Red Butte and Mount Wire is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

really hard i did it in 4 hours and it was more like 5-6 miles. i went up left and down right. wish i did it the other way. the views are incredible absolutely breathtaking. the way down is very steep tons of loose rocks for about 15 min i had to slide down in a squat position because its literally the decline is insane. i think i veered off the path a little because it was pretty extreme hard to find trails coming down there were many little ones and i think i chose the hardest one. i saw 5 deer!

I couldn’t find the Living Room trailhead so I ended up on a very steep trail past the This is the Place gate. I’m not sure if it was part of the loop but I’m counting it as part of it because I ended up on Mount Wire and came down the Living Room trail. That trail is marked with a large yellow 174 for some reason. It was way easier than the way I went up.

great morning workout. I agree with some other posts about the south trail having loose gravel , take your time its manageable.

This trail has a steep ascent and very steep descent over loose gravel. The views were nice, but not worth it in my opinion.

Nice loop hike. great view of the Salt Lake valley to the West. Red Butte canyon to the Northeast and tops of the Wasatch Mountain to the Southeast. Steady climb

We hiked the reverse route (ccw, south face ascent). Steep, with loose gravel, and completely exposed. Would rate it as difficult. North side had more coverage and better traction. Tower at the top was open and we were able to climb for an extra special view! Would recommend traditional ascent (cw: via north path).

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

We started at the Pioneer Park Trail head and made the complete 5 mile circle. I recommend starting by 8 AM on these hot summer days. The morning sun is blistering on the south and with the dry conditions it's pretty miserable. It's a great trail for kicking your butt however.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Trail is not marked at all. I got lost a few times. i went down the wrong trail and ended up on my back side a few times. I did go slow and it took me about 3.5 hours. I had to turn around a few times :-(

Monday, June 26, 2017

Awesome hike with dog. In the evening so on the South side there wasn't much sun which was nice. Great views and a beautiful little meadow on the west facing side of the trail. The South part of the loop was definitely steeper than the the North side - would recommend going up the prior.

Monday, June 05, 2017

After sitting and working all day, this was a nice evening hike. I took my time as there were some pretty steep uphill and downhill's for me so the entire trip took about three hours. Beautiful views of the city. Not so many people that it felt crowded but enough people that I felt safe I can go alone. A few rattlesnakes but easy to walk around them

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Great spring hike when your tired of the snow. Hiking down the ridge of Red Butte can give you some good views of the valley, Wasatch range and the islands. Did about a 5 mile loop

Sunday, January 08, 2017

What a great hike with great views of the whole Salt Lake Valley and a profile view of the wasatch front. Lots of animals up there this time of year. Moose, elk, and lots of deer. Lots of snow too but the trail is mostly packed down by other hikers. I especially enjoyed the crows nest tower at the top that gives an elevated perspective to the surrounding area. I don't think I'll hit the living room again without making the extra effort to summit as well. Well worth it.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Great views of the hidden canyon and valley from the Butte. Well worth the hike after Living Room.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Beautiful views especially in the fall! A great way to keep going once you've seen the living room. Very steep on the way down, but worth it!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

This trail can be a continuation of the living room trail. Its pretty steep near the end and can be a challenging hike. It gets a lot less busy after the living room.

recorded Track - Sep 16 11:39 AM