Learn more

Red Hollow Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Orderville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 1.5 mi Elevation gain 314 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Kid friendly Hiking Bird watching Views Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky Scramble
Description
Waypoints (0)

Orderville is not known for labeling its streets so here's a tip on finding the trail head. Coming north on hwy 89 you'll make a right on road 100E...which isn't marked but is the same road as the high school and cemetery. Follow to the T and make a left...the road will curve right. Follow just a few hundred feet and at the next curve is where you can park OR if you have a 4x4 (something that can handle some deep sand) then continue on the sandy, unpaved road toward the water tower and park there. Hike the trail down and turn left...continue straight up the big wash (to the left) toward the red cliffs. Trail will dead end at the slots.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (208)
Photos (128)
Recordings (163)
Completed (311)
Tina Carrillo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 20, 2020
View Tina's Recording
Brayan Murillo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2020
Hiking

The road leading up to the trail is totally doable. I have a prius c and it was fine. A few gnarly climbs with ropes. Definitely a little more difficult than I realized, but it was totally worth it.

View Brayan's Recording
Brittany Mishra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 24, 2020
WalkingNo shade

A short easy hike. Some wonderful rock formations along the way to the slot. The slot itself is short unless you can use the rope to get up further. I tried, but couldn't get a safe hand grip on the smooth rock on the top. Got some good pics. If you want longer cooler slots, go to peekaboo and spooky on the hole in the rock road.

Ginger Poling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
HikingGreat!

We rented an AirBnb in Orderville and this trail was right behind our cabin. We "hiked" it a couple of times while here on vacation. Getting to the slot canyon is a tad annoying through the sand (I HATE SAND haha) But once you reach the slot canyon it is super cute and fun to play around inside. Trail is not marked very well. Once you get to a fork you will see some white sand hills and white sandstone pillars in front of you and what looks like a dried up sandy creek bed, go left to reach the slot canyon.

Devin Trently
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
HikingGreat!Scramble

Great place! The canyon makes you feel like you are in Indiana Jones. After a short way into the slot canyon there is a rope to climb to get to the next section. I tried this and it was easy to get to the top but wasn't sure if I could actually climb over the boulder above it. I was by myself so gave up. But was still worth checking it!

Brad Medellin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 8, 2020
View Brad's Recording
Lori Reynolds
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

Not necessarily a trail that you don’t want to miss. You can actually drive to the trailhead and not park along the road. This saves you about .6mi round trip, no shade. However, there is very limited parking at the TH. Once in the trail, All Trails maps the hike in the dried creek as the highlight, but the narrows are at the end. Very sandy trail and the narrows are tight and require some climbing (plus very narrow squeezes). Not an enjoyable trail for us as once we got in the narrows, the first obstacle had a group of people ahead who were taking their time and instead of standing around waiting on them at each inevitable climb, we opted to turn back. So this was not as fun as it could have been, preferably on a weekday, early, and not a holiday. Take lots of water and don’t go if it’s raining.

View Lori's Recording
Skyler Lettieri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020

This trail is a must

Jackson Richards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 2, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! The rope section was a little sketchy but worth it to see the rest of the canyon.

View Jackson's Recording
Caleb Bennett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2020
Hiking

If you’re looking for a less traveled narrows hike, this is the one for you! A bit sandy at the beginning, but not terrible. The hike itself is easy, but if you want to get to the end you’ll have to climb a few obstacles with rope holds and tight crevices. If you’re any sort of agile/athletic you’ll be fine. Follow the river if you get lost, it’s the cavern all the way back towards the left, with a bit of red in the rocks. Loved this trail!!

Tim Lewis
HikingBugsScramble

Sunny hike in sand to the narrows. The canyons and rock formations are very pretty as you approach the slot. Journeying through the slot canyon was such a great experience. There was only one other group there but left as soon as we entered so we had the whole place to ourselves. My wife was able to get through with my 1.5 year old using a front infant carrier. My 3 year old loved climbing up the rocks. We made it as far as the first rope but it was too technical with small children. There were lots of wasp flying around inside the canyon. We left them alone and they did the same.

View Tim's Recording
Sabrina Sonderman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingGreat!

So fun for kids! Soft sand all the way to the narrows. My husband, three kids, ages 12, 9, and 4, hiked all the way up to where the path gets very narrow, right before the next part of the trail. Only myself, the 12, and 9 year old were able to make it up to this portion because of the narrowness. My husband is about 200 pounds and felt he’d get stuck. We passed through the most narrow part where there was supposed to be a rope to climb up to the next portion of the trail, unfortunately, the rope was torn and unreachable, so we had to stop there.

