Rainbow Bridge North Trail

Rainbow Bridge North Trail is a 32.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Page, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Hiked this as an adult the first weekend of June 2016, it was the first of heat warnings. I went on the trail about 2-3 times as a kid so don't remember it as much. This trail is my backyard as Navajo Mountain is my childhood home. This was definitely a grounding experience, allowed me to reconnect with nature and also tested my endurance. Despite that, I went with my family as a large group of about 20 (2 kids) and it was a lot of fun, laughs and the encouragement we gave one another made it enjoyable. We are planning again this year. Safety and good planning is essential due to this being a remote area and on the Navajo Nation. I suggest an outfitting company (Canyonlands Field Institute out of Moab, UT) for first timers. Some community members out of Navajo Mountain may also be able to assist, call the Chapter House
Visit the Rainbow Bridge park website for more information.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

My then-girlfriend (now wife) and I hiked the South Trail into Rainbow Bridge. (The map on this site shows the North Trail.) It was a truly life-changing experience. We didn't see another soul over our 3 days on the trail. Be careful: the first water is at the 9-mile mark. Also, there's a lot of elevation change. You work your way in and out of steep canyons for the first 6 miles. The NPS link I pasted below has a pretty good description of the trail. I'd recommend that you ask one of the local Navajo if you can park on their property. They'll keep your vehicle safe. We parked at Marlo's house and paid $20 as a courtesy. He and his wife were very friendly.