Learn more

Professor Creek and Mary Jane Canyon Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(188)
Moab, Utah

Professor Creek and Mary Jane Canyon Trail is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 541 feet Route Type: Out & Back

PLEASE NOTE: Parking is limited to 28 spaces at the lot. Parking is strictly prohibited along the road. If the parking lot is full please find a different area to hike. This is an easy, family friendly trail that runs along and through Professor Creek. Be prepared to get your feet wet as you weave in and out of the creek during your journey.

4 minutes ago

Was a super fun trail. But did take quite a while, clocked 8.6 miles total, about four hours total. you will NOT be able to avoid getting your feet wet! First time you see the creek don’t even bother trying to not get wet just walk through it, you’ll be doing it the whole time and it cools you off!!

One of my favorite easy and fun dog friendly hikes near Moab! You will be crisscrossing and walking through the creek this entire hike, so prepare to get your feet wet! The hike ends at a chock stone “waterfall” where the canyon becomes impassable. As others have noted, don’t follow Sylvester trail right at the trailhead. Instead go left down to the creek and follow the trail parallel to the creek.

great trail. very moderate. your feet will get wet!

Hiked this 6/3/2020 - the trail head cuts down across the dried up creek, and toward the sound of the running water. It took about 5 hours up and 2.5 down because I was in photo heaven. Made it down just before total dark at 9:10pm. Absolutely amazing!!!

This was one of my favorite trails I’ve done in a long time!! It’s easy enough to wear water shoes, the waterfall at the end is worth it! Make sure you bring water!

Gorgeous hike! You’ll be walking through tons of water, so be prepared! Canyon was beautiful, one of my favorite hikes. Clocked 8.6 miles. Don’t go to the Sylvester trail at the parking lot, the correct trail is on the opposite side towards the running creek.

Beautiful hike, but not 7.6 miles round trip it was 10.

Popular hike. Was there mid-day on a Thursday, 95F. Hiking in the water felt fantastic. The last mile before/after the waterfall was in shade.

The hike didn’t go as planned as I ended up on the wrong trail. I realized my mistake so I just wondered up a mostly dry creek bed for 5 miles until I was ready to turn around instead of backtracking to the correct trail which was still a great hike! At the parking lot make sure you drop over the bank towards the creek and don’t go towards the right where the wooden sign is at.

Great trail for folks with dogs. Our two pups loved every second of it. We were there on Memorial Day and only saw about 10 people in the 8 miles to the waterfall and back. The trail is not confusing at all; when in doubt, just follow the creek.

Such an awesome trail! Super mellow and follows an active stream, so wear shoes you don’t mind getting wet! Hiked mid day and there ended up being plenty of shade. Kid friendly, dog friendly. Once you get to the parking lot area head left, the opposite way of the wooden board.

This hike was a great surprise! If you plan on hiking the whole thing, don't bother trying to go over rock paths in the water to avoid getting wet. Just get in the water!! It makes it WAY more fun, like being a kid again. It's a bit difficult to figure out where the trail goes (though we created a fun new game called "Is This the Trail?"), but just follow the creek (near it, or as I preferred, IN it) and you will be fine! Can't wait to go back!

Overall, a really great hike. A bit challenging to follow at points and lots of creek crossings that left our feet very cold by the end (wear proper footwear!). About 2 miles in the canyon walls start to get more narrow and tall. Really nice and would do again!

This hike is rad! A little ice in spots during the last half mile before the waterfall. (Feb 13 2020) Pretty easy to overall to complete. Great trail for dogs!

Can not recommend this trail enough!! Kind of confusing to find but once you’re there you can’t get lost. Amazing views the whole way, just be prepared to get your feet wet. My dog LOVED it.

As expected, the water was high and quite icy.

If you like hiking into a gradually narrowing canyon, while crossing/jumping the stream dozens of times, this hike is for you. Hiking all the way to the falls, chances are your feet will get wet and cold. So be prepared. It was in the mid 60's, but we did have to layer up as we neared the falls. There are a couple of side canyons a good way in that looked interesting to explore. May be technical though. For most of the hike, your crossing the water every minute or two, got old after an hour or so. Probably won't hike it again unless we plan to check out one of those offshutes. Although may be a nicer experience early or late summer with some water shoes.

Great! Fun hike mostly in and along creek. Feet’s are getting wet.

This is probably a bit harder than moderate as stream crossings include jumping, high stepping, lots of balancing, more trail finding and up and down steep cliff banks than expected. Poles would have helped! We clocked just over 8 miles round trip and 4 hours. We arrived at trailhead at 8am and very glad as it would have been a hot afternoon hike. Our dog loved it. The waterfall is quite spectacular. Overall, interesting longish hike that is well worth the effort! Directions can be misleading as even though warned we inadvertently headed out Sylvester. Only when looking back did we realize we were just beyond the Sylvester trailhead sign. BLM, please add a Professor Creek trailhead!!

This is one of my favorite hikes! No permit required and dog friendly. The trail starts to the left when you park, then go down and over the ditch. Lots of water crossings. Only saw 3 people. Waterfall at the end made this an awesome hike.

This trail

Awesome trail. follow the water all the way to the falls (4.6 miles). the total distance up and back is around 8.4 miles, just FYI. the trial head is back left as you pull in, isn't marked. Sylvester is the wrong trail.

Nice easy trail for the little ones (6-9) they loved walking the stream ( creek) We saw loads of wild life even a snake!

Fun hike. I enjoyed the falls. Interesting canyon

Arguably the best trail outside Moab. We have done all the trails in arches and a few more outside Moab but this is likely the best. Very quiet and a great place to take your dogs to cool off in the stream. Make sure to bring water shoes or shoes you don’t mind getting soaked because they will. When you show up at the trail you have to go down the ditch, up the other side, and then you will see the trailhead. There is no marking of the start of the trail but it is pretty beaten down. Don’t be fooled by the other trail, Sylvester?, connected to the same parking lot it is not this trail.

Sat Jun 29 2019

Great dog trail, BUT go early! I started at 930 and was out by 2 and the Sand was too hot for my dog to comfortably walk on. But you can walk in the creek the whole way up to the falls and back to stay cool. The TH has 2 trails, the one past the sign/map does not go to the waterfall. Follow trail by parking lot and flowing water. If you follow the water upstream you can't get lost.

Tue Jun 18 2019

A man with a group of 4 assaulted my dog with his hiking pole yesterday because my dog (a 6 month old puppy) got startled by the group and barked at him. If anyone knows this group please send them my way so I can give them some education. Besides that, great hike. Lots of water for the dogs. Beautiful red rock. Loved standing under the waterfall at the end to cool off.

Mon Jun 17 2019

Cold feet in spring

Thu Jun 06 2019

Perfect hike for summer time in Moab, you are able to cool off in the creek, only mostly ankle deep. The parking area fills up if you go later in the day.

Wed May 29 2019