Red Hollow Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Orderville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a must trail just for the shear fun of it! The slot narrows down to inches wide. It is worth it for a short sweet hike. Saw one family and one couple the entire time...nice relief from the crowds in Zion. Directions: enter the town of Orderville and turn east on Center Rd. next to Starlight Motel and across from the Sinclair gas station. Head east and turn left at street marked 200 (first left- cemetery on your right after turning) then head up through neighborhood and dirt road will be facing you up the hill. Drive up dirt road to fence and park. Walk down path to washout and turn left. Follow washout to the slot. Very cool temperature slot and a fun reward for a short hike. We loved it and the dog made it up most of the slot with a little help from us.

pretty neat short hike. For how empty the trail was I thought it was pretty cool with some good slot canyons. I made it up the 15 foot rope but I couldn't talk my wife into making the climb, so keep that in mind if you have kids or someone that doesn't like to climb. would have like to kept exploring upwards but still a beautiful walk.

I thought this was a beautiful canyon. The canyon walls were beautiful, the slot canyon has some great options for playing with chimneying if you want. I was solo, so even though the rope looked fun and cool, I need to go back with a buddy so I can see how pretty this canyon is past that part. I did a 360 video of the slot canyon to the rope on my blog. Check out what this rope challenge looks like and this canyon in 360 degrees. Shaunasadventures dot com.

We had a blast! Took our family reunion crew of 30+ people and every single person made it to the top. There is no way that could have happened without a few very helpful adults but it was so worth it! The hike is easy at times, challenging at times and beautiful the whole way! There are 2 rope climbs that require some nerve if you’re not into that kind of thing but every fitness level in our group managed to get through them.

6/5/19 Not much room to park, but there was only one other group that was there at the same time. The hike to the slots was sandy with a few spots of droppings from a horse that was fed beefarino (Seinfeld reference). Some climbing was involved to move further into the slots which isn’t great for smaller kids or dogs. Although I got a few nice pictures, I was pretty disappointed with this trail.

Read the directions below for the actual location of the trailhead, which is about 0.2 miles down a dirt road from where GoogleMaps says you have arrived. There are about 0.6 miles of slogging along a sandy wash and then maybe 0.1 miles of a very cool slot canyon. I turned around at the rope. There is another wash branching off to the right just before you enter the slot canyon, and if you follow that up into another canyon, it's nice, too. I was by myself until the end when I encountered two apparent stoners with a dog and a cat following them. You don't see a lot of house cats on the trails, so that was different.

Great trail. Super awesome scrambles!

fun short hike, wish the rope wasn't so high.

great

awesome beginner slot trail.

So much fun! Thanks to this app, I punched in the directions and it lead me right to it. You drive through a tiny town and end up at the top of a neighborhood, where you’ll find a dirt road. Take that all the way down to where it dead ends at a fence and water tower. The trail is to the right of that and takes you down to a soft sand wash. Then make a left and you’ll get to the canyon in about 1/4 or 1/2 mile. It was so beautiful! We only passed one other group walking through, which did make me a little weary being SO alone with just me and my 2 kids (ages 7 and 9). I was more worried about mtn lions stalking us than anything. But the canyon itself was amazing, and really cool to have it all to ourselves. There was still snow inside, which made for an even more unique experience. Wasn’t too cold. There are a couple tricky spots to squeeze through and climb up. We are all pretty fit and agile, and still was a little tough. But I highly recommend checking it out. We stopped at the spot with the 15’ wall with rope. My 7 yr old wouldn’t have been able to get up and I wasn’t about to try our luck haha Happy adventuring, fellow hikers! ❤️

beautiful hike! the views are amazing and the canyon is gorgeous! a little snow still in the canyon, made for a fun adventure!

Almost paid $100 for me and my man to go on a guided tour of Antelope slot canyon with tons of people not realizing it was a tourist attraction. We were both too grumpy to deal with people so didn't. So glad cause we got to see this slot canyon all by ourselves! Shannon's instructions on how to find the trail was spot on

This trail is difficult to find but SO worth it once you do! As a tip for finding it, follow the directions above and you’ll find yourself in a residential area, keep driving and the dirt road will lead to a tiny water tower which starts the hike. This hike was very scenic the whole way and ends in a very cool slot canyon that reminded us a lot of antelope canyon. We absolutely loved this hike and are so glad we took the time to find it. A must do!!!

