Ruth Lake Trail

Ruth Lake Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 262 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

At the west end of the lake, the trail forks right and travels southwest to meet the Lofty Lake Loop.

Beautiful hike. It's a little up hill in the beginning. Nice scenery. Only saw 3 other hikers.

Pretty chilly, around 35°. But wasn't bad as long as I was moving and dressed warmly. The ponds and lake were absolutely beautiful, and I didn't see anyone else the whole time. A tiny bit of snow in the shade, not bad at all.

Easy. Takes about 20 minutes Fishing wasn’t great, no bites no sign of fish in lake.

Very easy hike - in and out with a little loop around the lake. Very scenic. I would give it 5 stars but the beginning of the trail was rank with dog/human feces and there was dog waste just off the trail.

Great simple hike to a gorgeous lake with ideal camping sites. We caught brook trout in the lake and ate them for dinner. There is an awesome hike that starts from here, lofty lake loop, which was a nice day hike for our trip. Would definitely do again.

A truly easy hike in a gorgeous setting. Completed 8/23/19. Very few bugs. Not much shade but the temps are so cool it doesn’t matter. Ruth lake is beautiful. Will definitely do again!

My new favorite hike! Wildflowers we gorgeous a week ago with plenty of life left. My kids 10, 8 and 5 did this trail easily and even my 2 almost 3 year old could do most of it, just a lot of help over boulders. Next time I'm in the Uintah's, I plan to do this again!

Beautiful right now! Super easy for kids.

Really great short and beautiful hike ! A lot of bang for your buck ! The drive is worth it !!

Beautiful and easy hike! Lots of wildflowers blooming right now! Pretty reflections on the lake. Be sure to bring mosquito spray.

Beautiful trail that is great for kids. Nice lake that is fun to fish.

July 26th late bloom season but the flowers were amazing!! It was a rainy windy day so keep the bugs at bay but I would imagine if it had been sunny and nice out they would have been pretty bad!

This trail had beautiful meadows and a wide array of wildflowers. Great hike for beginners - not too steep. We made it to the lake but didn’t walk around the lake because of the mosquitoes. Bring deet - they’re relentless! I’d definitely like to go backpacking here when the mosquitoes aren’t as bad.

Glorious hike! Beautiful alpine meadows, surrounding breathtaking views. Not muddy at all and hardly any bugs. Brought the hammock and relaxed while my husband fished and caught a lovely little trout. Not busy at all. For such a short hike, it packs a punch! Hard to beat the views!

Beautiful trail. Would be great for day hike. Too many loud campers for an overnight stay.

Very accessible!

Great trail. Still snowy and wet. Will come back again.

Great hike! We ended up backpacking and staying one night at Ruth Lake. Wasn't too busy for overnight campers. Peaceful & beautiful area. The water was lovely! The boulders were a bit rough at the beginning of the trail with the overnight pack but was manageable for the kiddos and beginners in our group after that.

Beautiful, fairly easy trail with a lot of places to get off the trail and explore. Fantastic photography opportunities as well. I’ve taken the dogs and kids as young as 4 and always enjoyed this hike.

Sun Oct 28 2018

We loved this trail!! It is fairly easy the whole way. The steepest part is right at the begin where there was a little bit of snow, not much more than an inch and the rest of trail was very good. You get to the end and Ruth Lake is so so gorgeous! Not a long time commitment and so wonderful!

Wed Oct 24 2018

Good backpacking starter trip for the young kids.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Short hike. Lots of people. Really pretty too. My 6 year old did it no problem carrying his own pack.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Took my boys on this trail. It was a great beginner trail for them to get started on. We went on a Thursday evening and there was only one other group of campers on the other side of the lake. We found a good spot in the trees and setup our hammocks. The weather was beautiful and surprisingly, the mosquitos were minimal. I would definitely come here again.

Wed Aug 22 2018

As someone who doesn’t love steep or strenuous hikes, this was perfect! It’s a rockier trail in the beginning but pretty flat and you get to water really fast. Brought the dogs who had a great time swimming as we made our way around the lake. It smells like pine and there were Lilly pads on the lake and a beautiful mountain backdrop! Also super secluded, although we went on a Sunday afternoon. Honestly loved it and would happily return!

Tue Aug 21 2018

Beautiful when the flowers are blooming early summer/Late June