Sardine Peak Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,417 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Start at the lower Snow Basin Parking Lot. There are a lot of trails originating from this easily accessed location.

I really enjoyed this trail. If I hiked it again I probably wouldn't do the loop again but I would love to mountain bike it.

Beautiful views everywhere. Recommend clockwise, the same direction as the bikers. A lot of bikers so be aware on the way down, you’ll have to step to the side a lot. Very shaded, about ⅔ of the trail. Easy, smooth terrain.

This is a very beautiful long scenic hike. from the Pine view reservoir(sardine peek trail), to the hidden arch, and the Ogden overlook. This is a popular mountain bike trail what out for them. Be sure to bring enough water, and a snack when doing the whole loop.

Perfect hike - very gradual gradient up and down. Tons of wildflowers and gorgeous views. A must do! No snow, all dry. [hiked 5/16/20] enjoy!

Always love this trail and Ogden Canyon Overlook. Decided to bushwhack to the top of Sardine Peak where the trail splits off at the NE corner with the loop trail. If you decide to bushwhack, be sure to wear long sleeves and pants. Even with these, I earned a few bruises from the harsh oak brush. The brush starts out very thick at the bottom, but thins out gradually as you make your way up. The view at the top of breathtaking.

The weather yesterday was perfect for this hike. I was overdressed for sure, there’s lots of sunshine. Wander over to the Ogden Canyon overlook if you have time. The bench is a perfect place for a snack with a view. I set off on this trail with the intention of finding the arch, but because there’s not a clear trail and I didn’t want to venture too far off trail alone, I decided to venture out for that another day. I did spot it from the little lookout! I was glad that I’d overdressed when I got onto the trail that loops around. It’s super overgrown so having my jacket to throw on was nice while barreling through the branches and at one point I lost the trail enough to not feel comfortable going further so I went back the way I came. I’d probably skip the loop next time, or find a way up to the top if I had a friend with me.

Fall colors were going off as of 10/5. Lots of mountain bikers, saw a huge moose, and a cool rock arch just SW off the ridge from the overlook (check my recording to see where I’m “off trail”). Gradual incline and ample shade.

great morning walk..got a free shower on the way back down

Beautiful trail. Great views once you get to sardine peak. The butterflies were everywhere! Really cool. A little overgrown if you make the short loop around the peak but other than that highly recommend. Watch for mountain bikers!

Amazing trail, perfect views. Be prepared to share the trail with lots of bikers. We did the Sardine peak loop and it was overgrown with a medium amount of bugs on 7-4-2019. Saw lots of happy pups chasing their bikers up the mountain.

Gorgeous trail and definitely not hard, I’d say moderate at most. It’s a long hike but the elevation gain is so spread out that it’s not challenging.

Wed Jun 05 2019

I wouldn’t consider this trail hard, more moderate. Amazing views.

Sun Dec 09 2018

A great trail for snowshoeing! The east loop is longer than the west loop. Lots of critter tracks in the snow.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Great trail for both running and biking, Awesome views! Reccomend doing it clockwise as the switchbacks are a lot of fun coming down.

Sun May 27 2018

Great views of snow basin & Ogden valley! Scenery in late may was outstanding.

Fri Sep 22 2017

Extremely challenging trail for running...the hardest I've done to date. I completed it from west to east as part of the Xterra Trail Run Natl. Championships this year. Beautiful views along the ridge and the summit made it well worth effort!

Thu Jul 13 2017

Go up the west side and come down the east side for a great hike. Look for the arch on the west side of the mountain. the trail doesn't go to the peak, but if you look close enough you can find your way to the top. The view is totally worth it! We took a group of 14 to 16 year old boys and they all were able to easily hike it (out hiked me, thats for sure) Watch out for bikers on the trail as there's lots going up and back. lots of shade on both trails too.

Tue Jul 11 2017