Rattlesnake Gulch Trail

Rattlesnake Gulch Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take I-215 south until you reach the 3900 South exit. Take a left at the top of the exit ramp and cross over I-215 heading east. At Wasatch Boulevard take a left and head north 1 block to the light at 3800 South. Take a right on 3800 South and head east through residential neighborhoods for approximately a mile before arriving at fee station. The trailhead is .7 miles past the fee station on the north side of the road.

Beautiful day! Great moderately paced hike. Slightly rocky with elevation for a little way at the start. The views all around keep your eyes busy. Family and dog friendly. :)

I'm out of shape, but I was able to hike this with only a few short breaks. Keep your eyes and ears active! I'm fairly certain I heard a rattlesnake about one mile in. Also, the trails get muddy after it rains, so wear quality boots. Beautiful views along the entire hike, but especially once you reach the overlook portion. It took me less than one hour to reach the flatter portion of the hike, including breaks.

Not great for biking

Took my dogs on an “odd numbered day” which is when they’re allowed off leash and everyone we passed was friendly and all the dogs well behaved. And to respond to the guy that commented ab the dog poop bags; yes, dog owners bag the poop and leave it to the side of the trail to pick up on the way back since it’s an in and out trail and there are no trash bins besides at the trailhead. While I typically carry mine in my bag, it’s definitely not fun to smell poop coming from your bag the whole hike. But all the dog owners I saw were friendly and conscientious and all picked up the poop and I saw a few pick up the bags to throw away on their way out. Not a big deal to me as a dog owner as long as the bag is to the side and gets picked up eventually.

We did this trail on a whim this afternoon. The weather was beautiful so there was a lot of traffic but it's a great workout with great views of the valley at the end.

Watch out for dog bags people leave on the trail. I don't get it but there they are.

great trail with great views. A little muddy from the runoff but nothing we couldn't handle. The last mile is flat and scenic, very worth it. Definitely will hike again

It was a nice, relaxing hike with the family. Great views with a blue sky at the end!

Great day for the hike! We wore our crampons, it helped with the switch backs, but once you get past the 1st mile it flattens out and you get to enjoy a nice view all the way to the look.

Beautiful scenery. Steep in the beginning and evens out after the first mile.

We went on a sunset hike here tonight. The first 50 yards or so was a sheet of ice, and the rest just had some really muddy spots. Views along the ridge line were beautiful.

Almost no ice or snow left right now and it's been perfect weather for hiking

Short hike, very steep at first. Great view at the end. I went a couple of weeks ago and it was super muddy from the snow melting.

Most difficult part was the beginning and then it flattens out as you get to the overlook of the city. Overall, it was a decent hike with some pretty good scenery of the the mountains and city.

Just a little icy the first 100 yards then muddy/dry the rest of the way.

Like it. Wanna try the spring time..

Went right after a fresh snow and it was incredible. Beautiful views of the city, not too steep. I've been back since it's snowed and there are parts that are EXTREMELY icy. You have to wear crampons or at least hold on to branches for footing to get you up.

Our first time hiking this trail and we loved it! The views along the trail are almost as good as the view at the end. We carried our 18-month old in a carrier and it took us a little over 2 hours with a stop to eat something at the top.

Watch out for mountain bikers and runners that quickly approach because the trail gets narrow. Also, I think we heard a rattlesnake, but didn't actually see it.

We will hike this again soon!

My first time, I’m out of shape but eventually made it to the top!

went with our two kids and the view was so worth it. Gradually going up Views of the nature is beautiful, literally stopping every 15 min just to take pictures. Breathtaking views of the mountains as well!

Really steep for the first mile but after it is amazing -- excellent hike to see all the leaves changing. We were up there from 3-5 in the afternoon and it was pretty busy.

I like this one because you re walking along the mountain, which is rare!

Great hike...especially right now with the fall colors. You do gain all 1100 feet in the first mile, but then it is flat flat flat and the view at the end is worth it...especially at sunset!

This was a fun fall hike. Really pretty fall colors and great views. if you are out of shape, like me, the first mile is a nightmare. after that it's easy. There are alot of of mine tailing and pretty awesome quartz crystals along the route.

Put in some work at the beginning and then it's smooth sailing and the views are incredible.

Start early so the first uphill mile is in the shade. Great views!

It's pretty steep and rocky the first 3/4 of a mile or so and then it flattens out. Very exposed, so go early. Great views!

Did this hike earlier in the summer and it was well worth the hike. Steady climb with views overlooking the canyon, then you hit a flat trail that takes you to overlook SLC. Highly recommend!

The first 0.7 going up is steep and rocky but it's also mostly nice and cool with the shade. It starts to flatten out as you head west and there is less/almost no shade spots. The name is fitting as we encountered two rattlesnakes (we heard and saw them) and a third snake we just saw make its way into the trees. Be sure to also wear bug spray and sunscreen. Great view though.

Very fun but is scary when you see the snakes out there. Great for new hikers!

Easy hike. Not sure why it's rated as moderate. It was a pretty little hike. great views. Would do it again.