Red Butte and Mount Wire

Red Butte and Mount Wire is a 4.2 mile loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1978 feet

We started at the Pioneer Park Trail head and made the complete 5 mile circle. I recommend starting by 8 AM on these hot summer days. The morning sun is blistering on the south and with the dry conditions it's pretty miserable. It's a great trail for kicking your butt however.

Trail is not marked at all. I got lost a few times. i went down the wrong trail and ended up on my back side a few times. I did go slow and it took me about 3.5 hours. I had to turn around a few times :-(

Awesome hike with dog. In the evening so on the South side there wasn't much sun which was nice. Great views and a beautiful little meadow on the west facing side of the trail. The South part of the loop was definitely steeper than the the North side - would recommend going up the prior.

After sitting and working all day, this was a nice evening hike. I took my time as there were some pretty steep uphill and downhill's for me so the entire trip took about three hours. Beautiful views of the city. Not so many people that it felt crowded but enough people that I felt safe I can go alone. A few rattlesnakes but easy to walk around them

Great spring hike when your tired of the snow. Hiking down the ridge of Red Butte can give you some good views of the valley, Wasatch range and the islands. Did about a 5 mile loop

What a great hike with great views of the whole Salt Lake Valley and a profile view of the wasatch front. Lots of animals up there this time of year. Moose, elk, and lots of deer. Lots of snow too but the trail is mostly packed down by other hikers. I especially enjoyed the crows nest tower at the top that gives an elevated perspective to the surrounding area. I don't think I'll hit the living room again without making the extra effort to summit as well. Well worth it.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Great views of the hidden canyon and valley from the Butte. Well worth the hike after Living Room.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Beautiful views especially in the fall! A great way to keep going once you've seen the living room. Very steep on the way down, but worth it!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

This trail can be a continuation of the living room trail. Its pretty steep near the end and can be a challenging hike. It gets a lot less busy after the living room.