Salt Creek Canyon Falls

Salt Creek Canyon Falls is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nephi, Utah that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This easy trail starts at the northwest end of the Bear Canyon Campground and heads through a narrow forested canyon along the Salt Creek. The small waterfall at the end is not only beautiful, but also provides great access to stand directly beneath the falls and get a very cold shower. You will need to cross the fence at the end of the campground to start this hike - the locals drive cattle into the canyon, and the fence is there to keep them out of the campsites. This might be a pay area depending where you park. No overnight camping in the area except on designated spots.

Easy hike, small waterfall, but pretty area:)

Trail was closed when we went on march 28, 2018, unless you wanted to walk the road up. The surrounding area was cool though and we blazed our own little trail around for a bit.

There are definitely better trails out there however, this is still worth doing in my opinion. Its not very scenic and the waterfall is small. Still fun to explore around though.

I found it! Just needed to turn left at the first sign of water going across the trail. I did find the rock with a arrow pointing to the waterfall.

I never found the waterfall... Not sure if I missed a turn or just got on the wrong path I hiked for two hours and went until the brush was too thick to go any further-lots of beaver dams. It was a good hike but I'd like to see the waterfall. I would like to try again, any ideas where I went wrong?

Really pretty hike. Easy with lots of trees and shade. There were arrows made of sticks and rocks pointing out the trail to the waterfall right after crossing the creek. About .25 miles before crossing the creek is an old cottonwood tree with a square carved out. It used to be a "mailbox" for ranchers and miners a long time ago.

Fun and beautiful hike. Surprised how much water was still running in August. Very quiet and not busy. Would give it 5 stars if not for the huge amount of cow manure everywhere. Easy enough that kids can do it, but far enough to feel like you got a workout.

Just Beautiful! There's a sign to mark the path by the gate. It's an easy hike but does have lose rocks in some areas. Lots of butterflies and cows. Once we reached where the creek crosses the trail we turned left up the falls. The water level was great, not too harsh. There's a nice pond to splash around in the falls at the top. Cool water, can be a bit slippery, and my kids loved it!

Beautiful hike with fantastic views! Perfect for the family.

Nice trail for kids. Cool waterfall area for kids to play in water.

Such an awesome hike, and the waterfall is beautiful!

Great hike for the family beautiful and cool for a summer afternoon. Still a lot of water coming off the falls. Great day.

Great hike water was running fast. Took a group of 15 people from ages 5 to 40 and everyone was having a great time.

I really enjoyed this hike! I feel like it was definitely worth the drive from the north end of Utah County. Tons of butterflies. We crossed two tributaries before we ended up at Salt Creek River. We finally figured out we had to cross the river and take an immediate left the finish the short way up to the falls. The trail isn't marked but you can see the falls if you look to your left once you cross the river. The water is moving very fast. Bring water shoes. I hiked the whole thing in chacos.

Really nice hike, the weather wasn't too warm. Was easily able to have a 3 yr old make it almost the entire way on his own. We did need to help kids cross the water ways, but for the most part was really easy.
Ran into about 3-4 other groups, but wasn't too busy. Some had difficulty knowing where to turn. I'd advise either using a pace count. Depending on how the runoff flows it may or may not be the third tributary you cross.

The trail was perfect today! The water is high and moving pretty fast. I had 3 children with me today, and they did great. It was a little tricky getting across the river. The waterfall was beautiful with so much water!

Really beautiful, easy hike. I was able to do it without much trouble while 5 months pregnant.

Beautiful. No drastic ups and downs. We also had to cross the avalanche. So maybe the first of May might be a better time.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

we took 3 small children. two had to be carried. about 1/3 the way up there was a huge avalanche of snow covering the trail. Some kids were scared, but we managed across it because it was melted enough. I know it would be perfect in about 3 more weeks. Still ...very beautiful! And just the right amount of adventure and hardwork for small children.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Would have given a higher rating, but the amount of cow/horse dung on the trail was pretty extensive. Otherwise a nice, easy hike.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Fun, easy hike with smaller kids (6-10 yrs) with a nice pay off at the end. Waterfall is really cool. About 3 miles total.. 1.5 each way

Friday, July 29, 2016

hike was enjoyable with good scenery. missed the falls and hiked much further. it gets steeper as you go, but the creek is nice. on my way back I saw the falls and hiked to them. Family was there with 2 large barking dogs that made the things a bit less than I wanted. did cool off briefly and left quickly. will go again hoping fo a better experience.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

The trail was lovely, but quite rocky in some places. It was full of beautiful scenes as well as lots of butterflies! It was beautiful!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Great hike for small kids. Beautiful mountains. Waterfall was awesome!

Monday, July 04, 2016

Beautiful, tons of butterflies today. Very rocky hike. We were the only ones on the trail for the 3+ hours we were there. Took lots of pics and enjoyed the scenery along the way. Altitude gain was actually 500 ft.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Started at about 10:30am, it was pretty hot but there is a good amount of shade along the way. Followed the creek the entire way so it was perfect for our two dogs. We were the only ones on the trail so our dogs were free to roam without a leash. The waterfall was GORGEOUS! I would definitely recommend this hike!

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Amazing beauty. You follow a creek all the way up to the falls. It felt a little bit longer than a 1.2 or 1.3 mile out and back. Both my 6 year old and 8 year old had no problems. Even my 3 year old went about half way on his own before I put him in the child backpack. The last little bit to get to the falls was a little more tricky. There is not a lot of space at the base of the falls. My family really enjoyed this hike. The travel time to get there from Provo is an hour, but it was worth it.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Weather was great. We were the only ones on the trail. Very easy. There was a lot of spring run off. We crossed the water then turned left and went up to the falls. It was so nice and cool up there like free A/C. Picked up litter on the way back and took Nebo Loop home so we could see Devil's Kitchen as well.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Beautiful quiet hike

Monday, August 10, 2015

Went on this hike with two kids and two other adults. Great views, and loved the small waterfall. The only drawback was that there were so many cattle in certain parts of this canyon that you ended up driving them down the trail and dodging their green pies. Was worth the trip even with the bovine nuisances.