Great slot canyon off the beaten path. No crowd and you may see no one. We went all the way to the end climbing all the ropes and obstacles. Very fun and challenging for me. Getting back down the rope sections was the toughest. I highly recommend doing this for a great adventure and to experience a beautiful and uncrowded canyon.

Monday, June 11, 2018

easy little short day hike. No issues, there are pallets and some ropes hung to help you over the boulder falls

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Cool slot canyon tucked in a hillside. We only made it to the first set of ropes and turned back because our bodies were fatigued from a full day of hiking in Zion, but it seems like the canyon continued up much further on climbing rope systems. Wish we had the time/energy to make it further. Someone has propped a pallet beside the first major boulder in the canyon to help with getting over it, so you shouldn’t need a buddy-lift.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Awesome and well worth it.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Great easy hike! Push on climb the ropes and keep going. We turned around after climbing the second rope. Somehow my track got deleted :(

Monday, July 24, 2017

This was such a beautiful hike

Monday, June 12, 2017

The directions to this trail lead me through someone's property which was blocked off. We were excited to stop here on our trip from Utah to Arizona but since the gate was blocked off at the old trading post we had to skip it.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

We hiked this trail with 7 adults and 8 kids between the ages of 1-5. We only made it to the boulders before the rope in the slot canyon, but it was a blast for the kids and everyone enjoyed the hike. With the little legs it took us about an hour and a half to do the first half of the trail, in and out. We'll definitely do this hike again when we're headed down highway 89 and need a place for the kids to stretch their legs.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Short and Sweet. Had the family and turned around at the rope grab. Since the narrows were closed in Zion, this was a great 2nd option. We were also the only ones out there. 3.29.17

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Great hike to break up some driving time .

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Nice short slot canyon for beginners. We took an all ages party of 20 and had a great time. We had a tough time with a spot at the beginning. Maybe it has become worse after a flash flood the other day. Eventually we were able to get all but my mother with knee and hip issues up the problem spot and go the rest of the way to the rope climb section which we turned around at. Someone needs to come in with a big pry bar to knock the Boulder down that is causing the issue. We went about 10 am and it was not hot till we got out of the canyon and had to make the hot half mile to our cars. Very worth it. We were all alone on the trail and that made it really fun. If it was busy it might be a chore.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Friday, July 22, 2016

Great directions by Lynn except that you turn at the elementary school not the high school. Took a crew from 3 years to 70 through with no real problems. A few scrambling spots where a 20-foot length of rope helps but there are few straps hanging there as well.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Walking in the dry river bed through soft sand was challanging especially with the summer heat and sun blazing on us and the wind blowing the sand into our eyes. We didn't quite make it to the end of the trail where the red hollows were. Looking at the pictures here I kinda wish we would have trucked a bit father. Hint: stay on the river bed, don't take the trails that lead off to the right, you'll burn up your energy before you get to the good stuff

Saturday, April 04, 2015

Orderville is not known for labeling its streets so here's a tip on finding the trail head. Coming north on hwy 89 you'll make a right on road 100E...which isn't marked but is the same road as the high school and cemetery. Follow to the T and make a left...the road will curve right. Follow just a few hundred feet and at the next curve is where you can park OR if you have a 4x4 (something that can handle some deep sand) then continue on the sandy, unpaved road toward the water tower and park there. Hike the trail down and turn left...continue straight up the big wash (to the left) toward the red cliffs. Trail will dead end at the slots. It's actually a very short hike and easily managed by anyone in decent health (obviously slightly longer if you need to park on the road by the new houses). It was spring break when we hiked it so we came across a few groups with kids who managed to scramble up the 3-4 boulders in the slots without issue. Great photo ops and a nice warm-up hike. On a side note, there's a nice German Bakery less than a mile up the road that serves lunch and great pastries...always a great treat after hike.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Very small slot canyon: but it's great to discover with children!