Providence Canyon Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(73)
Providence, Utah

Providence Canyon Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Providence, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,217 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail was ok, lots of shade and cool temps by the river. A lot of bike traffic. When we got to the end of the 3.1 mile trail we were told the waterfalls were another mile uphill past the quarry. Two waterfalls are accessible to walk right up to and the third was higher up on the north slope. You can drive a side by side or bike right up to the waterfalls so not really worth the hike past the quarry.

Nice walk! Took me two hours. Will run it next time.

The trail starts waaaaaaaaay at the front of the canyon. If you’re looking to get to the waterfalls, I’d say save yourself some of the walk and drive up as far as you can. You’ll have to walk on the road anyway if you don’t. The waterfalls are past the quarry and while there is snow, my snowshoes didn’t serve me. The sun was hot enough to make extra jackets a just dead weight too.

This trail runs right by the road the whole time and goes through gun ranges, so you hear guns the whole hike. The river is beautiful but the trail doesn’t go much further than 3.5 miles because it’s too snowy right now (April 7th). I didn’t see any waterfalls either, but regardless it’s a beautiful trail.

icy

Good trail and great views. Pretty snowy this time of year (3/20/20) but still manageable. ATVs, Snowmobiles, and Shooting made for a loud noisy hike and the dirt road is almost always visible from the trail. Not the most “out there” but still worth doing. 3 waterfalls at the too PAST the quarry. The hike ends up being about 7-8 miles and goes past the AllTrails red line map. Fun hike, would do again!

The trail was really good! It has been a month since I rode it last and I swear there are some new features, or maybe I just didn’t notice them before. The shade provided nice breaks from the afternoon sun and it was a rewarding ride to watch the evening sun and the colors in the sky. I’ll be back for more! Let it be noted that I was riding an eBike, admittedly I am not near fit enough to have done this unassisted. ;)

beautiful hike for the first half. second half did not like since you have to walk on the road to get to waterfalls.

Very pretty, lots of shade. There were several mountain bikers. And sadly we never made it to the waterfall, it is apparently beyond the end of the trail. Hoping to find it next time.

Sun May 26 2019

Really great lookin' trail. Lush, plenty of water. Don't go if you have PTSD tho as there is Target shooting going on often. Also, ignore my rec. I forgot to stop it till I got home.

Tue May 14 2019

Nice waterfalls at the beginning, but definitely more of a biker’s trail. Not much else to see towards the end. Decent workout and not very steep. Great for beginners or those wanting an easier hike.

Tue Apr 16 2019

Good trail, can do about 2 miles in before you hit deeper snow and would need a fat bike. Good flow to it and not too crowded. Only complaint is the target shooting nearby makes it a little sketchy sometimes when you don’t know where they are shooting from.

Fri Mar 22 2019

Really moderate trail that's super accessible. Great to run, bike, hike

Sat Oct 06 2018

Beautiful hike for all seasons. Shade in the summer, beautiful fall foliage and usually groomed in the winter (I like to snowshoe it). It is a gradual climb along the stream with a couple of bridges. Once you reach the rock quarry hill it is a bit steeper and has looser rock, but getting to the top provides a beautiful view down canyon and of the waterfalls (we spotted three on a rainy day). There are a lot of shell fossils in the loose quarry rock that are fun to find. Note: the waterfalls are actually just beyond where the red path line on the map shows; you have to hike up to the top of the rock quarry to see them. Once you come to the giant loose rock hill, follow the 4 wheel drive road up to the quarry. When the road reaches the flat top of the quarry, look left and right there may be one on each side. To find the third and easiest to walk up to, walk the flat quarry top west until it turns back in to a dirt road and turns the corner. The waterfall is just beyond that turn.

Sun Sep 23 2018

It was a fun hike!! Beautiful steam, waterfalls and plenty of friendly mountain bikers to ask questions of! We’ll do it again !!

Fri Jul 20 2018

Awesome downhill!! Although there is a section where you can gap the river but make sure you can clear it! Other than that it’s very fun downhill good for beginners and your riders.

Sat Jun 23 2018

I wouldn’t really call this a technical trail. There’s a couple of small rock gardens, but they aren't much. I would feel comfortable taking beginners who have several runs behind them up there. Not good for a total noob though. From a technical point-of-view, I’d rate it green-blue. I did give it a total blue because it is a decent test of one’s aerobic fitness.

Wed May 16 2018

Best running trail in cache valley hands down. Really gradual and playful. Technically ends at the quarry but you could really take it to the top if you wanted. If you want to see the waterfall get to the top of the quarry. Not a trail for a destination, also not the best for hiking. Not busy and good views.

Mon Nov 27 2017

I thought this trail lead straight to the waterfalls. Maybe I missed it but I lost the trail (or came to the end?) and ended up just walking up the steep road by the huge rock pile to get to the falls basically at the end of the road. The trail is beautiful. It follows the river most the way, good tree coverage, and some cool mossy rocks. If hiking beware of mountain bikers. Bikers please be aware of hikers and let them know you are coming if you are behind them! There is a lot of target practice going on, and as mentioned before, the trail is right by the road. So if it's serenity you seek, seek somewhere else. You can drive up to the falls too. High clearance is better obviously for those few bumpy spots, but we made it in a Ford Focus. I also saw a couple Honda's up there too.

Fri Jun 23 2017

The trail didn't feel like a real hiking trail. It's too close to the road that you hear cars passing the whole way. Also be warned of the cattle throughout the whole canyon. There are a couple of different water falls. One is easy to find. The other is hidden but is beautiful.

Sun Jun 18 2017

It was a very long hike. I didn't like that they had cows and bulls along the path as well as people firing their weapons so close to the trail. I probably wouldn't do this hike again.

Mon Jun 05 2017

Fun trail, up is a challenge for some, but no hikabike areas. However I can run this trail faster than I can bike it.. Down is a blast, but be courteous of those going up. Gets crowded Saturday mornings.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Best trail in cache valley, easy access, smooth, and not as crowded as the others I've tried. I love this trail, it's my all-time favorite now for biking and hiking with my dogs as there is a stream next to it for them to cool off and get a drink.

Fri Apr 21 2017

Love this trail! So gorgeous!

Wed Feb 01 2017

Very very great trial. Would recommend getting shuttled to the top. It is very steep and long to bike up. It is a great down hill single track. It has some technical rock sections awesome berms you can nail Anne is just all around a great trail but beware there are a lot of places people like to shoot so be careful