Prince of Wales Mine Trail

Prince of Wales Mine Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Snowbird, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from June until October.

Quick hike through an old mining district to a really neat abandoned mine. Prince of Wales Mine can also be accessed from Silver Fork (Big Cottonwood) though this route is from Alta and Grizzly Gulch (Little Cottonwood). Lots of old abandoned equipment, including a full boiler, but no structures remain. Both vertical shafts are grated over with steel, but I'd watch those smaller children closely! Spectacular views of Honeycomb Canyon can be achieved with a small 100 yard detour near Prince of Wales Mine.

Just completed this hike with the whole family today. It was a little more challenging than I anticipated but we all made it to the summit. My two oldest kids, ages 9 and 10, did it without much complaining. It got a little chilly at the top, probably a good idea to pack an extra layer just in case. Both me and my hubby had our toddlers in backpacks on our backs and we hauled them the whole way. It was a steady steep climb most of the way up and we took several breaks on the way to check out the cool abandoned mining equipment. Not too busy on the trail. Gorgeous views along the way and at the summit!

I loved this hike! Though maybe it goes without saying and I just missed it, if you veer to the right once you see the old mine it takes you up to the top of the peak behind it. Definitely will repeat this one.

We did this after freshly fallen snow so it was exceptionally beautiful but much harder than it otherwise would have been. This trail also links up to the twin lakes trail--not the most scenic mountain lakes, but the views of all the peaks, especially in fall are stunning.

Mostly easy terrain as you're basically walking on an old mining road. Very little shade. Beautiful views along the way. I would likely have given more stars if I had gone during wildflower season, which seems to be when it looks most spectacular. The abandoned mining machinery adds an interesting treat at the end. Took me a little over an hour to get to the top and a half hour to get back down. I jogged much of the way down except for one portion that is particularly steep with loose rocks.

Loved this trail. Scenic the entire way up. The views once you get to the end of the trail make the sweat worth it.

Beautiful trail. Exposed, with several side trails.

Awesome trail. Steep in spots and not a really easy hike but not too hard either. We were alone except for one group of three we saw once in the distance. The scenery is awesome. The wildflowers were amazing but I think we missed their prime by about a week. When you get the the top there are two ways you can reach the mine. From the base you can scramble up the rocky tailings but that's slippery and tricky. Or you can take a right hand fork about 100 yards before the mine that takes you to it easily. It's safer too. Highly recommend this trail.

The wildflowers were gorgeous! Great views and not crowded even though it was a holiday. Kinda tough for my 6 yo. Go all the way to see the mine shafts and old boiler. We also did the lower path accidentally (go right at the end to see the boiler) and we also did Davenport Hill which wasn't worth it IMO. The views are just as decent on the trail. Didn't see a waterfall just a creek

The wildflowers are beautiful! The last portion of the trail around the bend was especially stunning. I would recommend it.

Great Views! Not that well marked, but if you follow the map here it is easy enough to find. Probably not for small children.

The wild flowers were outstanding today. Not the easiest trail to follow (no signs or markers). We were lucky to have a friend who knew the area like the back of his hand. Might be a bit of guessing if you don't.

The wildflowers are GORGEOUS right now! He hike took us about 2 hours roundtrip (1:20 to the mine). The road gets a little steep with some loose rock at times (get that heart rate up!), but nothing too technical. Definitely be doing this one again!

Lovely trail. Steep entry from the parking lot with some rocky stretches, but lots of beautiful wild flowers, as promised. We would definitely hike this trail again.

Loved this hike! The views were beautiful...the mining stuff was cool...but do it for the views. Wildflowers everywhere! There are a few different stretches that are steep...not "kid friendly" at all...I have three little boys who could not do this hike. Parts of the trail are very rocky...especially one stretch that is just solid rocks. On our way down we followed the little creek up off the trail a ways to a large open area, would be great for camping if you can deal with the mosquitos. We even saw a deer!

Beautiful hike with a stream of water that I drank from. Plenty of wild flowers and breathtaking views of the mountains. Not too steep either.