Salt Creek Trail

Salt Creek Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nephi, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, horses, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,729 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a beautiful forested trail along Salt Creek. There is a good mix of evergreens, cottonwood, and maple trees. There are a few trees/deadfall to scramble over towards the top quarter of the trail. Moderate slopes in most areas. The trail crosses over the little creek 14 times, though most crossings are just a few hops across rocks. Several nice views of mountain canyons from trail, but most of trail your view is obscured to a few hundred feet due to forest cover. 70-80% shade cover. Gently sloped trail for first 1.5 miles or so then continues with moderate / moderately steep until the Nebo Loop road.

This is a beautiful trail. My wife and I backpacked in about 3 miles. In order to get as far as we did we had to walk through the creek a couple of times. the current wasn't bad for us but it would have been to strong for small children. The first time we walked through the creek was probably about 2 miles in. Most of the trail before that though was fine for kids with some trail experience. This has been an abnormally wet year so it is possible that in dryer years you could hike the whole trail without getting your feet wet. When we arrived at the Bear Canyon camp ground we decided to park near the entrance to the camp ground. There is parking right by the trail head but when we arrived most of that parking was taken up by vehicles belonging to campers. We hiked this trail as an out and back. the trail does end at the Nebo Loop highway, but there is no reason you couldn't hike to the highway then turn around and hike back to the trail head. Having my phone with the All Trails app was helpful. There were a few places where it wasn't immediately clear where the trail was but we were able to reference the app which showed us where we were on the trail, even though we had no cell reception. That is probably a feature that requires the paid subscription, which we got for dirt cheap on black friday sale. Also, bring bug repellent.

No one below really covers that this is a through hike , not an out and back , if you park at the mt nebo trailhead to the north on nebo loop, then park another car at the salt creek in bear canyon campground “which is group only btw drive through to the top right and park without paying.” If you start from the “end” it’s mostly downhill! But look to your north west behind you to catch the break away to the falls. Also this is a wet one so if you are packing bring sandals ! The current is strong atm so I’d say no little kids. There are a lot of packers who camp too close to the trail, just bugs me I guess. Very pretty and some great spots !

A fun trail and a great excursion. I would dare to say that this is even better then Bear Canyon.

Hiked again today, Oct 18, 2018. Some parts of trail were quite muddy and some snow in the shadows in higher 1/3 of trail. A few trees/deadfall to scramble over especially towards top. Moderate slopes in most areas. My 11 yr old son made it nearly to the top but we turned around at 4 miles. I'm guessing by our mapped location the top of the trail at Nebo Loop road is about 4.3 to 4.5 miles from the start (about 9 miles round trip). We counted the trail crossing over the little creek 14 times, though most crossings were just a few hops across rocks. Didn't get wet, but I'm betting in spring you'll get your feet wet somewhere along the trail. Saw several bear tracks near the top. Great fall hike.

Beautiful forested trail along Salt Creek which was dry for the first mile or so then flowing further up the trail. Good mix of evergreens, cottonwood, and maple trees. Passes by Salt Creek Falls, which is a nice little waterfall that is a good family hike destination. About a dozen stream crossings from top to bottom which are very passable in summer and fall but during spring expect to get wet feet. Several nice views of mountain canyons from trail, but most of trail your view is obscured to a few hundred feet due to forest. 70-80% shade cover. Gently sloped trail for first 1.5 miles or so then continues with moderate / moderately steep until the Nebo Loop road.