Learn more

Provo Peak is a 11.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and camping and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 11.4 mi Elevation gain 7,119 ft Route type Out & Back
Photos (383)
Recordings (45)
Completed (193)
Ken Christensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2020
View Ken's Recording
George West
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 16, 2020
View George's Recording
Brandon Hassler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2020
HikingScramble

Took this from Squaw Peak Road which I clocked at 1.8 miles to the top. I think the elevation gain in that time is about 2700 so this hike is STEEP. It's doable with no poles but I would highly recommend using them for this hike. Once you get about a mile up it become a "choose your own adventure" slip-n-slide kind of hike. You won't get lost though as there is nowhere to go but up. Took me about about 90 to reach the top from the road. It's a killer workout, but the true 360 views are 100% worth it. Started hiking at about 6:30am on Saturday and while the trail wasn't "busy" there was always people at the top so it was a more popular hike than I thought. Scariest part of the hike was the drive. The comments didn't emphasize it enough: it is a true "off-road" trail. Once you get past Rock Canyon campground the road gets pretty intense. I would suggest a big truck or Jeep. I took a Santa Fe Sport and bottomed out a few times. Would not drive that road again without a good off-road vehicle.

Alan AllTrails Eaton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
HikingRocky

We started at Squaw Peak Road and it was about 1.5 miles to the top (AllTrails should make it a separate trail). We made it to the top in about an hour and a half without pushing too hard. Quite physically demanding but beautiful vistas the entire way. Nothing very dangerous or scary. Great hike!

Caleb Dayley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingOver grown

This is a really pretty trail. Once you get past the Y there are some really cool meadows and forested areas you go through. Then after crossing Squaw Peak Road, the climb begins (Many people start from there if they have a off road vehicle but I think you miss a lot of good stuff if you do that) The climb to the peak is about 1.5 miles (maybe a little more) but it is plenty brutal. Still was a great hike with some great views!!

Amanda Archibald
HikingBugsNo shade

We started from Squaw Peak Road. The road is really bad! Bring a vehicle with clearance or it will get pretty damaged. As for the hike itself, it’s pretty steep in one of the sections, but it’s not terrible. It’s worse going back down I think. Make sure you bring plenty of water because it gets hot. 3L each was enough for us. Stellar views! There’s a registry but it’s full.

View Amanda's Recording
Cole Trier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020

Took me 3 hr 40 min to ascend and 2 hr 50 min to descend. Last mile of the ascent is capital B Brutal, but the peak is a great reward. Saw no one past Y mountain on a Wednesday morning. Bug spray will be necessary the rest of summer. I didn't use trekking poles, but they would have been handy.

Andrew Munson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

It was all good right up until the last half mile. Steep as can be and all rocks, a real doozie. Being from Florida I was not ready for the thinning air, took me a little longer than expected. Still an incredible view! Totally worth it!

Trace Nilsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

steep! take trekking poles. Great views though. totally worth it.

View Trace's Recording
Bart Garbera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
HikingMuddyRockySnow
View Bart's Recording
Allison Fisher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 17, 2020
Hiking

What a long haul! Made it up to Provo Peak from the Y 5/16. We were able to do the entire trail without spikes or snowshoes, but some may find them helpful. If anything trekking poles are great to help on the steep uphill and help keep your balance on the snow. There were snowy areas in a nice shaded spot shortly before reaching the road to head to the summit, then a few snowy areas that we had to climb up or bushwhack around, but for the most part the trail is clear of all the snow that you see from the valley. Definitely not for the faint of heart, or knees, coming down off Provo Peak and then still needing to go down the Y, but the slight slop in between the two is a nice relief and quite beautiful!

Zachary Clement
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 7, 2020
HikingSnow

I hiked most of this trail this morning but turned back because there was 3 feet of snow higher up and we didn’t bring snowshoes. It was very pretty, though.

Josh Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 23, 2019
IcySnow

I definately underestimated this hike. Everything was smooth until the final ascent. I've hiked over 30 peaks over 11k this year and the final 2500 vertical was brutal. It didn't help that the whole trip I was breaking trail which made the ascent that much more exhausting. If you venture out before the snows too deep take gaiters, crampons, trekking poles and warm clothing. I would not have attempted this in these conditions without the right preparations and gear.

Garrett Fontaine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 10, 2019
IcyMuddyRockySnow

Very challenging hike especially the last incline. Very icy and muddy this time of year. Definitely worth doing once.

Landon Faulkner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2019
Running

Nice beast of a route. Does anyone know of the FKT for this route from “Hike the Y” trailhead? Completed it in RT time of 3:29:01.

Olga Franceschini Fernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 2, 2019
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

It’s a challenging trail. We started at the bottom as we wanted to get the full experience, and it didn’t disappoint. The Y portion of the trail is very steep and immediately gets your heart going. Trail evens out a bit after the Y for a rocky portion, it then gets over grown with lots of tasty plants (to bugs) - bring (electrolyte) water, sun block and bug repellent -3 hours later, we were standing in front of Provo’s peak thinking that it was not that bad, it had actually been very pleasant on this sunny day. Provo’s revenge was just minutes away (I get goosebumps thinking about it). My husband and I are runners, but Provo soon forced us to slowdown and were taking breaks every 30 feet or so - insane - the good thing though is that with every break we got to enjoy a beautiful day with espectacular views of lake Provo, mount Timpanogos and other surrounding peaks. It took 3 hours to get to the summit from Provo’s base. We had lunch near top (lots of flies on the summit) and made it back to the base in 1 hour. On our way back husband started to get cramps- bad ones, on large muscle groups- and we knew it would be a slow return. 11 hours later, we were back in the car. We clocked 16 miles on our phone app.

Kevin Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 1, 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeRocky

I’m a slow at hiking, but from squaw peak road (cuts off a ton of the hike but saves the best for last.) squaw peak road is a horrible road by the way bouncy and rocky. Flat tires for everyone. Anyway still takes me about 3hrs up and 2 down. Steep steep steep. I usually take binoculars for wildlife along the way as well.

Canada Morgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2019
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

I tried this hike yesterday (8-22) from the y trail and made it to the saddle, about 600 feet from the summit of provo peak (and did a detour to the y mountain). Firstly, this hike is no joke. I hike tough peaks often and this destroyed me. I was fine until I was half way up the climb to the summit. I got a bad case of altitude sickness (1st time ever) and incredibly bad cramps (also first time) and couldn't finish. The change in elevation is drastic, around 1k per mile starting immediately. The most I ever did before this was lone peak and king's peak, this trumps both. I would only recommend this if you are in insanely good shape! you can cut mileage off if you take the road past the rock canyon campground, but I wanted the full shebang. additionally, the trail can be hard to find in a few places, with quick turns through highly overgrown areas. all trails maps only marginally helped her!! bring an insane amount of water. I brought less than usual because I had a life straw, but found no water source on the hike. I'd never do this again, but it was beautiful! for most people, I'd recommend just summiting y mountain and calling it a day.