Red Pine Lake Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,099 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area. The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream. No Fires.

Love love love this trail. Did it again with the kids today. We turned around at the snowpack which was just past two miles up the trail since the kids don’t have spikes or snowshoes. Highly recommend this.

Fabulous hike, as per usual! With lots and lots of snow. And I mean lots! I wore spikes and gaiters after the first bridge and was glad I did as it’s quite slippery, slushy, and sketchy. (Lots of postholing with water melt underneath.) Be careful and sure to pack out your trash, I picked some up at the lake. Enjoy it!

Very scenic! Most of the trail is covered in snow as of 5/15, so I recommend bringing hiking poles and wearing long pants and waterproof boots if you are going to hike it within the next several weeks.

icy

Pretty sweet. I brought snowshoes and spikes but didn’t need either. Gets super slippery when the afternoon sun softens the snow/ice. I was thankful for my hiking poles. Saw a lot of folks coming down, but when I got to the lake I had it all to myself.

icy

Amazing trail! Idk why someone marked is as a hard trail, literally you could go there with fam! There was snow all way up, I started hiking it early in the morning and snow was frozen, which make it easier to go up. Lake was frozen and really nice to polar plunge! Highly recommend hiking shoes on this trail!

Dirt first 100 yards; snow all the rest of the way up to four feet deep. Departed trailhead 2:00 pm, snow getting soft and slick in spots. Had spikes. Used poles on the way down.

Still lots of snow. 4-5 feet at the fork a mile up (see pic). I wore spikes and gaiters, and needed them. As always, a sublime experience!

Did this hike on 4-27, saw 3 people the entire time (2 snowshoers and 1 skier). I only wore hiking boots and was fine the whole trek, snow shoes or spikes probably would have been helpful at times but it’s definitely possible without them. Beautiful hike!

Did this April 18, 2020. Snow all the way up. Mostly packed but a little slushy or soft in many areas. The further up you get the less packed it is but it is still manageable without snowshoes. I did use spikes gators and poles. It was a little slick but not too bad. Probably would be fine without spikes. I took mine off when I got closer to the lake. The lake is froze over and snowed over. Can’t really tell it’s a lake. Lots of skiers not a ton of hikers. The skiers were ok very polite and always maneuvered around me even when I tried to get out of the way they said they would go around. It was a nice day to hike.

icy

Good hike! First 2/3 was packed down just needed spikes. Last 1/3 was post hole but still manageable. I brought my poles and that helped on the last 1/3 up and on the way down.

icy

Beautiful hike today! The path is packed all the way to the lake. I used my microspikes and poles. Only saw a few people on the trail.

icy

Gorgeous and loads of snow. At least 6 feet deep. Trail is slushy and slippery but thankfully hard packed all the way, so I just needed my spikes and gaiters.

Covered in snow, definitely need crampons.

icy

Beautiful hike! Used spikes the whole time, but needed them on the way down. Be careful of Postholing off trail.....it’s deep.

Slick and slushy, but beautiful!

icy

After mile 2 you will definitely need snowshoes. So glad we brought ours, otherwise the remaining miles to the lake would have been a post-holing festival. Beautiful winter wonderland up there!