Red Canyon (aka Peek-a-Boo Canyon)

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(81)
Orderville, Utah

Red Canyon (aka Peek-a-Boo Canyon) is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Orderville, Utah. The trail is good for all skill levels and is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 462 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A thrilling adventure of 4-wheeling on deep sand through a desert landscape of junipers, pinions, yuccas and cacti before reaching a slender passage that will tantalize photographer and hiker alike with a visual array of warm reds, cool browns and hot oranges in rippled and fluted sandstone. Southern Utah has its share of unique desert scapes, but the land here offers something different too - slot canyons. Abundant, yet hidden gems, that start out as small cracks in the earth that, overtime water has forced to become deep and narrow sandstone slots. The beauty of these dimly lit chasms entice hikers to explore into their depths. The price of admission into such a canyon often requires long hikes, down-climbing and rappelling skills, as well as an involved knowledge of rope work. Fortunately, there are some slot canyons that can be experienced without such a hefty price. Red Canyon, or as locals call it: Peek-a-boo, does not require any hiking to get to, but will require a 4 wheel drive. This is not the Peek-a-Boo slot canyon found in the Escalante area. Peek-a-Boo From where you parked you can see the slot canyon to the west. The canyon is usually dry and is only about .35 miles long. Notice how some sections are warmer and others are flushed with chilly air as the slot twists and turns, opens and narrows and the canyon floor rises and falls throughout the short hike. Stripped logs, twigs, and other debris wedged up high offer evidence of past violent flash floods that have raged through the waterway and forged the sandy chasm. The enclosed setting of a weathered canyon with towering walls, abstract designs and dramatic lighting combine for a photographers camera, as oils on a canvas do for an artists brush, providing the ideal tools to create a perfect image. Most sections in this slot are well lit, but a few places can only be captured with a steady hand or the use of a tripod. All too soon a large chockstone, 15 feet up, wedged between the walls ends exploration. Tanya Milligan in Peek-a-Boo Slot Canyon Shamans Needle Back at the slot entrance look for a small drainage that enters from the north. Taking a casual stroll just a mere 100 yards up this sandy bottom wash will reveal a "pencil stick" stone structure. To exit, return the same way as you drove in.

If you do this hike and decide to drive down to it, make sure your vehicle has enough clearance, 4x4, and let your tires down to 15 or 20 psi or you will 100% get stuck trying to drive back out!

You need an atv to access the trail, our jeep renegade trailhawk struggled and we got stuck several times due to other cars or ATVs on the sandy road. Once we hitch hiked out there, the slot was beautiful and shaded. Short hike, but worth the travel if you have an ATV.

My record is off due to accident pause and someone offer me ride to return parking. Yes, trail is indeed ATV trail. Not hiking. I already read all review and prepare hiking in very rough trail and very soft sandy in hot weather. But... when I arrive to peekaboo area. Wow. I stayed there for a hour and took many photo. Plus, it really cool in canyon and make me stay longer. It’s almost no trash around and no graffiti. It truly reward experience and beautiful in hidden spot.

Do not even think about walking to this trail!!!! We hiked 7 miles through very deep sand and couldn’t even find the canyon. Nothing is labeled on the trail and google maps will take you through private property with no trespassing signs. Not worth it in my opinion. Only go if you have an ATV honestly

If you have thought about renting an ATV or own one, it’s worth having to get to this hike. We parked at the BLM 102 Peekaboo staging area (not where this app tells you to start, since it leads you into private property with many signs telling you not to be there) and walked the sandy BLM roads to the start of the trail. WHAT A SLOG! The canyon is beautiful, but maybe a third of the way down the trail, the canyon is blocked off by a boulder. We backtracked and scrambled out of the canyon, walked along the edge, until eventually we found another scramble to lower ourselves back into the canyon. At the other end of the trail, we took different BLM roads to get back to our car, making it a loop instead of an out-and-back. All and all, it was a moderate 8 mile hike. Not an easy 5ish mile hike. Beautiful though. Lots of evidence of coyotes and even a baby snake.

Google Maps takes you to a trailhead that is now owned by Best Friends and where there are posted signs there is No Trespassing and no access to the Peek-A-Boo trail. We just navigated by looking at the trailhead dot in the AllTrails map. We definitely needed our 4-Wheel drive, lots of deep sand. You can drive right to the canyon opening. The canyon itself is very pretty but short if you don’t have climbing gear - which we didn’t. Pretty little canyon but not much of a hike. There is a cool hoodoo if you follow the little trail to the left of the canyon.

Great adventure! We conquered it with an 8 and a 3 year old. They loved it! The start was very challenging, and both kids needed help getting up into the canyon, but after that they made it around the tight bends and corners better than we did.

