Rock Canyon Trail

Rock Canyon Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Look for the Rock Canyon Trailhead Park, not to be confused with Rock Canyon Park. The Trailhead Park is often confused with the Park at Rock Canyon where there is a large grassy hill called The Bowl. You want to go to the parking lot area that you see in the Aerial view.

The rocks were a little tricky but overall this hike was about 7.5 miles with some amazing views along the way. Dogs struggled a bit with the incline and the loose rocks, but all in all nice moderate hike. Went on Monday and there was no one out, it was great.

It had outstanding scenery!! But the rocks were so hard on your knees and almost annoying how often you slipped around on them. If looking to get miles in then this is the hike for you, but for a nice calm hike wouldn't recommend.

best in spring, crowded in the afternoon/weekends

Very beautiful country. Not too hard but a good 2.5/3 hour hike.

I took my husky/collie mix. We both loved that you hike next to the water a good portion of the hike. From what my GPS and activity tracker measured, this app was wrong about the distance.... AGAIN! I hiked to the campground and back and it was about 7.5miles round trip. Still a great hike. Very beautiful. I love that the scenery changes a few times throughout the hike. It was a fun trail to run when you get a little higher up. About when we got to the bridges was when I really started enjoying this hike. We didn't see any wildlife, but we did pass a few caves.

Gorgeous hike! It was perfect weather this week, and not nearly as many people as I was expecting on the trail as I got further in.Not too difficult, and lots of places to stop and enjoy some beautiful views!

Nice hiking day, decided to go to Rock Canyon in Provo. Lots of water flowing down the creek. And the sun poked through at various moments to lighten the sky and surroundings. Plants at lower elevations starting to bloom. Definitely a hike to do in the fall!

Not too hard and a great 2.5 hour hike. Some nice views when you get close to the campground. We got caught in the rain at the top and had to hike out in the rain but I loved the smells of the pines from the rain. Great trail.

I really liked the trail and how the creek ran along it.

Downsides:
Not clearly marked-- ended up on another trail and on private property.
Large rock gravel-- the entire trail is made of large gravel. By the end, my dog had trouble walking on it.

Rock formations are beautiful and the river that you cross a few times is nice. If you are planning on doing the full 3 miles and back be prepared for an incline out but the decline back. I really enjoyed it and so did my dog.

The rock formations are just incredibly beautiful the entire way.