Learn more

Red Butte and Mount Wire is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.2 mi Elevation gain 2,106 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Running Forest Views Wild flowers
Description
Waypoints (0)

The west side of this loop is steep. If you prefer a workout with a lot of uphill, then go counter clockwise. Alternatively, the clockwise route is easier but might be hard on the knees.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (180)
Photos (871)
Recordings (157)
Completed (428)
Zack Jabillo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2020
View Zack's Recording
phong dao
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 23, 2020
View phong's Recording
Aaron Leete
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020

I honestly have no idea why anyone would follow this trail counter clockwise, unless they explicitly wanted a workout. There are at least 2 better trails to get to Mount Wire than the South side of this loop, which is absolutely miserable. If you insist on this loop I'm sure it's much more enjoyable to go clockwise. The downhills aren't steep enough on the south side to warrant avoiding them, personally I would've much preferrwd going down them than up, and the only 2 people I saw on that part of the loop were going down. I'd much rather go up the Red Butte side, take the 0.2 mile pit stop over to the living room lookout, then go up to Mount Wire and back down the same way. The south side of this loop is very steep, boring, and starts on a long gravel walk that repeatedly goes up and down. It'll get you sweating, but that's about it. The sun also hits that part of the trail before 7am, and you have to walk straight into it. The tower is cool. Going up it gives you a little deeper view into Emigration canyon. 1h18m up the south side to Mount Wire, 30m to come down on the north side.

Rachel Crompton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

First time hiking in this area and thought the bang for your buck if hiking for views was incredible. I was trying to do some trail running, so going up was moments of flatter areas running, and then taking breaks and just hiking in the steeper areas. The trail was well kept; out of all the hikes I have done so far this summer, I was very impressed with the state of the trail (no garbage, debris, or major disturbances of the area), especially given the amount of traffic in the area. It did get steep but it was extremely manageable. The tower up top is definitely kind of random but I did climb up partway. It was windy and I couldn't tell if it was going to storm so I opted out of going to the top. My next stop by Red Butte and for some reason I thought it was also going to be peak-ish, but it was really just an intersection with a view of the valley. I wish I'd stayed up on Mount Wire longer for the sunset, as I'd brought my headlamp and didn't know where I'd get the better views. I took the advice of several others and did the trail counter clockwise. I have a terrible sense of direction, so I rely heavily on maps and on the way down, started on what looked to be the path but was not really. It was very steep but not impossible going down and I did reconnect to the proper trail. There was lots of people going to the living room, which I'll have to check another time since it also looked gorgeous. Considering I had the trail up completely to myself, I'd totally do this again! Attire: - Crop top - Shorts - Trail Running shoes (those were life savers going down the "path" I found) - Running vest Supplies: - Cliff bar - Headlamp - 40 fluid oz of water (I drank about all of it so it was perfect)

View Rachel's Recording
Wyatt Vucic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
HikingRocky

Started counter-clockwise; a very steady incline may 45-50 degrees for the first two miles - if you’re looking to sweat and/or get a decent strenuous start to the hike, I recommend taking this route. Note: there’s quite a bit of loose rock/gravel so bring appropriate attire for traction trekking up the mountain. Once you get to the top of Mt. Wire, you have to ascend the old watch tower .

View Wyatt's Recording
Lizzie S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Watch out for rattlesnakes!! Saw one on my hike (and nope-d out of that ) 6/12/20

Allison McCullock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020

loved this so much! Accidentally went in this from the living room hike. The end was so steep!

Vickie Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 28, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

I did this trail counter clockwise and I'm so glad I did. It is so steep! I can't imagine coming down this side (South side) also, No shade on this trail hiking up to Mt Wire, I recommend going on a cloudy day. The last mile up to Mt Wire almost took me out. Lol I must have stopped to take my breath about 20 times going up. Past the old radio tower the trail is down hill and not bad.

View Vickie's Recording
Leslie Crawfors
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 23, 2020
HikingMuddy

This was a good hike! I did the whole thing in three hours after the big storm last night! Muddy, snowy and cold...not what one would expect for Memorial Day. My GPS said that it was 4.9 miles...maybe because I parked near Re Butte. This is a butt kicker!

Rachel Kozlowski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 19, 2020
Hiking

This is a great hike if you’re looking for something quick and easily accessible from the downtown area. I’d recommend doing this loop counter clockwise. It’s a little shorter and steeper to big beacon this way but I’d rather go up than have to go downhill on a pretty loose rocky trail. Didn’t see anyone else until it joined up with the living room trail on the way down so it made for a nice morning workout.

View Rachel's Recording
Ezwan Azizul
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 30, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOff trailRocky

The climb is steep. Coming down was worse. But it was a really good trail. The ground is loose since it’s dry and sunny. Might loose your step if you’re not wearing proper shoes. Please put on a proper hiking/trail shoes.

View Ezwan's Recording
Evelynne Petty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 30, 2020
HikingRocky

Did this hike today. After doing it clockwise, I would definitely recommend doing it counter-clockwise. The south side is VERY steep going down and with it being so rocky and dry, I slipped a couple times. Otherwise, beautiful hike. Flowers are out and it was warm even at the top with the tower. There is still snow on the mountains around, so it made for a great view.

Scott Covington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 26, 2020
Hiking

We did this after stopping off at the Living Room. We returned the same way and didn’t do the loop. Great conditions, amazing views!

Todd Pearce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 20, 2020
Hiking

We took the living room side of the hike up since we heard it wasn’t as steep. Once we passed the turnoff for the living room, we barely saw any other hikers all the way up to red butte and Mt Wire. The other side was steeeeep going down. The whole trail was dry. No ice or mud. Some flowers starting to pop out. Trees still don’t have their leaves.

View Todd's Recording
Jeremy Jareckyj
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
Hiking

A bit rocky and very thin trail. Sticks hitting you on the side as you go up. Good hike.

View Jeremy's Recording
Cole Trier

Fun trail, and in great shape without snow or much mud at all right now. Steep up the East face, but easy down the West.

Eric Millar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 18, 2020
HikingMuddy

Highly recommend doing counterclockwise if doing the full loop. The top half mile was pretty muddy

View Eric's Recording
Chasen Schulte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 15, 2020

Great trail, very mild!

View Chasen's Recording
Brittany Merriman
HikingMuddyRocky

Great trail! We started by doing the Living Room trail and decided to keep going. Based off of a previous review we decided to head to Wire Peak and return the way we came, rather than complete the loop due to steepness/slickness. Parts past the Red Butte Peak were muddy, and the Wire Peak has patches of snow on the trail. No micro spikes needed though. Great views plus we only saw one other person past the Living Room trail ending!

View Brittany's Recording
Anna Hayes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 10, 2020
Hiking

Lots of people until you break off from the living room trail folks. Just a little snow/mud left. Nothing that can’t be easily avoided. If I did this trail again I would get to the top of Mt. Wire and then hike back down the way I came instead of the loop. It’s SO steep going down the other way.

View Anna's Recording
Jade McCoy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2020
HikingMuddySnow
View Jade's Recording
Jennifer Hemberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 6, 2020
Hiking

Some mud and snow in places but mostly dry. Very steep on the mount wire side of the trail

View Jennifer's Recording