hiking poles each are a must for us middle aged hikers on Sawmill Trail. Otherwise I would have fallen for sure several times.

Really lovely, more isolated trail. Dogs are not allowed (as numerous signs remind you). We went up 2 miles, to the ridge crossing back into Big Willow. Further on there was more snow than we wanted to deal with on the N facing slope. It is very steep, but mostly the footing (at least one that bottom half) is pretty good.

I give this only 3 stars based on several factors. For solitude it rates a five. For being well-maintained I give it a one point five. It is very difficult to follow in the Big Willow forested area. Once out of the forest the bushes have nearly overtaken many portions of the trail. I call it trail- oriented bushwhacking. The views are a four if you make it into the Big Willow drainage. I have been up this trail 25 times + and it is still often difficult to stay on it. Someone has put red metal markers on key trees and those help. If there is a ton of snow, be careful - getting lost will be easy.

Only went to the first stream due to lack of time (had already done a little hike before that and was curious about this trail). Beautiful hike with great views. Starts out steep. I plan on going back and going farther.

Only one on the trail today- in good condition until ~6900 ft had several recent downed pines. Turned around at 7400 ft due to snow and ability to see trail.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

I completed a loop starting from the Sawmill trail head, going up and over into upper Bells Canyon and exiting the Bells Canyon trailhead on Wasatch. Fantastic route at 10.5 miles. There was no snow on the east facing slopes dropping into Bells. I did refill my camelback at the stream in Bells and my total time was 5.2 hours.

Friday, June 30, 2017

This is a hard trail that is steep!! I rather liked it because of the lack of people. I gave it four stars only because the trail has skee making it somewhat treacherous on the way down. I also don't think this is the trail for showing your love of the outdoors to someone out of shape based on condition of the trail. I found a lovely little waterfall two miles up. I didn't get all the way because I was lacking time but will definitely be exploring this trail more.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Fun trail, didn't go too far up this time. About 20 mins up there is a beautiful look out over the backside of the mountain along with a great view of the valley.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

I hiked this trail at the end or April or early May but some how it never ended up on my completed trails list. This hike turned out to be quite an adventure. After getting to the top of the trail we decided to hike down the chute at the top of the trail and go over to the Sawmill trail. The OSM layer showed a trail going down the chute. Boy that decision a mistake the trail must have been a ski trail. The chute was still covered with hard pack snow. I glad we had chains in addition to snow shoes because the chute was too steep for snowshoes. Because of the hard snow and the steepness it turned out to be one of the scariest descents that I've ever been on. It was a big mistake. Once we got to the bottom and back on the Sawmill trail it turned out that it saved us a hour and reduced the distance quite a bit. See my trail of the Eagle track for full details.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Hiked up the sawmill trail numerous times but until yesterday never beyond the first creek after crossing over into Big Willow. Yesterday I kept going up the steep wooded slopes and beyond. The trail opened up some above the thick forested section and there were great views back down the valley. I kept going up through Aspen and scattered fir trees, sometimes steep and other times through small meadows. The Rocky Mouth ridgeline on the north side of the canyon appears almost like Bell's Canyon. I encountered another solo hiker and we encouraged one another to keep going. The trail is faint at times but the red tags on the trees and pink ribbon tape helped us keep on track. As we approached the top meadow another hiker appeared behind us. It was a man named Ted who was fit beyond belief and who said he hiked up there regularly. We followed him through the top meadow to a ridge overlooking Bell's Canyon with fantastic views of Twin Peaks, etc. It took me 4 hours up and 3 back down, crossing three streams in Big Willow canyon. My hiking app said I had gone 9.9 miles and 4911' elevation gain. Great hike but certainly challenging and on most days you will encounter few or no other hikers.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Little/Big Willow canyons and rocky mouth peak. Also Lone peak

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Is this the one that starts across from the church parking lot where they shoot the harpoon gun across the mouth of the canyon to anchor the massive American flag

Sunday, July 10, 2016

straight up the mountain. made it about 3 miles up then decided it was getting late. going to return and hike over into bells canyon and down wonder if the trail connects.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Steep. The wild flowers are blooming. Bring bug spray.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017