We took the Subaru Outback out there and made it through. A little scary venturing into the sand with the car but we deflated the tires to 20 psi and kept cruising at the deep parts. Beautiful views and my first slot canyon so I was impressed. Only 2 other groups out when we went. Super easy once you get there. Don’t get stuck! Don’t take a normal car!

It truly is something even my pictures can’t capture. Entered from the trail head at to top and exited the Virgin River Narrows. My 2nd time and is an absolute wonder hands down! Wore neoprene socks and bottoms once we saw water at approx mile 7. Hiking poles a MUST for last two miles walking down Virgin River. Total cobblestone and mossy rocks. 500 thumbs up though!!!

5 Stars worth it- But we hiked in through the deep sand and it was incredibly miserable. You'll follow the 102 which is basically an ATV trail with sand that gets deeper as you go. Give the ATV's right of way when you hear them coming. We used a hiking garmin with a route I built beforehand in basecamp to determine which was the actual trail. Otherwise you could spend energy trying to decipher turnaround loops for ATV's from the main drag. It's about 3.5mi of deep sand to the canyon. I'd reccomend high boots with pants over to prevent sand from leaking in. Make sure to bring fluids if you hike it and pick a cool day since there isn't a whole lot of shade. Don't have much to say on driving it, but I lacked confidence in our Wrangler getting through it without a serious upgrade in tires meant for offroad and some recovery equipment. After hiking it- leaving the truck behind was a good call. Even saw a Polaris Razer get stuck for about 20min. All of this said, if you have the grit or the right vehicle it was a highlight of our stay in southern Utah. Photographers bring a light tripod and plan on needing to do some hdr brackets- the bottom of the slot is fairly dark.

We don’t have a 4 Wheel Dr. vehicle and we didn’t want to rent one or pay for a tour so we parked at the peekaboo staging area and using AllTrails we just headed towards the waypoint which we placed at the entrance to the wash. It was about a 2 mile pretty easy walk straight across and then we dropped down into the wash and went through peekaboo which is just lovely. Very important point... the slot canyon is divided in two parts—there is the first part which is very nice then there is a little bit of a wash and it looks like it’s done but keep walking because there is a second part which is absolutely breath taking.

DON’T DO THIS HIKE UNLESS YOU HAVE A TOUR GUIDE TO GET YOU THERE OR YOU HAVE A RZR OR JEEP WITH AGGRESSIVE OFF-ROAD TIRES. The trail to get there was super fun, but you HAVE to have a RZR or an off-road vehicle with aggressive all-terrains or mud tires. I would also say you need to be prepared to air down your tires as well. I drive a TRD Pro Toyota 4Runner with BFG K02 tires and I made it without having to air down, but there were some sketchy places that made me scared I was going to get stuck. Do not hike out to the slot canyon, it’s a really far hike and really hard with the sand. You’ll end up getting heat exhausted. But having said that, the hike was incredible, only took about 20 minutes but it was absolutely stunning. I love short and sweet hikes. The whole thing is just jaw dropping. 100% recommend if you’re equipped with the right vehicle to get you there, don’t just rely on a AWD vehicle you need 4WD and it needs to be an off road dedicated vehicle.

The slot canyon itself is beautiful and a short 10 min hike in but getting there is quite a feat. It was recommended to only drive the 3.5 miles in if you have 4WD so we attempted to drive in with our 4WD Highlander. About half way in we got stuck in the sand and couldn’t dig our way out. Luckily some kind souls with a lot of gear got us pulled out and followed us back out in which we needed to get pulled out two more times. Do not attempt the drive into the canyon without an ATV or Jeep or some serious off duty 4WD equipment.

ohv/off road driving

My partner and I opted to walk to the trailhead from the Peek-a-boo staging area, and it was tough. We followed the road at the at the south side of the parking area, and it took about 1 1/2 hours just to get to the canyon. On the way back, we bushwhacked through the desert sands for a more direct, but still challenging, route to the parking area. All said and done, we did about 8 miles out and back, including the little bit of the canyon. Red Canyon itself is less than a 1/2 mile, but totally worth the slog through the sand there and back. People pay good money to see rock formations like this (e.g. Antelope Canyon), so I feel very fortunate to have found this gem for free! Of course, the sand took its toll in order to behold this treasure; a price to pay indeed for such a wondrous sight. What’s better is most people won’t pay this price, so we had the trail/desert/roads 100% to ourselves. Lots of wild daisies (I think, or maybe they’re wild sunflowers) everywhere. Very beautiful against the desert floors. We even spotted a couple of coyote pups on the way back out, on our bushwhack excursion. Never did see mama, but hey we’re obviously alive to tell the tale. Overall, a good hike, but it’s definitely not for the faint-hearted. Be smart and go out to the trailhead via ATV. Hiking through the sand is not fun, although the canyon did make up for the struggle. P.S. I strongly recommend NOT to walk out to the trailhead from the parking lot at highway 89, unless you are seriously comfortable with your navi skills.

only do this if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. the actual trail is 2 miles in and out, but it's a 3.5 mile trek down a sandy trail.

