Progeny Peak Trail

Progeny Peak Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Short but challenging summit hike. Includes the beautiful Two Pines Arch along the way. Located in Zion National Park are massive monoliths of rock. Some peaks, like Angels Landing, can be reached by park maintained trails. Others, like Lady Mountain can be reached by unmaintained trails requiring technical knowledge. Most require the use of climbing gear and a lifetime of experience to reach the top. Of all the mountain tops in Zion, only a handful are true peaks, most are plateau's where the views are breathtaking, but not really a peak. Fewer still can be reached in the amount of time and distance as Progeny peak. Along the way is the beautiful Two Pines Arch. When viewed close and looking straight on, it gives you the same illusion as Indiana Jones' "Leap of Faith."

Attempted this hike today with my husband. We're fit and enjoy a challenging hike but we really struggled with the steep, crumbling rock faces, and had to turn back (unheard of for us normally!). We may well have slightly missed the ideal route (no route markings and several possible trails to hop on) but I think you do need specialist equipment traverse the rocks. We scrambled around and made it to a lovely view just off to the right of the 'real' trail, but I don't think this is a good hike for budding amateurs, alas.

Attempted the hike alone today, but just made it to the arch. I'm getting a bit old and chickened out on the final ascent to the top.

I enjoyed this short hike to a true peak. The views from the top are worth the climb and it did not require gear. Depending on the way you go to the top may require more or less technical climbing experience but it is possible to climb to the top with just your originally supplied arms and legs. I'd suggest staying to the west side and just keep climbing until you can access the peak from the north.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

I had a chance to hike this summit again with a good friend and his son (age 11 + friend also age 11). What a fun hike. We added our names to the registry (added paper also) and on the way down my friend told me how cool it was to sign the registry (his first time) on the peak of something spectacular! I couldn't agree more.

Friday, May 06, 2011

I love this summit hike! Short rewarding peak, and the beautiful Two Pines Arch along the way.