Provo Peak

Provo Peak is a 12 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This was an amazing hike. We live in Spanish Fork area, and drove out Dodge Durango up to where the trail crosses the squaw peak road. Through Hobble creek canyon and around. The road was bit sketchy in some points lots of big rocks and huge washouts. A standard car I don't think would make it. Starting in Spanish Fork and driving up Hobble creek it took us about 1.5 hours, to get to where trail crosses the Squaw Peak Road. There is a loop around and it is fairly obvious the Jeep / ATV trail heads up on the East, which is the trail.

If you travelled in a Razr or ATV you could cut some distance and time off. We parked on the Squaw Peak road. We hiked up the double track and thanks to Matt Faraday's comments we didn't miss the trail heading off to the right. There is a descent sized cairn there now. The trail to the right is about 300 yards beyond the large Quaking Aspen grove the double track heads through. I posted a picture of the cairn.

We are not in extreme physical fitness, just moved here from Missouri. It took us 3 hrs to get to the top with lots of rests to breathe. The top was great, though vision limited by smoke from fires all around. Took us 1.75 hrs to descend. Folks who are in good shape will likely be much faster.

After we drove the Durango on the squaw peak road towards Provo canyon which took about an hour. I can see how a low clearance vehicle would have difficulties. Overall a great day.

Loved it! The only downside is the road to get to the trailhead, if you want to skip hiking the Y and Slide Canyon first. I took my VW Passat up the road and nearly got stuck. We made it, however, and really enjoyed the hike. The road was such slow going though, in a car, that it took us two hours from the mouth of Provo Canyon up Squaw Peak Road to the trailhead. If you have a car with some decent clearance you could do it much more quickly.

The trailhead to Provo Peak has a turn-around and a place to park your car. You'll see a sign on the west side of the turn-around for Slide Canyon and Slate Canyon. Hike up the small road directly east across Squaw Peak Road for about a quarter mile before the narrow, steep trail to the summit takes off up the hill to the right. It's easy to miss. If the double-track road turns to single-track you've missed the trail to the summit. If you have a GPS I'd suggest downloading the route GPX file in advance so you don't miss the trail.

It's really steep, and the 1.76 miles took much longer than anticipated to get to the summit (3.5 hours, with a little detour and pretty regular rest. 1.5 hours down), but was well worth the effort. To the north the summit of Timpanogos is a similar elevation, to the northeast Midway (I think) is visible in the distance, to the west you can see Provo and Utah Lake over Y Mountain, to the south you can follow Squaw Peak Road to Springville and Spanish Fork, with Mount Nebo in clear view as well. To the east is just spectacular mountain scenery. I was surprised by how comparable this Peak is to Timpanogos and Nebo in elevation. And now having hiked Provo Peak I can call myself a real Provoan!

Provo Peak fits well in the difficult category as it is very steep and a moderate distance. The wild flowers were fantastic and the view to the East was amazing. I would recommend this hike to anyone willing to put in the effort to enjoy the beauty of the place.

Amazing view from the summit. I started at the Y mountain trailhead and it was a little over 7 miles to the summit. The first 5 miles are beautiful and not too hard. After you get passed Squaw Peak road it gets pretty brutal. I am in very good shape and I had to take a lot of breaks. It also gets technical due to loose rocks and the steepness grade. It took me five hours from the Y mountain trailhead to get to the summit.

Started from the trail head on Squaw Peak Road, which made this hike easier, but still very difficult. 3000 vertical feet in 1.5 miles is pretty insane, so be prepared. The view though is worth it. Only saw one other group hiking.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

First time on this trail. Started at Y Mountain parking lot. Did not track mileage but 6 miles each way seemed right. I would rate as harder than Timp via the Timpanooke route. The last couple miles are somewhat brutal but doable. Stairclimber from Hades is a proper description. But.....The view is definitely worth it!!!! Did not find a survey marker defining summit; not sure on that.
Hiking poles are a must unless you have young knees, especially going down. Trail is easy enough to see, just need to keep eyes open on the mountain going up. Got lucky with early-mid November weather, was gorgeous. Bottom line, all the pain and discomfort were so worth it!!!! We can do hard things!!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Friday, July 29, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Stair climber from Hades! I started from the trailhead on Squaw Peak road and it was straight up from there (actually, after you leave the ATV trail). Hiking poles are a must, mainly for the descent. Beautiful view.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Monday, June 13, 2016

This hike is a beast. But, it provides a beautiful view of Y Mountain, Squaw Peak, and the entire valley. Very hard, but well worth the effort.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Monday, May 02, 2016

This hike is beatiful but also a monster. lots of loose shale and steep grade the whole way from the Squaw Peak Road. The views are well worth the effort though.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Beautiful hike! My favorite hike in Utah County. Traffic is light (you'll probably be the only one on the trail). The higher you get the more technical things become so do not attempt this hike unless you are 1) very fit and hav good knees, 2) have a fit hiking buddy with good knees, and 3) a whole day to do it.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Wonderful hike, often overlooked, but worth it. Hike is straight up to a beautiful summit that overlooks the Valley and towards wallsburg on the other side. Hiked it in the fall so there was snow maybe half way up. Lots of false summits, 4wd in.

Tuesday, November 03, 2015