WOW. I read all the reviews for this trail and how you shouldn’t even consider doing it without a 4WD and definitely shouldn’t walk it. The stubbornness in me said if I brought a lot of water and took a lot of breaks I could make it. Bad idea. The sand wasn’t bad at first but as I got farther in the sand got harder and there were a lot of very steep hills. The trail was harder to follow and I got a little lost at the end and had to go down the side of a hill at one point (lol). The slot canyon was beautiful when I finally got there. I really enjoyed that part! And I ended up catching a ride with a couple people who had driven there. If you’re stubborn like me and still choose to walk it, make sure you know the trail and bring A LOT of water!

ohv/off road driving

6/5/19 Yes, you need 4x4 to get to the canyon. It’s very sandy but otherwise an easy and scenic drive. My wife, kids, and my dogs enjoyed this. There is a restroom and picnic area before the trail begins.

This is not a hiking trail. This is an ATV road to a short walk around Canyon. Trying to go on this road with a normal car or just your legs is unsuccessful. I've never wished I had an ATV or a camel more than now.

Sun May 19 2019

Somehow we got lost before actually getting to the slot canyon. We went 12 miles for what should’ve been a 4 mile drive!!! It was worth every minute!!! You definitely need 4?wheelcdrive. I used 4lowcand my lockers at times. The sand is deep in spots. A beautiful adventure on a beautiful day

Thu May 16 2019

Do not attempt without 4WD or an ATV. Definitely let some air out of your tires and prepare for a long drive in so you can take your time. No bathroom or picnic area. The canyon is beautiful though and it’s a very short hike if you drive in. Definitely dog friendly.

Fri May 03 2019

Loved the slots. It's not really worth going around the drop - no deep slots beyond there.

Sun Apr 21 2019

A fun little hidden gem away from the national park crowds that frequent Kanab. Beware: the road is just as sandy as everyone says. Do not attempt the road to the canyon without a high clearance 4WD vehicle - all wheel drive will not cut it. I saw a guy in a Ford Explorer stuck trying to come out as I was on my way in. It’s very very deep sand the whole way but with the proper vehicle is actually a pretty fun drive. You can air down your tires just after you pull off the highway - there’s a big area meant just for this purpose. Lower tire air pressure makes for a smoother ride and allows your vehicle to glide over the sand rather than sinking down. Make sure you know what you’re doing and do your research beforehand or you’ll be sorry. The canyon itself is a nice little walk. You can drive right up to the entrance. It’s pretty photogenic and has some archaeological significance as well - you can see footholds at one point in the canyon where Anasazi people would climb up to the ledges within the slot canyon and use these areas as granaries. There is a large choke stone obstacle up the canyon where most hikers’ journey will end, unless you have the proper canyoneering experience and/or gear. It’s at least a 15-20 foot drop from the choke stone to the canyon floor. Very possible to chimney up and continue up the canyon if you have that skill set. If not, you still get to enjoy a beautiful and intriguing walk before having to turn around. I’ve seen several sources say that this hike (Red/Peek-a-boo Canyon) is just as beautiful as Antelope Canyon in Page. I don’t think that’s true. While it is very beautiful and enjoyable, it’s not quite as photogenic. What makes this slot superior to Antelope in my opinion was the solitude. On a Saturday around late morning/early afternoon, we had the entirety of the canyon all to ourselves apart from seeing one couple when we arrived and one when we were leaving. The surrounding area is very popular for ATV riding so there is some noise around but it’s not bad. We did see some people making the 3.5 mile (each way) walk in to the canyon from the highway since they did not have a high clearance 4WD. I honestly don’t think it would be worth a 7 mile RT walk (plus the walking through the slot) on an extremely sandy and rarely-shaded road. Sounds pretty miserable to me. There are many slots in the area accesible via low clearance 2WD cars that are just as (if not more) beautiful. But to each their own. Overall, a nice place to explore with beautiful views of the surroundings cliffs. A good way to get away from some crowds if you have the right vehicle to do so.

Sat Apr 13 2019

amazing! Must have a larger truck with 4x4 or a side by side. very deep sand!

Sat Apr 13 2019

Don’t attempt driving the four miles without 4WD. There are several roads in but they do end in the right place. I found that the road by Best friends animal sanctuary was less traveled and easier to maneuver. A local Sheriff Deputy told me that it’s best to drive after a light rain as people still get stuck driving the proper vehicle. I found 4 low was the best and DO NOT stop in the deep sand or you’ll be stuck. If you don’t know how to off road in these conditions I would definitely learn before you go. The Slot canyon was chilly and beautiful however, very very busy. ( I went on a weekday last week).