Rock Canyon Trail

Rock Canyon Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Look for the Rock Canyon Trailhead Park, not to be confused with Rock Canyon Park. The Trailhead Park is often confused with the Park at Rock Canyon where there is a large grassy hill called The Bowl. You want to go to the parking lot area that you see in the Aerial view.

I thought this was a pretty nice hike. We were kind of let down by the end of the trail, and there weren’t many overlooks. All in all, it was a beautiful mountain! Very long. Pack plenty of water! This area is perfect for rock climbers.

Love the winding canyon, some rough gravel in some parts, but fairly flat footing.

water fountain of the gods within the first portion, which helps in the warmer months, and access to other trails like Squaw Peak trail which is a bit more difficult.

Hiking: I've always enjoyed this trail and hike it pretty regularly. It is very rocky and pretty much steady incline the entire way but the views are incredible!

Biking: I've biked this once, and it was an awful experience. The climb is a beast, huge rocks and gravel all the way up a relentlessly steady incline. There are quite a few sections that, no matter what your fitness or skill, you have to get off and push. The descent is very unpleasant--like riding a jackhammer. It is a miracle I didn't get a puncture. I would seriously reconsider riding this trail without a full suspension 29er (unless you're a masochist).

I agree with the other reviews. the footing is like large gravel which makes it similar to walking through sand. I got tired quickly. I consider myself to be in okay shape, I exercise daily and eat healthy, but this hike kicked my butt. It is pretty steep with very few flat spots. my husband is superhuman and didn't even break a sweat. It's pretty but nothing spectacular. The water fountains were broken so bring a lot of water. It took us 4 hours with plenty of breaks for me. There were also plenty of offshoots we didn't explore. I enjoyed it but would not do it again

I agree with what others have said about the end of the hike being a let down. However, right before you get to the campground, there is an overlook that is quite impressive. If you're hiking during spring, be aware that the trail may become more muddy the higher up you go.

Pretty but the end of the trail is kind of a let down visually. Overall a good hike, but i wouldn’t do it again

Glorious!!!

went up to the camp ground last summer. I'm pudgy and slow, but I enjoyed it very much! wear tall boots, saw a couple of rattlesnakes closer to the camp ground.

Beautiful in the snow! Will bring the kids next time, the dog loved it.

Pretty icy, wouldn’t recommend doing it without cleats and maybe some sticks.

Lots of fun great for getting some tap at the top

The name is very appropriate for the hike, for it is very rocky at the beginning. Be sure to bring comfortable shoes, water, and snacks. 4/17/2016

nice little hike really enjoyed the beautiful scenery

It was a good hike! There were some steep parts, but luckily there was a lot of shade after the first little bit. Be careful on the sections that rocky when you're coming down, a lot of our group lost their footing.

Nice hike that's close to the city, though it is rocky and steep like others have said.

The first mile roughly is very hot and exposed as it follows the creek. Lots of rock climbers along the way. Between mile one and two you cross 5 bridges back and forth over the creek, under shade. The last mile to the campground is very shady with a view of the valley at one point, and just past that is a view of the water cascading down the mountain side.

Extra tip: A little ways after the fifth bridge, there is one spot where the trail splits at a trail marker. It just had a number on it. If you take the left trail, that will take you to Squaw Peak. If you take the right, that trail takes you to Rock Canyon Campground (where there are bathrooms).

There are two running water fountains on the trail you can use to refill water bottles.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Hiked up to the campground. Lots of water. It is a bit rocky in some places but has nice shaded areas and a good incline to keep your heart rate up. Only passed a couple people on the way up.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Beautiful hike, however, it's extremely rocky. I hiked for a little over 3 hours on rocks the entire time. I'm glad I did it, but I doubt I'll do it again.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Lots of water in the creek. Great workout.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Beautiful and a bit steep but it is worth the hike. One of the best around.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Trail is rocky, and the views you don't get to see till you go back down or turn around. Still fun and easy.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

A pretty diverse hike. Rocks, wooded shady area for about the second half, and an excellent view near the campground. I would bring water even with the water fountains.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Monday, May 29, 2017

Heavy traffic until you get past the 4th bridge then it thins out and the hike becomes much more enjoyable. Dog friendly! Up hill out and down hill back.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The rocks were a little tricky but overall this hike was about 7.5 miles with some amazing views along the way. Dogs struggled a bit with the incline and the loose rocks, but all in all nice moderate hike. Went on Monday and there was no one out, it was great.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

It had outstanding scenery!! But the rocks were so hard on your knees and almost annoying how often you slipped around on them. If looking to get miles in then this is the hike for you, but for a nice calm hike wouldn't recommend.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

best in spring, crowded in the afternoon/weekends

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Very beautiful country. Not too hard but a good 2.5/3 hour hike.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

I took my husky/collie mix. We both loved that you hike next to the water a good portion of the hike. From what my GPS and activity tracker measured, this app was wrong about the distance.... AGAIN! I hiked to the campground and back and it was about 7.5miles round trip. Still a great hike. Very beautiful. I love that the scenery changes a few times throughout the hike. It was a fun trail to run when you get a little higher up. About when we got to the bridges was when I really started enjoying this hike. We didn't see any wildlife, but we did pass a few caves.

Friday, May 05, 2017

Gorgeous hike! It was perfect weather this week, and not nearly as many people as I was expecting on the trail as I got further in.Not too difficult, and lots of places to stop and enjoy some beautiful views!