Red Pine Lake Trail

Red Pine Lake Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

2099 feet

The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream. No Fires.

Great, challenging hike. There is still a lot of mud and water on the last mile. I saw 5 people with significant injuries Sunday. All of them were wearing sneakers or sandals. You absolutely need hiking boots on this trail in it's current state.

Really enjoyed this. It is definitely a knee strengthening endurance trip both up and down. Started at 9:45am and got to top at noon. Plenty of little stops to catch my breath (visitor from Dallas). At the 2nd waterfall the trail becomes hard to follow so stay on what looks like a rock slide (the only part the slopes upward). Lots of mosquitoes at the lake so bring spray.

Prettiest hike i've ever done!! Highly recommend doing this! I went a few days ago and their was still snow spots and mud, so wear shoes that you won't mind getting a little wet.

This is one of my favorite hikes. Gives you a workout but the Lake is beautiful. Still a bit of snow on the trail near the lake. Glad I had my trekking pole.

This was a difficult hike going up. It's a consistent ascent all the way up to the lake. the lake view is incredible. I carried some camera equipment and was glad I did. I was rewarded with spectacular shots. be aware of slippery snow at the rop.

I am a 5’11” 280 lb guy with almost no hiking experience. Yes, this trail was difficult, but taking adequate stops and bringing a camelback with a water filter helped a lot.

Seriously beautiful lake at the top. I spend a lot of time at ocean level so I think the thin air made it a bit more difficult for me.

The hike up took me about 3 hours and 45 minutes. You will want to spend some time up there taking in the views. The hike down was pretty easy. There was still some snowpack at the top, but I found a walking stick along the way and it helped.

So worth it!

Beautiful! Still plenty of snow that last mile, just follow the tracks as much as you can. Hiking poles would come in handy for the way down, but not totally necessary.

Wow! This hike was spectacular. Stunning views the entire way up. Still plenty of snow up top. We made it to the lake but it was sketchy in sneakers on the snow. Wait a week or so. This hike kicked my butt. The lake was worth it!

Pass through interment snow patches last mile to lower Red Pine... Doable without spikes if you persist. Upper Red Pine challenging (slow) waist high postholing and Boulder hopping but majestic

Amazing trail, don’t rush it. Get up early and take your time to stop and look around, there’s some great views of the whole canyon on the way up. Wouldn’t recommend for someone in less than decent shape. If you think you can handle it then definitely push passed the snow to the lake. Enjoy

Very .... very nice.

Beautiful trail. Still lots of snow on that last mile. Would recommend bringing poles or spikes. :)

If you do that hike without hiking shoes or boots you are going to slide like me on your ass when you are going down. I forgot my water but it won’t be a problem cause i drank water from melting snow and i’m ok don’t worry. Anyway it was fun.

last three quarters of a mile still covered in snow. Bring micros and poles if you have them not necessary if you don't.

Easy going for the first mile. The trail has some snow and water running down it, but it gets much worse once you reach the upper bridge (the one you don’t cross). From there on be prepared for snow and lots of water running own he trail. Your feet are going to get wet. I had micro spikes and I had no trouble with the snow. There were four groups totaling 8 people on the final snow field ascent when lightning started to strike. We all chose to bail even though we were in a quarter mile of the lake. Hail rain lightning...it was an awesome day. Met some cool people in the process. There is plenty of water on this hike so carry a filter and a few less liters of water

About the hikers: two non-local, relatively fit 20-somethings. No real experience hiking in snow. I'd say our pace was slow - maybe a 5 minute break every 30 minutes.

We hiked this the week of May 6, 2018. We ran into a local on the trail who said all the snow would be gone in a week, but when we were there there was plenty of snow. We had micro-spikes and trekking poles and were very happy to have them.

We started the hike at 8:15 AM. The following are duration timestamps for when we hit certain markers. Maybe that will be helpful for someone else to estimate their pace.
0:45 - Arrived at the split with White Pine Lake Trail
1:15 - Came to the Lone Peak WIlderness sign
2:20 - Came to an unmarked bridge near a sign that marked 'Red Pine Lake' and 'Trailhead'. The trail doesn't cross that bridge.
3:30 - Made it to Red Pine Lake
4:15 - Started back
4:45 - Back at unmarked bridge we first reached at 2:20
5:40 - Back at Lone Pine Wilderness sign
5:58 - Rejoined with White Pine Lake Trail
6:30 - Back at trailhead around 2:30 PM

So it took us 3:30 to go up and only 2:15 to come back down. We consumed about 3 liters of water between the two of us and that was fine.

There were a couple of different routes that diverged somewhere around the unmarked bridge mentioned above. One went through an open meadow and the other through the trees, but I don't think they were more than 50 yards from each other at any time. We came up through the trees and down through the meadow, but it didn't make much difference.

For us this was a pretty strenuous hike, but I loved it! Very few people on the trail and great views. Also spotted a Dusky Grouse. I'm glad we got an early start and very glad we had the spikes and trekking poles. We rented those at REI for very cheap.

There are still large area of snow going up the trail, your feet will get wet. I'm looking forward til the snow it gone. Enjoy!

The trail was completely covered with hard pack snow all the way to lower Red Pine. It got a little soft up to the upper lakes but manageable with cleats. The accent all the way to the saddle was steep and sketchy as there were only a few tracks to help stabilize your feet. Still an absolutely beautiful day to be on the trail. All lakes are still frozen over of course but the Ridgelines look amazing under snow. Keep trekking

This was such a gorgeous hike. Beautiful views of the canyon and when you get to the lake it’s stunning. The bugs were pretty bad so definitely bring your bug spray.

Awesome hike. Snow is still really deep but compacted for most of the trail. Fairly steep and can get difficult in areas.

Such a beautiful hike. Nice inclines.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've done. Nicely snowpacked for the majority of the trail, just used microspikes and carried snowshoes which were helpful for the top near the lake and walking around the lake which was frozen and snow covered. Completed 3/11/18.

Beautiful during the fresh snow. Avalanche risk was moderate to considerable. There were freshly down trees between the take-off of Maybird Gulch and the lower lake that warranted significant care and sticking within the tree line. Need snowshoes/skis this time of year.

Nice winter hike. Trail is in pretty good shape right now. Snowshoes are overkill and there’s only a bit of ice.

Beautiful hike. It's pretty icy right now, spikes would be helpful.

Amazing and beautiful. The lake is frozen over and most of the upper trail is snow and ice.

It was a little icy, crampons would be ideal, but we did it in hiking boots... no problem. The frozen lake looks beautiful. Saw 2 large moose near the trailhead

Beautiful. Not too steep. Great hike!

beautiful scenery. great day hike. starting to get a bit snowy this time of year but we made it up and didn't need crampons or microspikes