Primrose Overlook via Horse Flat Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(180)
Mount Timpanogos Wilderness

Primrose Overlook via Horse Flat Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 787 feet Route Type: Out & Back

One of my favorite hikes, the view is excellent. Just a note about the mileage-my watch said this was closer to 4 miles RT.

A great hike! We started at Aspen Grove (gate on Alpine loop is closed), which resulted in about a 3.7 mile (one way), and 2,000’ gain. Trail is in great shape, lots of shade. Just past hidden pond these is some snow to the overlook (though should be gone in 1-2 weeks), but not much of a problem. A half-day hike, and well worth it!!!

closed

The alpine loop is closed, so we got creative on getting to primrose. We took mt timp trail to lame horse to horse flat, and then to primrose. Amazing nature views all the way up. It is snowy once you get to primrose trail, snowy and steep. But we made it just fine up to the overlook. WOW. Spectacular panoramic views! Took us 4 hours total, probably would be faster without the snow. In a few weeks all the wildflowers will be grown and everything will be green, with the snow melted it should be gorgeous!

I thought this was a beautiful trail. I camped on the ridge above the overlook at the end and loved it. Watch out for bull moose and hunters. Bring a whistle and some orange clothing maybe just in case.

Super stunning view after a decently steep section at the end. No snow yet as of the end of September.

Moose are dangerous and very aggressive animals even more dangerous than bears!!! DO NOT approach this mating pair and give them a lot of distance. If you take dogs moose can not tell the difference between your dog and a coyotes making the moose more aggressive. I am telling you this from personal experience!!! Educate yourselves before you hike anywhere.

Love this hike beautiful views. Just beware that there where two moose about .25 miles up the trail that seemed very happy to hang out there they where there on our way up and back.

Our favorite hike of the summer! The views are spectacular of Mount Timp. She’s a beaut! Saw a couple moose on the way down right off the trail, too.

We didn’t go to the overlook, but we saw two bull moose!

Hiked this not knowing where it would end up, very satisfied with the overlook! Almost a 360 from the top of the surrounding mountains. Pretty easy for 3/4 and the last 1/4 is pretty steep. Trail is a little muddy from this weekend but not bad at all. My dog and I loved it!

Amazing overlook. Easy for 80% then a ridiculous climb with loose surface. Had a fall + injury on the way down. Saw a moose :)

This is a beautiful trail, it was perfect for a morning hike. there are a couple of steep areas, but the view of the primrose cirque is amazing! I wouldn't recommend this for younger children, unless they are already avid hikers.

Did this hike with 6 other women of all hiking abilities. The way up wasn’t bad at all. Didn’t realize how steep it was until the way back. We slipped a couple of times. The hike was amazingly beautiful!

Friday afternoon. saw no one on way up and spent 30 minutes at the overlook all by myself. half mile back down before saw 1st people heading up. End view is stunning. Back down in the valley was 100 but on the trail was low 80s and mostly shaded. Couple spots are a good uphill climb. Myself being below moderate fitness had no trouble.

We did this in the early afternoon and didn’t notice any bug problems. The views are stunning and worth the drive and hike! My dog came home with a lot of burrs in her coat though. It was still worth it :)

This was a pretty fun hike. The ending is worth it for sure. Beautiful views of the mountains! Bring big spray, I got bit quite a few times. I did this hike with a 2 1/2 year old in a hiking back pack. There were some spots that were a little slick just due to loose gravel but nothing awful.

The trail is fairly easy for 70% of it. I took my kids on it and we loved all the wildflowers and meadows you walk through. It’s a beautiful walk through open valleys, dense foliage, and aspen forest.

Super fun hike with lots of shade. Lots of bugs but manageable with bug spray. Not very trafficked, we went mid morning and only ran into three other groups of people until we got back to the parking lot.

Relatively easy hike with fantastic views. If you have a baby on your back, there are some steep places that are a little precarious.

Beautiful well marked trail with a stunning view! I will totally do this again!

Beautiful hike! It’s not a highly trafficked trail, I only saw two other people during my hike. Bring bug spray! The view was amazing, especially for such a small climb.

Beautiful loop to go up Horse flat to the overlook and back down the lame horse connection. Amazing views from the top, nice simple hike. It gets a bit steep near the overlook but not too bad.

Beautiful views!