Rattlesnake Creek - Ashdown Gorge Trail

Rattlesnake Creek - Ashdown Gorge Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cedar City, Utah that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Did the hike in 6 hrs, but felt very rushed. It's more like a 8-10 hr hike to view and enjoy all it has to offer.

I was really excited to hike this trail but I couldn't find where it starts. I drove to the spot where Google maps took me and it was an suu gate. was I at the right spot? can someone help me out? thanks!

One of my favorite. I've backpacked it as well as jammed it out in one day. Relatively easy as it's mostly downhill, and then the second half of river crossing is refreshing. Stunning scenery and different climates every few minutes. Highly recommend. Just make sure you know your markers. And yes, you need to shuttle it unless you're a crazy person and want to hike back up it.

I would do it only in the summer when the trail is clear. Fun times but we fot lost on several occasions just due to all the snow.

Friday, October 16, 2015

This 3,200 foot decent throught the Ashdown Gorge Wilderness area is a great location when the summer sun pushes daytime temperatures in the desert national parks above 100 degrees. I enjoyed the Rattlesnake portion of the hike. The Ashdown Gorge not so much, hiking below towering walls of weak limestone with ample evidence of fresh debris at you feet is a little unnerving.

Monday, August 20, 2012

An outstanding hike! Make sure you have someone to shuttle you to the top and leave a car at the end of the trail. The trail starts out along the edges of Cedar Break NP. It winds down through thick forests and meadows. Plenty to see. As you descend in elevation you come across Rattlesnake creek and follow it for sometime and then cross over to make the final descent to Ash Down Gorge. The trail here is quite narrow and very steep. Watch your footing! Soon you will see Ash Down Gorge and will enter the river bed. As you follow the river down make sure to look all around because the views are amazing. When you reach Tom's head at the confluence of Rattlesnake Creek and Ash Down make sure you take the time and go up to the waterfalls. There are two spectacular falls at the end of each. One is Rattlesnake creek Falls and the other is Lake Creek Falls. There are also some great little slot canyons here. When you retrace your steps back to Ash Down you will see a different view of Tom's head. A good place to stop and filter some water. You will continue down the river and make sure to keep an eye to the right above or you will miss Flanigan's Arch. About another mile or two down stream the canyon opens up. We encountered a minor problem at the trail end. Since the large landslide in 2011 the trail no longer exists. A large dam was created and we had to scrambled up the slide through fallen trees, holes, and a lot of debris. Be prepared for the final ascent out. A well worth hike and makes for a long day. Make sure your shoes are sturdy enough to handle all the terrains. We only seen two other people on this hike which made it very pleasant.