Portal Overlook

Portal Overlook is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful views, but definitely not the best the area has to offer. Great workout though. May be tough to find the Trail after rain as there are few markers. I didn’t see any mountain bikers the entire time (midday Tuesday) and only one other hiker.

Hike starts at Jaycee Park campground off of Rt 279 (Potash Road). This is also an (advanced) mountain bike trail, but I didn't see anyone on a mountain bike the whole time I was on the trail -- in fact I never saw anybody else at all. After a short level stretch, it is a steep uphill for about 1.5 miles to the officially labelled Portal Overlook. I went another mostly level mile to a junction with a bunch of jeep roads, and it was absolutely worth it, because at that point the views open up in all directions and it is pretty spectacular. However, do not do this stretch if you are afraid of heights. I am not, but there were parts of this trail that made me pretty nervous and at one point I had to deliberately focus on the trail and not let myself look at the Colorado River below (like 1300 feet below). There are times when you are walking on a trail that is 1.5 feet wide right next to the drop. There are signs telling mountain bikers to dismount for some stretches. On a mountain bike, or an ambitious day of walking, you could connect up to a lot of other trails, but I just went back the way I came, which worked out to 5.1 miles round-trip. There are a bunch of YouTube videos showing mountain bikers along this trail.

Awesome workout/hike. Mountain bikers don’t get too cocky coming down! Watched someone almost slide off a cliff on one of the narrower areas of the trail, and almost take me out in the process. Beautiful views when you make it to the end!

Lots of up. I liked the second half of the hike which is more exposed. Only one spot seemed sketchy to me, but I guess that sort of thing is subjective. Nice views!

Thursday, February 09, 2017