Rattlesnake Gulch Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take I-215 south until you reach the 3900 South exit. Take a left at the top of the exit ramp and cross over I-215 heading east. At Wasatch Boulevard take a left and head north 1 block to the light at 3800 South. Take a right on 3800 South and head east through residential neighborhoods for approximately a mile before arriving at fee station. The trailhead is .7 miles past the fee station on the north side of the road.

Fun trail, dog friendly. Took lots of pictures and it took us about 2 hours.

This is a fee area- costs $3 per vehicle for an okay hike.

It was an ok trail.
Not much to see.
we'll find a better hiking spot next time.
$3.00 to hike it.
The dogs enjoyed.

Definitely bring your dog on ODD numbered days so you don’t have to keep them out of the way of mountain bikers. There are a lot of bikers, runners, and hikers on this rail. Definitely recommend going in the morning (ie. avoid the heat and crowd). Per usual, there’s noticeably more cars/bikes/people as it gets towards 9am+. Pay $3 to a person in a booth on the way out (back toward I-215).

There are two parts to this hike. The first 0.7 miles is Rattlesnake Gulch- shaded and uphill. It’s a workout.

Take a left at the sign. The second part is 1.0 mile on Pipeline Trail with a nice view of the canyon and then the city/valley. Path is narrower and more windy (as in blowing air, not as in curvy), shade harder to come by. (You’ll see a Wasatch National Forest sign at about 1.4 miles total. Go another 0.3 to see a big metal tube thing and a place to sit and enjoy the view for a bit.)

Going up took us 45 minutes with short breaks going uphill. Going down took us 35 minutes with a bunch of stops to move aside for bikers.

Hard start, the first 1/2 mile is where you get the elevation gain. But was a nice short trail.

It’s a little dry and hot. It had a nice view and nice that’s its dog friendly.

Great little hike. Pretty steep for the first mile or so, but flat after that. Great after work hike.

good first hike solo

I was planning on mountain biking the Pipeline Trail because I read that it was a good beginner trail and I hadn't been on my bike in a few years. What the site I read didn't tell me was that I had to ride UP Rattlesnake Gulch to get to Pipeline. I moved here a few months ago from Houston which is virtually sea level and needless to say, that combined with not having been on my bike for a few years, I was totally UNABLE to ride my bike up Rattlesnake Gulch. I ended up walking my bike up almost a mile and when I saw a very narrow part of the trail that had a rock wall on one side and steep drop on the other, I decided as accident prone as I sometimes am that it would not be safe for me to walk my bike on that portion of trail, so I turned around and walked my bike almost all the way downhill because of the loose rocks......I rode it down the last hundred or so feet when the trail was more packed dirt.

As a hike only, it would probably have been okay if I hadn't had to push a bike up it, but as a biker, you definitely need to be in better shape than I am to ride up this trail. Maybe next year, I'll be better able to conquer this one!

On the plus side, it was partially shaded on the way up but not too many places to stop and rest if needed.

Perfect morning or evening hike! I would highly recommend avoiding during the heat, as only the first 0.5 Miles are shaded.
Gorgeous views of the salt lake valley and Mount Olympus.

It was a nice shady trail to start out with a great view but overall I was disappointed by the lack of a nice resting place with shade on the final stretch and the fact that they charge $3 to drive up the canyon. I wouldn’t hike it again for those two reasons.

The first bit of this hike is a bit steep, but it’s well shaded, which makes it a fairly moderate hike. I went left at the fork, and the trail is pretty flat and narrow, so be especially courteous to bikers coming up and down. The views of the Salt Lake valley and the surrounding mountains are absolutely lovely. It was about an hour and a half trip for me, there and back.

Fun “short” hike! We ended up turning left at the fork and taking the Pipeline route. Pretty overlook of the city! Bring sunscreen for the Pipeline portion.

