Red Pine Lake Trail

Red Pine Lake Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream. No Fires.

Loved this hike. Views of the valley, tree's, tree's and more tree's then opening, then tree's then the gorgeous lake. Trail was packed down pretty well until the last half mile or so. Then snowshoes would be helpful but we didn't use them. A sled would have been helpful on the way down as well.

Hiked on 1/5/19, most area are covered with packed snow, but last 1/4 will definitely need snowshoe.

Magnificent views, deep powder, and beautiful forests.

Amazing hike into the Pfeifforhorn Cirque area!

Got the opportunity to bust out the snowshoes!

Was very tempted to try for Pfeiff, but another day perhaps ...

:-) _/|\_

I have probably done this trail 10 times. It is so easy for me to get to from my house and is the perfect distance if you only want to go out for 4 hours.

I used this trail as a training hike for a high-altitude hike in California, and it worked beautifully. I have done it in the warmth of summer and the light snow of late autumn to test my winter hiking gear.

This is a great into hike to the fabulous hikes of Little Cottonwood Canyon with amazing views and an awesome lake to have lunch at before heading back down.

Beautiful trail. Definitely would recommend poles, snow and ice for a solid mile. Would rate this overall as moderate if not for the snow. Only a steep incline for about a mile. Almost made it to upper lake, but snow got a bit too deep without poles. Will be heading back to do again - awesome trail!

Great trial, especially in the winter. I'm 50+ and it is hard though.

Well established trail, fantastic views of Little Cottonwood, the trail gets pretty steep on the approach to Red Pine. If your feeling adventurous continue past the lake up to a few lakes higher in the valley and get an amazing view of Pfiefferhorn. Went in late September, it got pretty cold and windy higher up. If you do go to the upper lakes, some of them might be dry, but Upper Pine is a worthy sight, one of the most beautiful Wasatch Lakes in my opinion.

So I did this hike today (OCT 14th) with my wife. It was snowing when we pulled up to the lot but we decided to trek on anyway. The views were beautiful. We saw a total of 6 deer (although two of them may have been the same ones just several hours apart). We also saw a moose. The going got tough towards the top because the last mile or so is about .6 mile elevation. Investing in some spikes for the shoes is probably a great idea. Some gaiters are probably not a bad idea but hiking poles definitely help to probe the snow. The lake was frozen and it was gorgeous. I forgot my sunglasses so when the sun came out the snow kinda hurt my eyes! Some hikers that were there before us said the route up to Pfeiferhorn was too tough because the snow was too deep. Overall great trail. Easy to follow.

This isn’t too bad. Only hard for about a mile. If you do this hike though, you might as well go one more mile to pfeiferhorn in my opinion though. :)

Its snow time and its kind of moderate..Half of the trail covered with light snow, cold at the lake. Moose sightings and fall leaves make this trail awesome!!

An amazing trail that offers good rugged uphill trekking.
Bring your hiking poles they will make your life much easier on this one.
Allow yourself extra time for a picnic by the lake.
A beautiful glacier fed lake awaits you.
Wildlife sightings are common, I wore hiking boots for extra ankle support for climbing on rocks.
You can’t go wrong up here on Red Pine or White Pine Lake. Enjoy!

A great trail with scenic views! Pretty tough trail with constant uphill. Worth it though.

This trail is absolutely gorgeous. The changing leaves are beautiful right now and the lake is beautiful. We accidentally found ourselves between a Bull moose and cow moose. The cow moose was only about 10 feet away from us so it took us an extra 20 minutes to get down since we decided to backtrack a bit to be safe and wait for the moose to move. I've seen a lot of moose up here. They are such neat animals. Just be careful!

Beautiful scenic hike overlooking the Little Cottonwood Canyon, yellow aspens were vibrant. A consistent uphill not any switchbacks that I can remember. Lots of rocks! Will hike this again

Tough hike but so very worth it for the views!

Ok so it was great and I saw chipmunks, black squirrels, and A MOOSE! But once I got over 9,000 feet, I couldn’t breathe LOL. I grew up in Florida and lived there all my life, so I’m not used to high elevations and I couldn’t breathe worth a damn once we got to 9,000 feet. But it was cool! Would totally go again. Lots of sliding rocks though, be careful coming back down from hiking!!! It’s easy to twist an ankle or fall.

Good hike if you are looking for a tougher alpine ascent. Trail is a rock garden and steep to red pine lake. We opted to continue on to upper red pine and stay the night as the .5mi further to upper from red pine lake weeds out a lot of other campers. We ended up choosing our own path up and down from upper red pine and choose to navigate the boulder field. It was a more direct route than using the pseudo trail in place and you really can’t miss locating upper red pine. Recommend bringing minimal water for the ascent to save on weight and just filtering more once at the lake for the return trip.

Great hike. Two days ago went to White Pine Lake, yesterday to Red Pine Lake and today to the two smaller lakes above Red Pine which maybe are 'upper red pine lake' which was well worth the extra climbing, route finding and boulder hopping just for the views back down to Red Pine Lake... I'll post some of the photos. Trail condition definitely better to White Pine Lake with more switchbacks making it less stressful on knees and easier for less experienced hikers. Red Pine Lake and the area around it more scenic than White Pine and the hike to White Pine a better workout while also on a real 'trail' whereas trail to White Pine is closer to an old jeep trail in many areas... that's fine, just a difference. Plus we saw two moose on Red Pine Trail yesterday and I just missed another two cows today according to a hiker coming down.

Great hike. Moderate climb most of the way and more difficult last mile or so up to Red Pine. Water level was low. Hiked up to the top of the bowl for a great view of Red Pine.

Great trail with some scenic views.
Second 2/3 up can a challenge if not in moderate shape.

Great trail! I haven’t hiked since I was in my early 30s. The trail is steep in sections but manageable if you are in ok shape. I did the round trip in 3:40 total hiking time. The trail got busy around 11:00am as I was making my way down so go early for some nice peace and quiet.

Got lost several times. I enjoyed the difficult adventure.

The lower lake is a little lower than normal but it’s definitely still there. There are two smaller lakes above it and an area that looks like it normally holds water but is empty now. That’s where we camped. Very flat and soft.

If you are looking for challenging, this is he hike. A lot of uphill leg burning going in and a lot of downhill kneecap hurting on the way out. Pretty and once at the lake you see very few people. Check out the dam and the dates written in it.

I did this hike in early May and the lake was still frozen and we had to hike through a snow patch for about a mile. That said, I would definitely do this hike again once all the snow is melted. the lake was pretty and the hike was shaded the whole way

Great hike this time of year, be aware THE LAKE HAS NOT BEEN DRAINED. The water levels can get low this time of year especially with dry conditions, but Red Pine and White Pine do have water in them.

I hiked up this morning. Be forewarned - they have drained the lake. It is currently a much smaller, much less attractive lake. I'd skip hiking here until it is refilled. And I don't know when that will be.

Amazing trail. Morning is definitely the time to go. It’s gradual at the beginning and gets very steep at the top. There were only a few good flat sites at the top for a tent, though.

Gorgeous area. I’ve done it in the summer and winter.