Primrose Overlook and Horse Spring Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(77)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Primrose Overlook and Horse Spring Trail Loop is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 984 feet Route Type: Loop

We took a loop going up the Horse Flat Trail and then returning along the Lame Horse Trail. I had brought along my five kids 14-5 and they were troopers! I hadn’t realized how much this trail went up and down. The viewpoint is spectacular, but there is definitely some steep hills to climb up and down to get there. Taking the alternate way back along Lame Horse Trail is a little longer, but lovely and shady.

This hike was beautiful. It was a little steep at points but the view from top is well worth it! I would suggest doing the full loop rather than going down the same way you went up. On the lame horse side there is an awesome lookout point.

In American Fork Canyon, so it's a fee area. I started on the Lame Horse Trail side only because I parked right next to that trailhead. Going that way, there are four or five steep sections, the longest of which is the final push to the overlook. That climb earns this hike its moderate rating. Otherwise it's pretty easy. There were lots of bugs at the start, but the swarms thinned in the middle before getting bad again near the overlook. There was plenty of shade throughout the loop, even at midday. The overlook had 360-degree views that can't be beat. Didn't see much in the way of wildlife - just a few chipmunks and a goat during the drive up. Had to share the trail with mountain bikes, and even a group of dirt bikes that flew by. The trail is very narrow, particularly the Lame Horse section, so had to step into the brush to make way for bikes. Despite the bikes and the bugs, still giving this trail 5 stars because it's so beautiful and pleasant. I will definitely do this hike again - though I may try going the Horse Flat way next time since it seemed a little less vertical.

Super fun loop to do, very beautiful this time of year! Would definitely recommend for an easy but rewarding hike.

Wonderful hike! Absolutely beautiful views, shady path, wild flowers, butterflies and aspens!

Utah hike #1!!

Beautiful views!!

Beautiful. Humid this time of year but a storm rolled in and cooling things down nicely. The hike is moderate as it’s half uphill and then half down hill but love the loop and the view when you get the the end is amazing. Great hike for those interested in a good hike for half day. Took us less than 3 hours even with stopping at the top for a bit and a slow pace uphill.

Bugs. Bugs. and more bugs. Had bug spray but didn’t help much. Too many dirt bikes, hard to enjoy the trail and get into a good hiking pace when you have to constantly get out of their way. Loud and lots of exhaust also detract from the beauty of the trail. Didn’t do the whole loop because we were over it.

Awesome hike. Super easy and gorgeous views. The loop was perfect and the overlook was worth the 10 minutes uphill. It was pretty muddy when we went because of the rainstorm yesterday. The mosquitoes seem to be dying down, they weren’t bad. We went at 7 am and the temperature was perfect. Only saw one group of people although there were crowds arriving as we left around 9.

Bring bug spray!! The mosquitoes were constantly swarming us! Love the variety of this trail, meadows to aspens to pine trees and lots of flowers along the way.

This is such a fun hike. There are a couple of good, steep sections but it’s fairly tame overall. I’ve done the hike three times in the last week as my workout for the day because I live close to AF canyon. Primrose Overlook is stunning right now. The wild flowers are in full bloom. One of the times I did it recently, I took my seven year old daughter and she handled it really well. So I’d say adventurous kids can do this hike no problem. When you start up the trail to the overlook from the meadow, it’s going to get very steep, very fast. This section is quite short though, and the reward is worth the climb. Bug spray is helpful, there are a lot of mosquitos right now.

This trail was definitely hard to follow. The snow covered a good portion of it, it was overgrown in a few spots and it was poorly marked. I definitely got lost a time or two. That being said, this was easily one of the best hikes I’ve been on and the views at the end are incredible!

Mon Sep 17 2018

This is a beautiful trail through aspen trees, and it culminates with a breathtaking view of the surrounding mountains. While a moderate hike, the elevation gain will make for a good little workout. Be sure to wear good shoes, as the trail can be slippery coming down. Probably best to hike this when the wildflowers are in full bloom, or in the fall when the leaves have changed.

Sat Mar 03 2018

Came up the Lame Horse trail because of locked gates in the winter. Snowshoeing to Primrose overlook gets steep.