Red Pine Lake Trail

Red Pine Lake Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,099 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area. The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream. No Fires.

Been meaning to do this one for a few years now, finally got to cross it off first thing this morning. I wouldn't call it a hard hike, I think it's fairly moderate. There's some steep and rocky sections but all in all it's nothing too crazy. The lake was just gorgeous, set back in the cirque kind of like Lake Blanche is. It looks a lot deeper than most of our other mountain lakes here (could just be the heavy snowpack?). All in all this trail is a 4/5 for me because the trail isn't anything special but it was a great endpoint at the lake. Didn't see any large wildlife, just the standard chipmunks and groundhogs and the only surprise was a big blue grouse I stumbled on in full strut.

Awesome hike! Definitely start your hike in the early AM for shade and to avoid the crowds. Also, be ready for snowpack conditions for about the last 0.6 miles. All in all well worth it and the views are spectacular. Oh... and bring bug spray!!

Awesome Trail! Beautiful wild flowers, snow pack, green foliage, Majestic mountains, rivers and the gorgeous Red Pine Lake worth the hike. it was my first hike in many years but did well. we saw Dear and even a Moose. July hike 2019 surprised to see snow when we've been having hot temperatures.

Loved this hike! Nice, wide trail so you can walk side by side with your hiking buddy and easily fall back to single file to pass people. Wildflowers are blooming, mostly shaded, still snow the last half mile (July 13) so come prepared to hike up and down steep, slippery snow mounds.

Amazing hike. Like the previous post said, still a lot of snow the last 0.6 miles. It was hard to find/stay on the trail at that point, I just followed the (majority) of the footprints. The snow was slushy so I would highly suggest spikes—I didn’t have mine today and it made it more challenging. But the lake was stunning!!! And the views on the way up were incredible. In all honestly it was a fairly moderate hike—the incline wasn’t too bad at all. There was plenty of shade, not too many bugs, and no snakes!

Great hike, still allot of snow left the last 0.6 miles. Even with the snow it is completely doable without crampons or micro spikes, but bring them if you have them. It is beautiful the entire way, the lake has minimal ice left and is worth the effort the last bit to see it. I experienced no bugs and shade through most of the hike. Perfect weather and temps right now for this one.

Possibly my favorite day hike in the Wasatch. Snow for the last 3/4 mile or so, download the map before you go!

I’m 21 weeks pregnant and I did this hike yesterday! It was fun. There is some shade in areas and it’s not all uphill climbing. About the last 0.5 miles we were hiking in snow. It helped to have hiking sticks but you could get by without them. Still plenty of snow. We were able to make it to the lake and the view was so beautiful. Then on the way back we kind of skied and sled down so to speak using our hiking poles and that was so much fun. As snow is melting in areas, there is water flowing like a creek and mud in areas but not an issue if you have hiking boots on especially waterproof ones. You can do it in tennis shoes or non waterproof ones but it may get your feet a little wet.

Fantastic hike! If you’re willing and able, I would definitely recommend continuing on up to the peak of Pfeifferhorn - it’s well worth it!

my 15yo daughter and I did this hike and I wasn't well prepared for the snow at the top and the drop in temperatures, fortunately we had extra wool socks to use as mittens and hats in the back pack and because if the snow the trail was difficult to stay on.

Such a great trail! The lake is still a little bit frozen but the view of it with the snowy mountains in the background is amazing. The last half mile is covered in snow so bring your spikes. Lots of spring runoff right now, bring extra shoes and socks your feet will get wet. The air is very fresh.

July 1, 2019 The trail is awesome, it is easy to do and great views, still snow for the last 1 mile and pretty much the trail is covered in snow/melting ice, which makes it hard on the way up and down since its pretty steep the las 1/2 mile. If you do not bring your snow shoes it’s ready hard but worth it!! Highly recommend.

This is a super nice trail, but I wish I read all the reviews about the snow. They aren’t kidding when they say there is still a lot of it. Hiking up it was a pain and I ended up sliding down on my butt, which was cold, but a lot of fun.

Had a ton of fun hiking this trail this morning. I did not bring poles or microspikes, but I personally didn't have any trouble climbing in the snow. Had a blast running down and practicing my shoe-skiing. Trail in great condition, although a little wet and muddy.

Hiked 6.22.19– like others are saying— the last 1.1 miles it’s solid snow and TONS of it. Take poles and micro spikes or trail crampons if you have them— makes it waaaay easier. You’ll be happy you did. Especially as you’re running down and pass others who don’t have them and are struggling/slipping :). Shouldn’t be postholing much at this point. And, bonus— I think the snow (with spikes/poles) make it easier to ascend the really steep bits that last mile! Also— no visible definitive trail once you reach the bowl area. There are some tracks from others but I wouldn’t depend on them— I did at first and went way off. Best bet is to download the AllTrails map before you go and follow along/correct yourself. Saw a few mountain cat tracks crisscrossing the “trail” but tried to pretend I didn’t see them :) Lake is frozen over, ground vegetation is scant at the top, new tree growth is bright green and it’s GORGEOUS! Compared photos from hiking it mid-July the last two years and seems like there’s no way the snow will be gone by then, this year. But I’m no scientist, so who knows.

Beautiful hike today but there was A LOT of snow. Lake is still frozen over. We made it without snow crimps but it was very difficult. Probably needs another month to melt. Lots of mud too. I’ll hike this again in a month.

First half to about 60% of the trail is clear of snow and relatively dry. You hit snow at about the last 25% of the hike and it is constant all the way up to the lake. Recommend spikes/crampons and hiking poles. Lake itself is still frozen with snow around the entire perimeter. Will probably be another month until fully melted.