It's a fairly steep climb to the intersection with the pipeline trail, and then if you head left it's completely flat to the Salt Lake overlook. If you head right, you are walking up into Millcreek Canyon. Good panoramic views of the Salt Lake metropolitan valley, but definitely not a wilderness experience. From the overlook, there is an easy to follow, sometimes steep, trail not shown on the map that heads uphill along a ridge to the east, and you can eventually connect to the Crestwood Gulch Trail at a high point. From there, I'm sure there is some sort of perilous path for people who want to come straight down the hill to hook back up with the Pipeline Trail, but I backtracked. Going up the ridge added about 1.5 miles and 600 ft of elevation.

Used to trail run this several years ago, but now that I've had kids and my body denies ever being that fit, its perfect for a "quick" hike. The first .7 mile is an ideal example of "moderate" and is nice and shaded, then the mile to the overlook is one of the easiest trails in the valley. Very flat. Definitely family friendly if your kids have hiked several times before. I carried my freshly 2 year old, but our 3 and 5 year olds could do this with only a little whining. Go as early as possible; the mile of south facing trail is almost completely exposed and gets pretty toasty!
Also, DO keep an eye out for the trail's namesake....we saw one along the way (as well as a harmless gopher snake), though they were just sunning themselves near the trail and slithered away unthreatened.

I loved this trail! It's a nice scenic trail.. there's shade right now & even children can do it..both my 15 & 6 year old were with me and they did great!

Great hike with an amazing view! Definitely recommend it.

Fun hike I really enjoyed it. The beginning is quite steep but once it levels out it’s really nice. Great view and fun spot to have a picnic or meditate lol.

It was really nice! Beginning of the trail was steep but after that it was easy and great view!

Wow! What a gorgeous hike! Yes, the first 0.7 miles are pretty steep, but you’re walking through a gorgeous canopy of trees. Once it levels out, the views are incredible! This was our first time hiking in Millcreek Canyon, and it didn’t disappoint! I can imagine this one being incredible for watching the sunset. The whole family (kids 15, 12, 10, 8) all loved it, though it was challenging for my middle two with special needs...but in a good way.

Super shaded so you stay cool and beautiful the whole time! Loved it!!!

We started from the Church Fork Trail and finished at the Pipeline Viewpoint. It’s a nice hike that you can add more to as well! I would rate the portion we did as easy rather than moderate as listed in here :)

Loved this hike! Perfect for an after work hike during the week! Perfect hike for those who are intimidated to hike! Would definitely hike this one again!

A little steep with some switchbacks at the beginning then opens up to some lovely views. Rather busy but is too be expected of shorter hikes.

Fairly steep until you get to the pipeline trail then flat and easy along the pipeline to the overlook. Great hike if your looking for something quick with amazing views.

Pretty busy morning with lots of dogs, but everyone was polite and the dogs were super well behaved. Somewhat steep for the first little half and then flattens out across the ridge to an awesome view. The entire trail was well marked. No snow at all right now - everything is green and beautiful!

We went Saturday morning and the trail was not over crowded, but we did see quite a few groups as we made our way back to the lot. The beginning of the trail was a little steep with some loose rocks and gravel, but nicely shaded and not very difficult. Once you got past the first 15 minutes, the trail flattened out a bit and became exposed in the sun. There was a nice breeze that kept us cool and the sun had not gotten too intense yet so it was comfortable, but I can see this being a pretty hot hike in the middle of a warmer day. The views were beautiful with panoramic overlooking Salt Lake as well as some views down down Mill Creek Canyon up top. Overall a very nice short day hike.

Fairly corpulent, I found this trail to be challenging but encouraging. The start is steep and rocky, but going at a slow steady pace makes it bearable. Stopping a few times to catch your breath makes all the difference. Made it over halfway there when I turned back. Pretty good for the first hike of the season.

Although I wasn’t aware Millcreek Canyon was a fee area, new here and it was only $3, it was totally worth it. The views were absolutely amazing. Good trail, not to narrow, a little rocky, but seriously the view!

Beautiful day! Great moderately paced hike. Slightly rocky with elevation for a little way at the start. The views all around keep your eyes busy. Family and dog friendly. :)