Professor Creek and Mary Jane Canyon Trail

Professor Creek and Mary Jane Canyon Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Fabulous trail - very easy but watch for the trail head or you will miss it. Waterproof footwear a must. Stunning walk with beautiful rock formations highly recommend. Be prepared to get dirty!

beautiful. Here's the deal... Trail head is not where it's posted on this website. Go to the dead end of the road. Same lot as Sylvester. No signs, just follow the footpath away from sylvester and it will become apparent that your on the right trail. Incase you care, we crossed the river 180 times there and back.

SO BOSS!

Awesome hike. Be sure to go to the END of the dirt road to park.

easy hike, made it to the falls in 1.5 hours. could totally spend the day here searching the side canyons.

Unbelievable. Will definitely do it again.

I did it on Father's Day with my 73-year-old dad. It is a very gentle 8 mile out and back. Temperatures reached 102 but we were rarely hot as it was easy to get into the stream. In a part of the country over run by gazing there was no sign of cows. As others have mentioned it dead ends in a spectacular waterfall. There are several side canyons. We went up one and saw a rather rare collared lizard. Definitely a five star hike!

My favorite trail I hiked in Moab area (late March)! If you're looking for a unique, fun trail, this is it y'all. You get water, canyons, and amazing views in front, to the sides, and above you. Just beware, the trailhead at this location IS NOT Professor Creek trail. You'll want to walk back to the parking lot from the trail head and to the right you'll see the trail going up the dry creek bed. By no means a strenuous trail, but your feet will get WET. Most of the time you're hiking through the creekbed, which was my favorite part. I hiked in Chacos and it was super refreshing! The waterfall at the end is the icing on the cake! 10/10 recommend.

I think this is now my favorite hike in Moab (which is a hard thing to be). Absolutely beautiful! We went over Memorial day weekend and there was tons of flower and cactus in bloom. The water was calm, shallow, and warm. Don't bother trying to keep your feet dry as you have to wade into the water at the end to see the waterfall. Note, there were areas that had a lot of poison ivy near and encroaching on the trail. BEWARE! Also, I am not sure where there was 1827 ft in elevation gain I clocked about 250. The parking lot fills up VERY quickly so be early or you'll have problems parking. I will definitely be coming here again.

Great, easy hike with a fabulous reward at the end - a waterfall! I would definitely recommend water shoes. Fun alternative to the national parks!

cool hike! beautiful quite canyon. can not overstate to bring watershoes!

A lot of water crossing so be ready to get wet. The views are spectacular, especially when you hit the canyon.

Ohhhhhhh my goodness, beautiful!!! I enjoyed every second of this hike! Not one part was dull or not scenic. I highly recommend!

Great hike through the water crossings views change do much going in and out,

fun hike! a tad long for my 9 year old but enough fun to keep him from complaining. the waterfall​ does not disappoint

Sooo beautiful! Great hike and even suitable for my small dog. Absolutely nothing to climb and in a shallow streambed the entire walk. Very different than the canyons in the San Rafael swell and Hanksville area. Do not follow the signed trail. The trail starts on the other side of the parking area

Saturday, April 01, 2017

We made the mistake of going to the sign in the parking lot to start the hike. This is NOT the waterfall hike, so will have to come back to try it again. Apparently if you go in the opposite direction from the sign, there is another trail.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Beautiful hike

Friday, March 17, 2017

This hike is 4.6 there and 4.6 miles back, 9.2 round trip. It is beautiful and the Canyon walls get bigger and bigger the further you go. Make sure you are wearing shoes that can get wet, about ankle deep. A lot of people that we saw on trail did not. This trail is accessible for all vehicle types. Don't take the first off road fork. Drive to the end of the road you are on and there is a very obvious trailhead with a map and parking area. The trail starts across from the dry creek bed not by the sign. Follow the trail/footsteps that you see. You follow the creek all the way in. It is pretty shady as well. I would say about half of the trail is in the sun and half in the shade. Beautiful views.

Friday, October 21, 2016

It is a really great hike. I'm not sure if this is always the case but there was absolutely nobody else with us on our journey. It was really a nice departure from Arches and the business of some other surrounding areas. Plus, this hike was just so much fun with amazing scenery!!

Friday, September 16, 2016

I would rate this as more moderate than easy. There is not a lot of elevation gained but balancing on the rocks requires a lot of ankle use which isn't super common. I highly recommend bringing hiking sticks for balance. Trail is super fun- there are a few scrambles but nothing crazy. A lot of exposure at the beginning but the last third or so is mostly shaded. The waterfall at the end is super cool. TONS of frogs and lizards! Absolutely no GPS once you get into the narrower part of the canyon.

Friday, July 01, 2016

This is a hidden gem! I was so surprised that there was such a cool and wet trail just west of Fisher Towers. The first 20 minutes is in the sun but the rest of the trail follows a creek and you go in and out of narrows with cliff overhangs. Your feet will be wet most of the time!. Don't take the main trail, it is not Professor Creek, go east or left of the parking lot down the dry wash. Plan on 4 hours out and back.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

After finally doing this hike this past April it is now on my top 3 for hikes around Moab. I have three black dogs and they get hot in the sun. This hike has shade once the canyon walls close in, it has water to walk through when you are out in the sun and being in a canyon means my dogs can't wonder off too far. I also think it has a pretty view. -Heather

For a full review on this hike check out my blog post at: http://www.mylifestyletoyours.com/04/2016/hiking-mary-jane-canyon/

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great trail! Beautiful walk up the river. Highly recommend taking a dip in the waterfall.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great trail! Follows the creek the entire way. We brought out Keens and walked in the water most of the hike. The waterfall at the end was a treat.

This hike is kind of a small version of the narrows.

We didn't see a ton of other people on the trail and were there on a Saturday.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Awesome little hike! Really fun to explore the off shoot canyons as well.

Monday, May 09, 2016

Such a fun hike!

Friday, June 12, 2015

This hike is like a mini "Narrows". The entire hike is flat, and you'll either follow an occasional trail along the creek, but most of your time will be spent splashing through Professor Creek. Our group found the most success using river shoes, as we could walk wherever we wanted, without rocks getting in your shoes. The views are impressive throughout the entire hike, and there is never a dull moment. As you get deeper into the canyon, the walls around you get taller and taller. You'll eventually come to a waterfall just over 4 miles out, and you continue past this point (impassable). This is one of my favorite hikes in the area.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Professor Creek/Mary Jane Canyon is one of my favorite hikes in the Moab area. The hiker trail follows Professor Creek up the narrowing canyon to a chokestone waterfall that is impassable. There is an exit route from the canyon that allows you to hike around the chokestone and back into the canyon.

I have the waterfall at just over 4 miles out from the parking lot. My calculations can be off. We have reached the waterfall in about 2 hours with a direct route up the creek, or about 3.5 hours with exploring the several feeder canyons.

Canyon walls provide shade, and the creek is shallow and cool. I wear light boots and kept them dry until just before the waterfall. The canyon starts wide and ends at the chokestone falls very narrow.