Red Hollow Trail

easy 111 reviews

Red Hollow Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Orderville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Orderville is not known for labeling its streets so here's a tip on finding the trail head. Coming north on hwy 89 you'll make a right on road 100E...which isn't marked but is the same road as the high school and cemetery. Follow to the T and make a left...the road will curve right. Follow just a few hundred feet and at the next curve is where you can park OR if you have a 4x4 (something that can handle some deep sand) then continue on the sandy, unpaved road toward the water tower and park there. Hike the trail down and turn left...continue straight up the big wash (to the left) toward the red cliffs. Trail will dead end at the slots.

Easy fun trail. Worth it if you have the time.

Great short hike to a beautiful slot canyon! I hiked it with my English bulldog who can’t hike far, and she did great! We had the trail to ourselves!

great, short canyon. dry right now

Our trip hiking to the slot was wonderful, beautiful and mesmerizing. It was quick and relatively fast except we stopped for all the pictures. 10/10 would recommend. Also would recommend making ‘slot’ jokes the entire time.

Amazing little trail to a slot canyon we had all to ourselves! Using the map on all trails was helpful to get to the actual trailhead as we parked on the road because we didn’t want to brave the sand road in our car.

There are some very nice views on this trail. The first part is very easy but the the rope should not be attempted by entry level hikers. The driving instructions are confusing. Please see annotated pics I’ve added to the pictures section for some better guidance.

Very cute slot canyon! Didn’t go further than the rope due to my hiking squad but it was very cool the parts that we did do.

Best parts of the slot are after climbing up the rope. The slot section is very short before the rope. But the rope climb is quite difficult because there is a big rock at the top you have to climb around/over. We put our feet to the right of the rock, against the wall, while our hands were still on the left of it, and scooted our bodies over it sideways. Eventually there is a second rope which is easier, and almost immediately after that a 30+ foot vertical climb up a halfpipe tunnel, to what appeared to be the top of the rim. We couldn't do the vertical climb -- looked too risky. We hiked with 2 and 4 year olds. We were able to sort of hand them up the rope climb by using a little cave halfway up the rope. Could not have done this with older larger kids.

we walked in the sandy wash, and then we found the slot. we walked in there and found the dreaded rope everyone was talking about. there was a little family behind us so we let them go first and see how they did it. the key is to really trust the rope and DON'T PUT YOUR BACK AGAINST THE WALL! so we didn't make it past the rope, but we stopped and messed around in some crevices on the way out. because after all, if your hike is short, you gotta screw around a little right? so then on our way out we spotted another was leading off in another direction. we walked it and found another little Rock overhang with some deep sand on the way up. highly recommend this trail. I only docked a star because, well I think that they could replace the rope so it doesn't sound like it's ripping, and lots of people have tagged the walls. We loved it though!

Not sure if there have been some improvements to the road heading to the water tower, but it was an easy accessible drive for our AWD Mazda CX5. Some deep sand on the sides, but not too threatening. The hike up the wash was pleasant. We reached the rope climb, and as disappointing as it was, we were not confident enough to pass. The rest of the hike was great, excellent picture opportunities. On our way out, we decided to walk up the other wash to the south. It was very pretty this time of year, and we got alot more pictures, but there was no great destination, it dead ended in a box canyon.

loved this trail. we didnt see another person on the trail which makes it even better. the slot at the end is not very long but cool none the less. if you don't like the crowds and want to do a hike this is a good one.

Awesome, easy hike. Took our 2 year old and she had a lot of fun. Didn't go past the first rope but was worth it. Worth checking out, especially since it's not crowded.

Great beginners hike. Our first slot canyon. woot!

This is a must trail just for the shear fun of it! The slot narrows down to inches wide. It is worth it for a short sweet hike. Saw one family and one couple the entire time...nice relief from the crowds in Zion. Directions: enter the town of Orderville and turn east on Center Rd. next to Starlight Motel and across from the Sinclair gas station. Head east and turn left at street marked 200 (first left- cemetery on your right after turning) then head up through neighborhood and dirt road will be facing you up the hill. Drive up dirt road to fence and park. Walk down path to washout and turn left. Follow washout to the slot. Very cool temperature slot and a fun reward for a short hike. We loved it and the dog made it up most of the slot with a little help from us.

pretty neat short hike. For how empty the trail was I thought it was pretty cool with some good slot canyons. I made it up the 15 foot rope but I couldn't talk my wife into making the climb, so keep that in mind if you have kids or someone that doesn't like to climb. would have like to kept exploring upwards but still a beautiful walk.

I thought this was a beautiful canyon. The canyon walls were beautiful, the slot canyon has some great options for playing with chimneying if you want. I was solo, so even though the rope looked fun and cool, I need to go back with a buddy so I can see how pretty this canyon is past that part. I did a 360 video of the slot canyon to the rope on my blog. Check out what this rope challenge looks like and this canyon in 360 degrees. Shaunasadventures dot com.

We had a blast! Took our family reunion crew of 30+ people and every single person made it to the top. There is no way that could have happened without a few very helpful adults but it was so worth it! The hike is easy at times, challenging at times and beautiful the whole way! There are 2 rope climbs that require some nerve if you’re not into that kind of thing but every fitness level in our group managed to get through them.

6/5/19 Not much room to park, but there was only one other group that was there at the same time. The hike to the slots was sandy with a few spots of droppings from a horse that was fed beefarino (Seinfeld reference). Some climbing was involved to move further into the slots which isn’t great for smaller kids or dogs. Although I got a few nice pictures, I was pretty disappointed with this trail.

Read the directions below for the actual location of the trailhead, which is about 0.2 miles down a dirt road from where GoogleMaps says you have arrived. There are about 0.6 miles of slogging along a sandy wash and then maybe 0.1 miles of a very cool slot canyon. I turned around at the rope. There is another wash branching off to the right just before you enter the slot canyon, and if you follow that up into another canyon, it's nice, too. I was by myself until the end when I encountered two apparent stoners with a dog and a cat following them. You don't see a lot of house cats on the trails, so that was different.

Great trail. Super awesome scrambles!

fun short hike, wish the rope wasn't so high.

great

awesome beginner slot trail.

So much fun! Thanks to this app, I punched in the directions and it lead me right to it. You drive through a tiny town and end up at the top of a neighborhood, where you’ll find a dirt road. Take that all the way down to where it dead ends at a fence and water tower. The trail is to the right of that and takes you down to a soft sand wash. Then make a left and you’ll get to the canyon in about 1/4 or 1/2 mile. It was so beautiful! We only passed one other group walking through, which did make me a little weary being SO alone with just me and my 2 kids (ages 7 and 9). I was more worried about mtn lions stalking us than anything. But the canyon itself was amazing, and really cool to have it all to ourselves. There was still snow inside, which made for an even more unique experience. Wasn’t too cold. There are a couple tricky spots to squeeze through and climb up. We are all pretty fit and agile, and still was a little tough. But I highly recommend checking it out. We stopped at the spot with the 15’ wall with rope. My 7 yr old wouldn’t have been able to get up and I wasn’t about to try our luck haha Happy adventuring, fellow hikers! ❤️

beautiful hike! the views are amazing and the canyon is gorgeous! a little snow still in the canyon, made for a fun adventure!