Sawmill Trail

Sawmill Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Only went to the first stream due to lack of time (had already done a little hike before that and was curious about this trail). Beautiful hike with great views. Starts out steep. I plan on going back and going farther.

Only one on the trail today- in good condition until ~6900 ft had several recent downed pines. Turned around at 7400 ft due to snow and ability to see trail.

I completed a loop starting from the Sawmill trail head, going up and over into upper Bells Canyon and exiting the Bells Canyon trailhead on Wasatch. Fantastic route at 10.5 miles. There was no snow on the east facing slopes dropping into Bells. I did refill my camelback at the stream in Bells and my total time was 5.2 hours.

This is a hard trail that is steep!! I rather liked it because of the lack of people. I gave it four stars only because the trail has skee making it somewhat treacherous on the way down. I also don't think this is the trail for showing your love of the outdoors to someone out of shape based on condition of the trail. I found a lovely little waterfall two miles up. I didn't get all the way because I was lacking time but will definitely be exploring this trail more.

Fun trail, didn't go too far up this time. About 20 mins up there is a beautiful look out over the backside of the mountain along with a great view of the valley.

I hiked this trail at the end or April or early May but some how it never ended up on my completed trails list. This hike turned out to be quite an adventure. After getting to the top of the trail we decided to hike down the chute at the top of the trail and go over to the Sawmill trail. The OSM layer showed a trail going down the chute. Boy that decision a mistake the trail must have been a ski trail. The chute was still covered with hard pack snow. I glad we had chains in addition to snow shoes because the chute was too steep for snowshoes. Because of the hard snow and the steepness it turned out to be one of the scariest descents that I've ever been on. It was a big mistake. Once we got to the bottom and back on the Sawmill trail it turned out that it saved us a hour and reduced the distance quite a bit. See my trail of the Eagle track for full details.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Hiked up the sawmill trail numerous times but until yesterday never beyond the first creek after crossing over into Big Willow. Yesterday I kept going up the steep wooded slopes and beyond. The trail opened up some above the thick forested section and there were great views back down the valley. I kept going up through Aspen and scattered fir trees, sometimes steep and other times through small meadows. The Rocky Mouth ridgeline on the north side of the canyon appears almost like Bell's Canyon. I encountered another solo hiker and we encouraged one another to keep going. The trail is faint at times but the red tags on the trees and pink ribbon tape helped us keep on track. As we approached the top meadow another hiker appeared behind us. It was a man named Ted who was fit beyond belief and who said he hiked up there regularly. We followed him through the top meadow to a ridge overlooking Bell's Canyon with fantastic views of Twin Peaks, etc. It took me 4 hours up and 3 back down, crossing three streams in Big Willow canyon. My hiking app said I had gone 9.9 miles and 4911' elevation gain. Great hike but certainly challenging and on most days you will encounter few or no other hikers.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Little/Big Willow canyons and rocky mouth peak. Also Lone peak

Friday, September 02, 2016

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Is this the one that starts across from the church parking lot where they shoot the harpoon gun across the mouth of the canyon to anchor the massive American flag