Rattlesnake Gulch Trail

Rattlesnake Gulch Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take I-215 south until you reach the 3900 South exit. Take a left at the top of the exit ramp and cross over I-215 heading east. At Wasatch Boulevard take a left and head north 1 block to the light at 3800 South. Take a right on 3800 South and head east through residential neighborhoods for approximately a mile before arriving at fee station. The trailhead is .7 miles past the fee station on the north side of the road.

Perfect morning or evening hike! I would highly recommend avoiding during the heat, as only the first 0.5 Miles are shaded.
Gorgeous views of the salt lake valley and Mount Olympus.

It was a nice shady trail to start out with a great view but overall I was disappointed by the lack of a nice resting place with shade on the final stretch and the fact that they charge $3 to drive up the canyon. I wouldn’t hike it again for those two reasons.

The first bit of this hike is a bit steep, but it’s well shaded, which makes it a fairly moderate hike. I went left at the fork, and the trail is pretty flat and narrow, so be especially courteous to bikers coming up and down. The views of the Salt Lake valley and the surrounding mountains are absolutely lovely. It was about an hour and a half trip for me, there and back.

Fun “short” hike! We ended up turning left at the fork and taking the Pipeline route. Pretty overlook of the city! Bring sunscreen for the Pipeline portion.

It's a fairly steep climb to the intersection with the pipeline trail, and then if you head left it's completely flat to the Salt Lake overlook. If you head right, you are walking up into Millcreek Canyon. Good panoramic views of the Salt Lake metropolitan valley, but definitely not a wilderness experience. From the overlook, there is an easy to follow, sometimes steep, trail not shown on the map that heads uphill along a ridge to the east, and you can eventually connect to the Crestwood Gulch Trail at a high point. From there, I'm sure there is some sort of perilous path for people who want to come straight down the hill to hook back up with the Pipeline Trail, but I backtracked. Going up the ridge added about 1.5 miles and 600 ft of elevation.

Used to trail run this several years ago, but now that I've had kids and my body denies ever being that fit, its perfect for a "quick" hike. The first .7 mile is an ideal example of "moderate" and is nice and shaded, then the mile to the overlook is one of the easiest trails in the valley. Very flat. Definitely family friendly if your kids have hiked several times before. I carried my freshly 2 year old, but our 3 and 5 year olds could do this with only a little whining. Go as early as possible; the mile of south facing trail is almost completely exposed and gets pretty toasty!
Also, DO keep an eye out for the trail's namesake....we saw one along the way (as well as a harmless gopher snake), though they were just sunning themselves near the trail and slithered away unthreatened.

I loved this trail! It's a nice scenic trail.. there's shade right now & even children can do it..both my 15 & 6 year old were with me and they did great!

Great hike with an amazing view! Definitely recommend it.

Fun hike I really enjoyed it. The beginning is quite steep but once it levels out it’s really nice. Great view and fun spot to have a picnic or meditate lol.

It was really nice! Beginning of the trail was steep but after that it was easy and great view!

Wow! What a gorgeous hike! Yes, the first 0.7 miles are pretty steep, but you’re walking through a gorgeous canopy of trees. Once it levels out, the views are incredible! This was our first time hiking in Millcreek Canyon, and it didn’t disappoint! I can imagine this one being incredible for watching the sunset. The whole family (kids 15, 12, 10, 8) all loved it, though it was challenging for my middle two with special needs...but in a good way.

Super shaded so you stay cool and beautiful the whole time! Loved it!!!

We started from the Church Fork Trail and finished at the Pipeline Viewpoint. It’s a nice hike that you can add more to as well! I would rate the portion we did as easy rather than moderate as listed in here :)

Loved this hike! Perfect for an after work hike during the week! Perfect hike for those who are intimidated to hike! Would definitely hike this one again!

A little steep with some switchbacks at the beginning then opens up to some lovely views. Rather busy but is too be expected of shorter hikes.

Fairly steep until you get to the pipeline trail then flat and easy along the pipeline to the overlook. Great hike if your looking for something quick with amazing views.

Pretty busy morning with lots of dogs, but everyone was polite and the dogs were super well behaved. Somewhat steep for the first little half and then flattens out across the ridge to an awesome view. The entire trail was well marked. No snow at all right now - everything is green and beautiful!

We went Saturday morning and the trail was not over crowded, but we did see quite a few groups as we made our way back to the lot. The beginning of the trail was a little steep with some loose rocks and gravel, but nicely shaded and not very difficult. Once you got past the first 15 minutes, the trail flattened out a bit and became exposed in the sun. There was a nice breeze that kept us cool and the sun had not gotten too intense yet so it was comfortable, but I can see this being a pretty hot hike in the middle of a warmer day. The views were beautiful with panoramic overlooking Salt Lake as well as some views down down Mill Creek Canyon up top. Overall a very nice short day hike.

Fairly corpulent, I found this trail to be challenging but encouraging. The start is steep and rocky, but going at a slow steady pace makes it bearable. Stopping a few times to catch your breath makes all the difference. Made it over halfway there when I turned back. Pretty good for the first hike of the season.

Although I wasn’t aware Millcreek Canyon was a fee area, new here and it was only $3, it was totally worth it. The views were absolutely amazing. Good trail, not to narrow, a little rocky, but seriously the view!

Beautiful day! Great moderately paced hike. Slightly rocky with elevation for a little way at the start. The views all around keep your eyes busy. Family and dog friendly. :)

I'm out of shape, but I was able to hike this with only a few short breaks. Keep your eyes and ears active! I'm fairly certain I heard a rattlesnake about one mile in. Also, the trails get muddy after it rains, so wear quality boots. Beautiful views along the entire hike, but especially once you reach the overlook portion. It took me less than one hour to reach the flatter portion of the hike, including breaks.

Not great for biking

Took my dogs on an “odd numbered day” which is when they’re allowed off leash and everyone we passed was friendly and all the dogs well behaved. And to respond to the guy that commented ab the dog poop bags; yes, dog owners bag the poop and leave it to the side of the trail to pick up on the way back since it’s an in and out trail and there are no trash bins besides at the trailhead. While I typically carry mine in my bag, it’s definitely not fun to smell poop coming from your bag the whole hike. But all the dog owners I saw were friendly and conscientious and all picked up the poop and I saw a few pick up the bags to throw away on their way out. Not a big deal to me as a dog owner as long as the bag is to the side and gets picked up eventually.

We did this trail on a whim this afternoon. The weather was beautiful so there was a lot of traffic but it's a great workout with great views of the valley at the end.

Watch out for dog bags people leave on the trail. I don't get it but there they are.

great trail with great views. A little muddy from the runoff but nothing we couldn't handle. The last mile is flat and scenic, very worth it. Definitely will hike again

It was a nice, relaxing hike with the family. Great views with a blue sky at the end!

Great day for the hike! We wore our crampons, it helped with the switch backs, but once you get past the 1st mile it flattens out and you get to enjoy a nice view all the way to the look.

Beautiful scenery. Steep in the beginning and evens out after the first mile.

We went on a sunset hike here tonight. The first 50 yards or so was a sheet of ice, and the rest just had some really muddy spots. Views along the ridge line were beautiful.