Rainbow Bridge North Trail

Rainbow Bridge North Trail is a 31.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Powell, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 31.3 miles Elevation Gain: 5,593 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Incredible beauty! Need a high clearance vehicle to get to trailhead. Well marked trail. Good streams for water. Better than expected.

I wouldn’t call this a moderate hike. This hike is hard, especially while carrying a heavy pack. I thoroughly enjoyed this hike. I did it in 24 hours, because of a time constraint. It was exhausting, but this is a great one for a 3 day excursion. I would do it again for a more casual stroll, and to explore. Someone noted that dogs aren’t allowed, but they are. I took both my dogs, and they did great. There is water for them the entire way, so you don’t need to worry about packing it. Really be aware of the flash flood danger. It wasn’t supposed to rain on me, but it did, and was a torrential downpour that made the stream rise 10 feet. Make your camp site with that in mind. Rainbow bridge is quite awesome, and hiking in to see it is so much cooler than taking a boat to see it. Also, there is another arch on the way there. I had never heard of that one before!

North Trail is in Utah while the South Trail starts in Arizona and ends in Utah at the Bridge Monument. I do this hike annually since I'm from Navajo Mountain, Utah. This trail is longer than the south trail but has more Springs to get water from. The trailhead is about a 3-4 mile drive from the small town depending on the type of vehicle you drive because the dirt road can be difficult at times. The trail is marked with rock carons. There might be some branches/rocks on the trails due to weather and there aren't workers to maintain. You will experience all kinds of elements on this trail. Up and down, sandy, rocky, loose rocks, switchbacks, canyons. There are 4 campsites along the trail. Depending on your pace, usually a weekend thing. My family usually leaves from the trailhead Friday morning, camp that night and make it to Echo Camp (Rainbow Bridge) Saturday afternoon. Camp Saturday and take the Ferry into Page that Sunday which is always rewarding after that hike. I have been on the route for a whole week with an outfitting company as a guide. We take llamas. Start on Monday and get to the Bridge Friday and the group takes the Ferry into Page Saturday. Myself and another guide take the llamas and the gear back to the trailhead. We are back to the trailhead on Sunday afternoon. The Views are second to none and definitely plan ahead. You can park your vehicle at the trailhead. Always pack enough food and snacks. Water filters are a must! Good shoes and definitely pack for the weather. It's very close to the mountain so it could get chilly at night sometimes, even in the summer. Pack in it Pack it out policy. Everytime we do that hike, we are always picking up trash that other people leave.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

My then-girlfriend (now wife) and I hiked the South Trail into Rainbow Bridge. (The map on this site shows the North Trail.) It was a truly life-changing experience. We didn't see another soul over our 3 days on the trail. Be careful: the first water is at the 9-mile mark. Also, there's a lot of elevation change. You work your way in and out of steep canyons for the first 6 miles. The NPS link I pasted below has a pretty good description of the trail. I'd recommend that you ask one of the local Navajo if you can park on their property. They'll keep your vehicle safe. We parked at Marlo's house and paid $20 as a courtesy. He and his wife were very friendly. http://www.nps.gov/rabr/planyourvisit/upload/RainbowBridgeSouthTrail040709.pdf