Primrose Overlook via Horse Flat Trail

Primrose Overlook via Horse Flat Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

35 minutes ago

I summited Mt. Timp last fall via Aspen Grove. The lookout at the farthest end of this hike opened up to a very nice view of a large portion of my Mt. Timp hike bringing back memories of each section of that hike.
I too had issues on this hike with pesky flying bugs that seemed to enjoy repeatedly flying around my head. I had luck keeping them at bay with a small leafy Aspen branch in hand swung around as needed.

Really pretty not too hard hike. An incredible view which was worth the bugs that accompany you. Although if the hike was much longer I might not have been able to give such a high review due to the little buggers.

Great trail with lots of shade. Steep in parts but only for short periods. Love the horse trough for our pups to drink from at about the midpoint. And stunning views throughout with hardly any crowds!

Loved this trail. Very pretty trail, stunning view at the overlook. Steep near the end but overall a pretty easy trail. I'll do it again with my kids. Instead of out n back we made a loop starting on Horse Flat Trail and returning on Lame Horse Trail. If you study the map before you leave or download the map you will have no trouble following the right route. Not too tricky. Near the junction of Lame Horse and Horse Flat there is a spring piped into a trough where you can get a delicious cold swig of fresh (clean and safe) mountain spring water.

I loved this trail! My whole family enjoyed it. The first two thirds are basically walking through meadows. The last third is the steep part getting to the overlook. Very doable, although my phone clocked almost 1,000 feet in elevation and 3.7 miles. It is definitely worth the views at the end! You feel like you're on top of the world.

Gorgeous views! Lots of ups and downs and flat areas. Good combination. Shaded and sun. Nice hike.

Short, easy, beautiful. Fun hike to do with family or friends with a great reward at the end - an amazing view of Timp.

Outstanding view of the Primrose Cirque. We were the first to hike after the last snowstorm and the track keep us on or near the trail.

I have no idea where the name Hensky comes from but I believe this is actually the Primrose Overlook. It says Lame Horse Trail at the beginning but then you find you are actually on Horse Flat Trail. Very confusing signage. It does veer left at one point, right before the overlook, which is Horse Spring Trail and loops you to Lame Horse which takes you back to the Summit Trailhead. We ended up just going to the overlook and going back the way we came and it took about an hour and a half. The overlook is very pretty and overall was a very fun hike.

We hiked this trail like some others have done as a loop going out on Horse Flat trail and coming back on Lame Horse trail. There must be some significance to the name of this trail that is lost on me because none of the trails are named Hensky. The trail goes through mixed conifer and aspen groves interspersed with meadows. The fall colors were lovely. Along the trail there are views of some of the mountain peaks that were beautiful. The overlook into Primrose cirque at the end is spectacular. We hiked this route in the afternoon and in hindsight, it would have been better in the morning because the east side of the mountain was in the shade and it would have been much better for pictures if it wasn't. Ideally, next time we will time it so we hike in the am and have a nice early lunch at the viewpoint. Horse Flat trail has the meadows. Lame horse trail has tons of ferns and a small pond. Both trails were nice. The trail does have some steep portions and hence the moderate rating. We are looking forward to coming back in the spring and summer.

So we hiked the Lame Horse trail to reach the Hensky Overlook as some reviews had suggested. Not sure if that was the right path since it said 2 miles not 1.6. I also made the mistake of passing on some info I read in a different review to my kids which said the hike is pretty easy except for the last 250 ft which are steep. So at every steep section, they thought they were almost there, only to be disappointed. We were climbing the steepest hill yet almost 2 miles into the hike, and we were sure it was going to lead us to the Overlook. Nope. We could see the mountain and Valley through the trees, but there was another steep descent and steep incline to go. For my kids with autism, this was a huge blow. We would have continued on, but my 7 year old had twisted his ankle, and the sun was setting. It was a very beautiful hike, the aspens leaves glittering like gold coins. But it was a little tough for my kids (who aren't the most agile creatures).

A friend and I really enjoyed this hike this morning! The path was shady and beautiful and the views at the end were breathtaking! There was hardly anyone else on the trail. Moderate difficulty, mostly due to the high elevation. The trail name was marked as Lame Horse trail - not Hensky Overlook, but based on the pictures, it was easy to tell that this was the same trail. This is definitely one of my new favorite hikes in Utah!

Beautiful hike with a nice view of the east side of Timp at the end. I would recommend continuing to Bob's Knob for more great views of Timp and Aspen Grove.

gorgeous views. I went when it was raining and it was so beautiful and peaceful. wondering if anyone knows of a trail that goes to the waterfalls that you can see at the end of the trail?

beautiful hike! Well worth the incline at the end. The trailhead calls it horse trail 250.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

I'm out of shape and really enjoyed this trail. It ends with a beautiful view. I had to take quite a few breaks on the steep parts near the peak, but it wasn't too bad.

Only 4 stars because the trail was super dusty and there was not much shade.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Did this hike today. Well worth the steep incline!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

I drove quite a ways to hike this today. However, the road was closed due to a fire. I'm sure it's amazing, just have try another time. Beware that Alpine loop is closed in both directions today (Hwy 92).

Friday, June 23, 2017

Beautiful view of the back side of Timp. Lots of wildflowers along the way. No one else on the trail. We went during the evening hours.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Amazing hike. It was 4 miles climbing 850 feet. It had nice intervals of flat meadow, hillside climb & descending. Our 8 year old did really well with a few brief rests & snacks. The destination is the top of a ridge line surrounded by amazing views. Well marked trail and doggie friendly.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Stunning views, honestly breathtaking. Not a well known trail- but it should be. One of my favorite hikes.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

The best hike ever

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Good little hike.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Great views. Fall colors are amazing. First mile or so was a little populated. Last 3/4 mile is pretty steep. But panoramic views are worth it.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

It was a great day to hike. Beautiful skies and views. Only saw one other person on the trail. For the most part it was a very gradual incline until the end where it got pretty steep and my 7yr old and 9yr old needed a few breaks and words of encouragement. Everyone agreed it was worth it when we got to the end and saw the view. I wasn't able to record all my tracks. The app kept freezing up. But we did make it to the end!

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

A nice gentle trail that travels through some beautiful forests to a nice overlook above Sundance. There are several nice meadows that you will travel through that are sometimes filled with flowers. I've been on this trail probably a dozen times and have only ever seen a handful of people. The views to the East over the Wasatch are great, and in the distance you can even see the Uinta Mountains.

recorded j