Prince of Wales Mine Trail

Prince of Wales Mine Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Snowbird, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is best used from June until October.

Quick hike through an old mining district to a really neat abandoned mine. Prince of Wales Mine can also be accessed from Silver Fork (Big Cottonwood) though this route is from Alta and Grizzly Gulch (Little Cottonwood). Lots of old abandoned equipment, including a full boiler, but no structures remain. Both vertical shafts are grated over with steel, but you'll still want to watch smaller children closely! Spectacular views of Honeycomb Canyon can be achieved with a small 100 yard detour near Prince of Wales Mine.

You start to get amazing views about 3/4 mile from the mines

The hike is steep and if you're used to moderate hikes it will be no problem.
It has great views of the Alta ski slopes and surrounding areas. Lots of beautiful places where flowers grow if they are in season.
The hike itself is very exposed to the sun. Bring lots of water and/or hike in early/late hours.
You will get up to a point where you can see a few mine remnants and there's a T in the trail. To the right it dead ends really quick but you can see some cool stuff. I believe you are supposed to take the Left path to finish getting all the way to the mine but we ran out of water and couldn't make it to the top.

This was a great trail. We missed the path to the upper part of the mine, and didn't want to climb the tailings with our baby, so that was kind of disappointing. However, it was still really cool to see all the remnants from mining at various points on the trail. The views were beautiful. I'd suggest hitting up Davenport Hill while you're up there, since it's not too far out of the way and also offers stellar views.

Hiked the loop to Twin Lakes Pass and then onto Prince of Wales. The wildflowers are beginning to bloom and the views of Big Cottonwood, Alta and the Pfeifferhorn are great. It is sunny along the trail. Make sure and take the detour to the Honeycomb Cliffs. Trail is easy to follow and only one steep rocky section.

pretty good. very well traveled though. about 1/3 is walking on a dirt road.

Hike from Alta restaurant to PoW mine this morning. Still a little bit of snow on the trail but nothing that you would need snowshoes or spikes. A lot of water flowing down from the upper peaks and great views down the canyon.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Just completed this hike with the whole family today. It was a little more challenging than I anticipated but we all made it to the summit. My two oldest kids, ages 9 and 10, did it without much complaining. It got a little chilly at the top, probably a good idea to pack an extra layer just in case. Both me and my hubby had our toddlers in backpacks on our backs and we hauled them the whole way. It was a steady steep climb most of the way up and we took several breaks on the way to check out the cool abandoned mining equipment. Not too busy on the trail. Gorgeous views along the way and at the summit!

Thursday, October 13, 2016

I loved this hike! Though maybe it goes without saying and I just missed it, if you veer to the right once you see the old mine it takes you up to the top of the peak behind it. Definitely will repeat this one.

Monday, September 26, 2016

We did this after freshly fallen snow so it was exceptionally beautiful but much harder than it otherwise would have been. This trail also links up to the twin lakes trail--not the most scenic mountain lakes, but the views of all the peaks, especially in fall are stunning.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Mostly easy terrain as you're basically walking on an old mining road. Very little shade. Beautiful views along the way. I would likely have given more stars if I had gone during wildflower season, which seems to be when it looks most spectacular. The abandoned mining machinery adds an interesting treat at the end. Took me a little over an hour to get to the top and a half hour to get back down. I jogged much of the way down except for one portion that is particularly steep with loose rocks.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Loved this trail. Scenic the entire way up. The views once you get to the end of the trail make the sweat worth it.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Beautiful trail. Exposed, with several side trails.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Awesome trail. Steep in spots and not a really easy hike but not too hard either. We were alone except for one group of three we saw once in the distance. The scenery is awesome. The wildflowers were amazing but I think we missed their prime by about a week. When you get the the top there are two ways you can reach the mine. From the base you can scramble up the rocky tailings but that's slippery and tricky. Or you can take a right hand fork about 100 yards before the mine that takes you to it easily. It's safer too. Highly recommend this trail.

Monday, July 25, 2016

The wildflowers were gorgeous! Great views and not crowded even though it was a holiday. Kinda tough for my 6 yo. Go all the way to see the mine shafts and old boiler. We also did the lower path accidentally (go right at the end to see the boiler) and we also did Davenport Hill which wasn't worth it IMO. The views are just as decent on the trail. Didn't see a waterfall just a creek

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The wildflowers are beautiful! The last portion of the trail around the bend was especially stunning. I would recommend it.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Great Views! Not that well marked, but if you follow the map here it is easy enough to find. Probably not for small children.

Monday, July 18, 2016

The wild flowers were outstanding today. Not the easiest trail to follow (no signs or markers). We were lucky to have a friend who knew the area like the back of his hand. Might be a bit of guessing if you don't.

Monday, July 18, 2016

The wildflowers are GORGEOUS right now! He hike took us about 2 hours roundtrip (1:20 to the mine). The road gets a little steep with some loose rock at times (get that heart rate up!), but nothing too technical. Definitely be doing this one again!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Lovely trail. Steep entry from the parking lot with some rocky stretches, but lots of beautiful wild flowers, as promised. We would definitely hike this trail again.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Loved this hike! The views were beautiful...the mining stuff was cool...but do it for the views. Wildflowers everywhere! There are a few different stretches that are steep...not "kid friendly" at all...I have three little boys who could not do this hike. Parts of the trail are very rocky...especially one stretch that is just solid rocks. On our way down we followed the little creek up off the trail a ways to a large open area, would be great for camping if you can deal with the mosquitos. We even saw a deer!