Laura LaLone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

If you are wondering if it is worth the hike even if you don’t climb the rope obstacle, the answer is yes!

Jamie Poppe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
HikingGreat!

We loved this trail. We parked in the neighborhood and walked the dirt road, but probably could have driven (even in our rented Corolla). This was our 3rd slot canyon of the trip, but the teenagers ranked it as their favorite. We stopped at the rope, but still a great (short) hike. Lots of fun!

Amanda Hicks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
Hiking

Nice trail. Kid friendly. We stopped at the first rope but still enjoyed going back in the slot canyon. I took about an hour (1.3 miles total) with a six year old and some detours to check things out along the way.

View Amanda's Recording
Shelley Stotz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

Wow wow wow - if you’re in Orderville, do not miss this. The trail is not the great part, it’s the slot canyon at the end of the dry wash riverbed! pure magic - check it out for yourself in the second half of the video we made. We were there July 1st 2020! https://youtu.be/iMxrC-U8ulg

Heather Hamilton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

Forgot to turn off the recorder and drove away! I didn’t make it to the end, the first rope gave me a run for my money... definitely coming back with gloves to give it another go. The slots are super fun and wavy and you have to scramble over rocks. Loved it. My 15 year old made it up the rope but didn’t go much further because she didn’t want to go alone. We are definitely coming jack. We had the trail to ourselves when we went at about 7:00 pm and the heat walking back to the slots wasn’t too bad.

View Heather's Recording
Uwe Zens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

Great trail for the whole family. White sand dunes are great to play in, hike into the narrow canyon is accessible. Until you make it to the first rope easy yet exciting hiking. Going further into the canyon via the first rope requires some skill. My 8 year old got up with some help. We turned around after we climbed the second rope and ended at a very steep chute which would require equipment to go up and down.

Heidi Snead
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
Hiking

A fun trail for the family to see slot canyons without having to do longer hikes at the National Parks. It was short and offered red canyons and white buttes. A must do when passing through Zion and Bryce! The trail head isn’t marked but when you get to the small dirt lot just start hiking on the larger trail.

Lynn White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
Hiking

Nice hike. Beautiful trail! Hiking shoes are best. A lot of silty sand on the trail that leads to a beautiful slot canyon. About 3/4 mile to a rope to continue. Great if you have gloves. Fun hike.

Patricia Millhouse
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020
Hiking

we highly recommend this trail for families with small kids. Easy trail. We had a four and six year old with us and they loved it.

View Patricia's Recording
Rachael Campbell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Super easy for families. My kids loved it (4, 6 and 8). I would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to get to something beautiful pretty quickly.

View Rachael's Recording
Chris McCord
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Cool little pit stop on the way from Zion to Page. There’s a rope you have to climb to keep going. I was with my 68 year old mom and 10 year old daughter so we stopped. Only get to walk in the slot Canyon for maybe 100 yards before you have to climb.

J C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 8, 2020
Hiking

I enjoyed visiting this slot canyon. We took a private Jeep tour from Zion over to the canyon. I visited here in 2015...sorry my review is so late. Absolutely spectacular! Words can’t express how stunning.

Ryan Shumway
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 7, 2020
Hiking

Fun, pretty views the whole way. It’s pretty flat and then all of a sudden you’re in the narrow slot canyon. The slot canton grows increasingly narrow and complex until you come to the rope. I wasn’t wearing the right pair of shoes (sandals) so I tried to get up and then coming back down seemed a little sketchy. I’ll definitely come back with more gear to keep going. Very fun and pretty.

Gary Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2020
Hiking

Simple very short hike if you want it to be. If you’re skinny and agile, there’s a rope that you can use to climb to extend the hike.

View Gary's Recording
Karen Wall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
Hiking

This is a beautiful hike. Short and easy with spectacular views. We hiked to the slot canyon which was so gorgeous. We had our small pups with us and they managed it very well.

Jared Sorensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! We took a family group ranging from grandparents to teenagers to little ones and found just adventure for everyone. The hike up the wash coming in was hot and sandy, but the entrance into the slot cooled things down. Some great narrow, winding sections with a handful of boulder climbs. Some of our group stopped at the first rope climb and some carried on until we reached second rope climb and the end. Great for family adventure.