Salt Creek Canyon Falls

Salt Creek Canyon Falls is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nephi, Utah that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This easy trail starts at the northwest end of the Bear Canyon Campground and heads through a narrow forested canyon along the Salt Creek. The small waterfall at the end is not only beautiful, but also provides great access to stand directly beneath the falls and get a very cold shower. To see the waterfall, be sure to turn left when the creek crosses the trail. You will need to cross the fence at the end of the campground to start this hike - the locals drive cattle into the canyon, and the fence is there to keep them out of the campsites. This might be a pay area depending where you park. No overnight camping in the area except on designated spots.

Very low traffic, only saw one other person. So my family and I had the waterfall to ourselves

This seems like it woulda been a nice trail, but we did not finish it. Firstly, we were worried about bears. Secondly, we did not see any water in the creek so were concerned the falls were dry. Not sure if that was the case though.

This was a great family friendly hike!! We had 7 people each at a different skill level and it was fun and doable for all.

We did this trail in early June. This hike is pretty easy with great scenery. We went early in the morning and there were not many people on the trail. We kinda got lost. We continued to follow the trail straight ahead after crossing a stream instead of turning left. The waterfall was just there. This short hike was fun and will definitely visit it again someday.

This trail is super easy, very scenic and great for everyone. That being said, there are times the trail is a little overcrowded. Great trail for trail running. I like to visit the Falls, then get back on the trail and continue on the main trail. We’ve made it 5 miles and it’s pretty steady of a climb with lots of beautiful little spots along the way. You’ll get your feet wet because you cross the river several times, but there are substantial less people because it’s a more challenging hike the further up you go. Definitely worth doing!

The reviews here are inaccurate. When you come to the large river crossing, look north, you made it to the falls. if you want to turn this into a hard hike, this will lead you on a horse trail that leads all the way up to the Salt Creek overlook from the main Nebo loop. You follow this trail and cut through the river many times so be prepared to get your feet wet. I have clocked it around 10 miles round trip. Elevation changes would probably be around 3 to 4,000. If you were really ambitious you could go all the way to Mt Nebo trail.

Easy hike, small waterfall, but pretty area:)

Trail was closed when we went on march 28, 2018, unless you wanted to walk the road up. The surrounding area was cool though and we blazed our own little trail around for a bit.

There are definitely better trails out there however, this is still worth doing in my opinion. Its not very scenic and the waterfall is small. Still fun to explore around though.

I found it! Just needed to turn left at the first sign of water going across the trail. I did find the rock with a arrow pointing to the waterfall.

I never found the waterfall... Not sure if I missed a turn or just got on the wrong path I hiked for two hours and went until the brush was too thick to go any further-lots of beaver dams. It was a good hike but I'd like to see the waterfall. I would like to try again, any ideas where I went wrong?

Friday, August 04, 2017

Really pretty hike. Easy with lots of trees and shade. There were arrows made of sticks and rocks pointing out the trail to the waterfall right after crossing the creek. About .25 miles before crossing the creek is an old cottonwood tree with a square carved out. It used to be a "mailbox" for ranchers and miners a long time ago.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Fun and beautiful hike. Surprised how much water was still running in August. Very quiet and not busy. Would give it 5 stars if not for the huge amount of cow manure everywhere. Easy enough that kids can do it, but far enough to feel like you got a workout.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Just Beautiful! There's a sign to mark the path by the gate. It's an easy hike but does have lose rocks in some areas. Lots of butterflies and cows. Once we reached where the creek crosses the trail we turned left up the falls. The water level was great, not too harsh. There's a nice pond to splash around in the falls at the top. Cool water, can be a bit slippery, and my kids loved it!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Beautiful hike with fantastic views! Perfect for the family.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Nice trail for kids. Cool waterfall area for kids to play in water.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Such an awesome hike, and the waterfall is beautiful!

Monday, June 19, 2017

Great hike for the family beautiful and cool for a summer afternoon. Still a lot of water coming off the falls. Great day.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Great hike water was running fast. Took a group of 15 people from ages 5 to 40 and everyone was having a great time.

Monday, June 12, 2017

I really enjoyed this hike! I feel like it was definitely worth the drive from the north end of Utah County. Tons of butterflies. We crossed two tributaries before we ended up at Salt Creek River. We finally figured out we had to cross the river and take an immediate left the finish the short way up to the falls. The trail isn't marked but you can see the falls if you look to your left once you cross the river. The water is moving very fast. Bring water shoes. I hiked the whole thing in chacos.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Really nice hike, the weather wasn't too warm. Was easily able to have a 3 yr old make it almost the entire way on his own. We did need to help kids cross the water ways, but for the most part was really easy.
Ran into about 3-4 other groups, but wasn't too busy. Some had difficulty knowing where to turn. I'd advise either using a pace count. Depending on how the runoff flows it may or may not be the third tributary you cross.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The trail was perfect today! The water is high and moving pretty fast. I had 3 children with me today, and they did great. It was a little tricky getting across the river. The waterfall was beautiful with so much water!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Really beautiful, easy hike. I was able to do it without much trouble while 5 months pregnant.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Beautiful. No drastic ups and downs. We also had to cross the avalanche. So maybe the first of May might be a better time.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

we took 3 small children. two had to be carried. about 1/3 the way up there was a huge avalanche of snow covering the trail. Some kids were scared, but we managed across it because it was melted enough. I know it would be perfect in about 3 more weeks. Still ...very beautiful! And just the right amount of adventure and hardwork for small children.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Would have given a higher rating, but the amount of cow/horse dung on the trail was pretty extensive. Otherwise a nice, easy hike.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Fun, easy hike with smaller kids (6-10 yrs) with a nice pay off at the end. Waterfall is really cool. About 3 miles total.. 1.5 each way

Friday, July 29, 2016

hike was enjoyable with good scenery. missed the falls and hiked much further. it gets steeper as you go, but the creek is nice. on my way back I saw the falls and hiked to them. Family was there with 2 large barking dogs that made the things a bit less than I wanted. did cool off briefly and left quickly. will go again hoping fo a better experience.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

The trail was lovely, but quite rocky in some places. It was full of beautiful scenes as well as lots of butterflies! It was beautiful!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Great hike for small kids. Beautiful mountains. Waterfall was awesome!