Provo Peak is a 11.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.4 miles Elevation Gain: 7,119 feet Route Type: Out & Back

It’s a challenging trail. We started at the bottom as we wanted to get the full experience, and it didn’t disappoint. The Y portion of the trail is very steep and immediately gets your heart going. Trail evens out a bit after the Y for a rocky portion, it then gets over grown with lots of tasty plants (to bugs) - bring (electrolyte) water, sun block and bug repellent -3 hours later, we were standing in front of Provo’s peak thinking that it was not that bad, it had actually been very pleasant on this sunny day. Provo’s revenge was just minutes away (I get goosebumps thinking about it). My husband and I are runners, but Provo soon forced us to slowdown and were taking breaks every 30 feet or so - insane - the good thing though is that with every break we got to enjoy a beautiful day with espectacular views of lake Provo, mount Timpanogos and other surrounding peaks. It took 3 hours to get to the summit from Provo’s base. We had lunch near top (lots of flies on the summit) and made it back to the base in 1 hour. On our way back husband started to get cramps- bad ones, on large muscle groups- and we knew it would be a slow return. 11 hours later, we were back in the car. We clocked 16 miles on our phone app.

I’m a slow at hiking, but from squaw peak road (cuts off a ton of the hike but saves the best for last.) squaw peak road is a horrible road by the way bouncy and rocky. Flat tires for everyone. Anyway still takes me about 3hrs up and 2 down. Steep steep steep. I usually take binoculars for wildlife along the way as well.

I tried this hike yesterday (8-22) from the y trail and made it to the saddle, about 600 feet from the summit of provo peak (and did a detour to the y mountain). Firstly, this hike is no joke. I hike tough peaks often and this destroyed me. I was fine until I was half way up the climb to the summit. I got a bad case of altitude sickness (1st time ever) and incredibly bad cramps (also first time) and couldn't finish. The change in elevation is drastic, around 1k per mile starting immediately. The most I ever did before this was lone peak and king's peak, this trumps both. I would only recommend this if you are in insanely good shape! you can cut mileage off if you take the road past the rock canyon campground, but I wanted the full shebang. additionally, the trail can be hard to find in a few places, with quick turns through highly overgrown areas. all trails maps only marginally helped her!! bring an insane amount of water. I brought less than usual because I had a life straw, but found no water source on the hike. I'd never do this again, but it was beautiful! for most people, I'd recommend just summiting y mountain and calling it a day.

Crazy climb, but the view was AMAZING! It feels amazing when you reach the top because you know that you conquered that crazy mountain.

Beautiful hike with beautiful views! As described, it goes straight up! Plan on full beast mode going up and a steep knee crusher descent. I would recommend long pants given the multitude of bees in the wildflowers and the thick brush. Pay close attention to the reviews which describe how to get to the upper trailhead on the squaw peak road. Very helpful! Recommend!!

If you drive up Provo Canyon and take what I believe is called Squaw Peak Road, you can get to the bottom of the mountain without having to hike the Y trail or go through Slide Canyon. This probably cuts 2/3 of the distance off, and leaves you with only the steepest portion--the final ascent. It's steep and rocky, and you have to hike without a trail for a while until you reach the main ridge that you follow to the top. It's a lot of fun and worth the sweat. Great views from the top on both sides of you go when it's not cloudy.

We summited Provo Peak via Rock Canyon TH, this makes the trip significantly longer. However it was a great hike and the views were spectacular.

Hiked up today. We started from Squaw Peak Road but couldn’t make it all the way to the Provo peak trailhead in our Subaru because there’s a huge pothole that makes it impossible to pass that point. We walked up the Squaw Peak Road from the Provo Canyon side for about 2 miles before reaching the trailhead. It’s not a super long hike, but it’s a brutal one that almost had us turn back a couple times. There’s 3 false peaks that were pretty discouraging and there’s still a couple snowfields that you have to cross. We got caught in a snowstorm at the top and it was hard getting down. Overall, still a good hike. I’d recommend waiting a week or two before trying it. I think we were still a little early on in the season.

Took the squaw peak road and cut off quite a bit of the actual hike, but this was a very very fun hike. It’s very steep so be prepared to climb wayyy up. There is still some snow but it’s fairly packed down so no need for snow shoes. The views from the summit are absolutely stunning. This is a very underrated peak! Highly recommend it.

One of the tallest peaks in the area, it is worth the climb. You will usually only pass a couple people on the trail so enjoy the quiet trail and come prepared for the last 2 miles to hike up and up and up!

Did this hike last summer in July with a group. The last half a mile was rough, and I started getting altitude sickness but ended up making it with slow progress. Beautiful wild flowers all along the trail and a beautiful view at the top.

Monday, September 17, 2018

Drove up squaw peak road and started from there which cut out a good chunk of the hike. Ended up being only about 2 miles each way for us, but a brutal two miles. Not the prettiest but definitely worth it!

Monday, August 20, 2018

Whew that was a doozy! I started at the Hike the Y Parking Lot. Took Slide Canyon up and connected with Squaw Peak Road. Despite reading the reviews I STILL missed the damn cairn! Keep a careful eye for it lest you will have to resort to backtracking or bushwhacking straight up the mountain like I did! Definitely arduous and a good test of endurance, but well worth it! Ascent : 4 Hours 45 Minutes Descent : 2 Hours

Sunday, July 08, 2018

We went up via Slate Canyon and it was gorgeous! It adds an extra mile or so but well worth it. The final ascent is about 2500 ft of elevation gain over the last mile and a half so prepare yourself! Drink lots of water the day before to avoid cramping like I did! I’ve done around 15 peaks in Utah and this is by far the hardest. That being said it was absolutely gorgeous and worth the effort

Monday, July 02, 2018

The wildflowers were beautiful as was the view. As previous people have said, don't miss the carin. My friend and I did and we ended up bush wacking up the side. Stay on the right side of the edge. We also did it from Slate Canyon. That was the prettier overall part of the hike though the views were better from Provo summit. If you have a vehicle that could drive up Squaw peak road, that would be the recommended route.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Holy moly this hike should have an extra hard rating. Squaw Peak and Big Baldy are rated hard and those are not as hard as this one. This trail takes no time getting steep. I drove up the Squaw Peak Rd and started there (high clearance highly recommended). Hike over some rolling hills up a dirt road then there is a cairn that points you up a narrow trail to your right - don’t miss it. You’ll hike through heavy brush and straight sun before it gets to rock trail that’s pretty much a stair climber. Then it’s scree. Lots of loose scree. And all in exposed sun. Only tender mercy is a good wind blows once you get out of the heavy shrubs. There are 3 false summits which was mentally taxing for me. Bring PLENTY of water and mentally prepare yourself for a no mercy uphill grind. Took the dogs up - don’t take yours if they aren’t used to loose scree and don’t handle heat/straight sun well. Outstanding views overall though and tons of wildflowers! No snow (6/22/18)