Reflection Canyon is a 18.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Powell, Utah that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length18.7 miElevation gain1873 ftRoute typeOut & back
dog friendlyBackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsrunningRiverViewsWildflowersWildlifeRockyScrambleNo shadeFee
Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area charges a fee to enter. Fees are $30 per vehicle/vessel or $25 per motorcycle. If you are entering on foot or bike the fee is $15 per person. You can also purchase a park specific annual pass for $55. Backpacking Reflection Canyon is an intense, challenging hike that takes you through slot canyons, climbing up and down shifty sandstones and traversing rugged terrains and ravines. With that said, you'll be blessed with a view like no other of Reflection Canyon found at the end of the hike. Offline map is recommended. Users have reported that the trails are not marked well.

Small turn out on the road is parking.

Visitors Center (8a 4:30p) 755 W. Main, Escalante, UT 84726 435-826-5499

Enter Grand Escalante Staircase National Monument, from there you'll be traveling on Hole in the Rock Road (You'll need a 4WD for this trip.) The last 5 miles of the trip is where you'll enter Glen Canyon territory. Keep a look out for a small parking area on the right (37°15'21.70"N, 110°57'47.25"W).

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (184)
Photos (153)
Recordings (166)
Completed (243)
Shayna Fillipovich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 9, 2021
Hiking

Road in was snow covered, no snow on hike. Great views! Overnight temps in the low 20s/teens.

View Shayna's Recording
Grace F
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 30, 2020
Backpacking
View Grace's Recording
Gabriel Meyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 23, 2020
BackpackingGreat!No shadeOff trailRockyScramble

woke up to -3 degree weather. wind gusts over 100 mph. but amazing. lots of sand and hard/slick rock. almost no water sources unless u are a VERY experienced hiker/climber. loved it out here, easily doable in an afternoon, but id def recommend camping out at least a day.

View Gabriel's Recording
Sean O'Connor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 22, 2020
HikingGreat!

Seeing if anyone is going in January? I’d like to do the hike but sounds like I won’t be able to do it since my car won’t make it out to the trail. If you wanna make a friend let me know! Ig- seann_oconnorr

Mallika Ranjan
BackpackingNo shade

Did this on 12/19 as a backpacking trip. Don’t go to the marked parking lot - the last downhill is gnarly. We were in a Subaru Outback. The drive is good till the last 7 miles but the outback was just fine. Do explore and go to the left once you reach the canyon - good camping sites there. We went with winter gear ( 0F bags) and 4L water each. We were cozy, comfy and had an extra liter of water each left on return. It was around 40F in the day and 20F in the night. We are so happy we went. The trail is petty easy to follow till you come to the slick rocks - look for carins and check AllTrails.

Rekha Goel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 19, 2020
View Rekha's Recording
Christine Blake
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 4, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeRockyScramble
View Christine's Recording
Ryan Peterson
View Ryan's Recording
Michael Tao
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 30, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

Absolutely amazing. I would rate this very difficult (I hike few short hikes a week). I’m not a big water drinker- so I brought 5L and that was the perfect amount for me given the weather conditions. We hiked when it was 60F during the day, and 37F during the evening. The first 6-7 miles was pretty easy to follow the trails or follow the canyons on the right of the trail. However, the last 2-2.5 miles requires Gps/skills for sure. Walking on large slabs of rocks means trails are hard to spot. Follow the AllTrails coordinates. Once you get to the canyon, make sure to steer towards the left, where the prime spot for camping is. I don’t get sunburn easily but I sure did on this trail. Sunrise is the prime photo op! - park where AllTrails start - NOT google maps trail head unless you have a proper lifted 4x4 - drive very very slow in the last 10-20 miles to trail head - travel as light as possible - 5L per person - sun block and hat are absolute musts - follow AllTrails - steer to the left upon arrival for best camp grounds - arrive to campsite before dark

Yamilette Labarthe
Hiking

Hi, I’m planning on doing this hike this weekend. Anyone have any pointers? I’ve read the reviews about bringing a gps, packing light, and bringing a lot of water. Also, the water level in reflection canyon? Thank you, Anything helps. :D

Duran Allison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 21, 2020
Hiking

great hike and rock scramble with gorgeous scenery. Reflection Canyon is well worth the trip!

View Duran's Recording
Richard Seely
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 20, 2020
Hiking

This was a physically challenging hike for me and my friend. He carried in 5L and I carried in 9L. We were both carrying in heavy camera setups, which doesn’t help. You’ll mostly want just a 20mm and maybe a 50mm lens (35mm). A tripod is recommended. The last two miles to reflection canyon is challenging, with you having to walk along the side of steep inclines and it’s easy to slip.

View Richard's Recording
Pete Fischer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 18, 2020
HikingGreat!

Anyone that is looking to hike this that has a 4WD car and is looking to make a friend/let me tag along with them let me know and contact me on Instagram @peteyboiiii. Been a bucket list hike for me that I haven’t been able to get to bc of the road. Also love meeting people just as passionate about views as me. Let me know!

Fifi J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 16, 2020
Hiking

Hi I’m wondering what the current water level is at reflection canyon, is it low enough to see the curves clearly?

Emily Hsia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 11, 2020
HikingNo shade

Thank you AllTrails, its was nearly impossible without app on the rock part in the dark to find the point. I had rented a Wrangler to get me down the Hole in the Wall rd. And im so glad i did. I did this on Halloween with a near full moon. One of the best hikes ive ever done. Worth the trouble, def want to do it again with a new moon and lighter camera gear.

Justin Chan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 10, 2020
BackpackingNo shade

We went November 9th and did an overnighter. Weather range was high of 41F to low of 25F with 10-20 mph winds and some snow at one point. We cowboy camped but was okay with our 20 degree bag. Hand warmers and puffy were clutch due to total consistent exposure. We carried in a total of 10 liters with two of us and a dog in about 26 hours total in the overnight stay. That was exactly enough water for us with a "add water" dinner and breakfast. The 50 mile drive from Escalante on the 4x4 road took us 3 and a half hours with our Nissan Xterra we averaged speed of 14 mph. The second half stretch was gnarly for sure and drove in at a crawl but had no problems. We didnt see anyone on our way in. The parking wasnt apparent to us if google gps didnt tell us. We didnt see any trailhead marker. Easy trail follow up until the last 2 miles which I dont recommend doing at night like we did. With head lamps we had difficulty route finding rock Kearns. Had to backtrack several times due to limited visibility. I try not to use Gaia app unless necessary and it was a must for us at that point due to limited visibility for rock Kearns. Fun hike all around I would recommend this for experienced hikers. Sunrise view panorama and seclusion was worth the hike for sure. We saw one person in our two days out. It was a great hike having my husky with us in this November weather. This was my first mountain cat sighting on the far side of the canyon across the water at sunrise.

Tripp Gwaltney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

If anyone is coming out today November 8, I’m parked at the trail head and need my car battery to be jumped.

Melissa Busby
Hiking

Bringing a map/gps for route finding is a must. Very fun trail with spectacular views!

View Melissa's Recording
Jonathon Sharpton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 4, 2020
BackpackingNo shade

Most epic hike, made it to the point in the dark and woke up to the sunrise. The first part of the trail is marked but the last 2 miles or so is finding your way on the slab, I downloaded the map and used that as my aid. The way back in the light was much easier

Yadira Vilchis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 23, 2020
HikingNo shade

Majestic!! Incredible! I love it We started at 9:30 and finishing at 7:20. I tracked my hike with strava and relieve and they marked 17 and 16.5. It was so long. We brought about 3 litter of water and it was not enough. All trail map works very well, however in the las 2 miles three miles is really confused because there are more than one way to follow up. We used as reference a backpacking guide with pictures. That helped us very much. To be there is an expletive I will never forget.

Abbey Ostrander
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2020
HikingGreat!Off trail

ITS LONG! But worth every step. Honestly this hike was incredible, yes it’s a very long hike but it’s mainly flat and over all pretty easy besides the distance. We started around 5:00am and got back by 1:30 and we hung out at reflection for about an hour. Being a lot of water I brought 4liters and I was out by the time we got to the car. Recommend doing this in late fall. Temp was comfortable almost all day. Trail is all exposed with zero shade, I would highly recommend not doing this in the summer. Best early spring of late fall. If this isn’t on your list put it at the top. This one comes in on my top 5 favorite hikes! Also! Make sure you have this map downloaded or have a GPS the trail is pretty easy to follow up until the rocky section. It gets pretty hard to follow.

Anthony Ventimiglia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trail

Hiked this trail on June 24th. The road in is washboard, rough, and unpleasant. 4WD and high clearance recommended. I agree with most that the first 6mi are well marked but make sure you actually find the trail from the “parking lot” marked on Maps or you will wind up wasting time, water, and energy in the slot canyons. With the red rocks on your right the path sort of takes you in a U shaped path that seems like it’s increasing work, but because of the canyons it is necessary. The last 2 miles are brutal, you absolutely need GPS, you will get calluses, and if you’re as unwise as me and are there close to midday the slickrock seems reflects the suns heat, amplifying the climate. There were 4 juniper trees the whole path. I got to the viewpoint around 10:45am but was already running out of my 8L water and there was no trees there, so I stayed all of 5 minutes. I left my Jeep at 6:30 and got back at 2:30; my car read 106 and I was entering the later stages of heat exhaustion. If you are going to do this in the summer, seriously consider night hiking or camping at the trailhead. I only narrowly avoided facing my own mortality and this trail while incredibly satisfying for the view is not to be underestimated.