Poison Spider Mesa

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(103)
Moab, Utah

Poison Spider Mesa is a 13.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 13.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,364 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

This is one of the most popular trails in Moab and is often combined with Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim. Poison Spider Mesa is a fun-filled combination of challenging obstacles and incredible scenery. Don't miss impressive Little Arch near cliff edge overlooking Moab. Drive with caution and be courteous to bikers at all times. Open all year weather permitting. Best time to go: Spring and Fall. Located on BLM land. For current status call Bureau of Land Management, Moab Field Office at (435) 259-2100. Please note that this is a difficult route, there are huge awkward ledges and many tippy spots. For modified vehicles with very high ground clearance, lockers, large tires and good articulation. Route-finding on loop portion of trail is very challenging. Follow track and painted Jeep symbols.

ohv/off road driving

All I can say is..... Incredible! at 7pm when sun is starting to set. Wow!

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail! Beautiful views!

ohv/off road driving

This trail is rated as hard. There are sound harder sections but if you have a good spotter you can make it. We did it in a Tacoma and a sequoia both were lifted and had bigger tires. Beautiful view and amazing trail.

ohv/off road driving

The “water fall” was nice and technical awesome trail!

ohv/off road driving

Took us a little over three hours to complete the trail. It contains plenty of bypasses. Make sure you bring plenty of water, a liter an hour.

ohv/off road driving

This trail was so much fun! Many ledges to crawl over, but nothing that was to difficult for a RZR 1000. This was our favorite trail over Hell’s Revenge, Fins n Things, Chickens Corner and Gemini Bridges. Let’s you be technical but nothing to extreme or challenging. Must take the Barney’s overlook off the loop portion of the trail. You will also see a beautiful arch called Little Arch.

Fri May 17 2019

was a beautiful day and had fun with the trail. not really hard but watch out for the one rock with the four foot drop. my hitch and spare did not like it. great picture though.

Fri May 10 2019

Trail was great, but all trails misses some cool way points along the trail

Wed Mar 27 2019

Trail was in GREAT condition. Well marked. We drove to to overlook, best idea of the trail. It is a short trip off the loop and definitely worth it. We hit every difficult spot so we spent well over 5 hours, you can do it faster, but we took our time and took tons of pics.

of the trails I've run in Moab, Poison Spider Mesa is, by far, my favorite! a little bit of everything, with gorgeous scenery.

Mon Nov 19 2018

Amazing!

Sat Sep 22 2018

Very good trail. Need careful tire placement in some spots, didn't have any body damage concerns. Took several alternate (harder) routes. 1993 Land Cruiser, 35" Toyo's, 3" Lift, Triple Lockers

Thu Sep 20 2018

Fun time great wheeling not as bad as they say it is

Sun Sep 09 2018

we ran this trail all the way through the water fall in a STOCK 2006 Nissan Xterra s. no special equipment used, only damage was bent the nerf bars and scrapped up the hitch. I would run this trail again but I would highly recommend more ground clearance then a stock SUV provides.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Awesome trail with great views. There are a couple of spots that require good tire placement but otherwise enjoy the view

Sun Jun 10 2018

Made it about half was before we had to turn around due to our time constraints. We will definitely be back!

Mon Feb 26 2018

Hollyyyyy sheeeit. This was my second trail run ever. This isn’t a good one to learn on lol but what we did do of it it’s a hell of a challenge but seriously fun. We couldn’t finish it. I’m not even sure how far along we were. We actually got up there quite a ways. Our Can am Trail is now broken in though lol. It was able to handle all of this surprisingly easy, but I wasn’t about to go up a rock that basically was at a 90 degree angle lol we will try this next time we come to Moab. It still gets 5 stars. I just need more experience.

Wed Jan 10 2018

Fun

Thu Jun 15 2017

Dirt biking- this is my favorite trail in Moab! It's challenging, but exceptionally scenic. You get steep rock step ups (2 that my husband had to do for me- although I tried!), slick rock, sand, etc. the trail is very well marked and the scenic route at the top is beautiful! Plus there are sections at the top where you can go really fast. The beginning of the trail is the hardest so don't give up too early! We saw a stock jeep at the top, though I'm not sure how he got up there? This is an epic ride! Mind you- if my husband wasn't there I probably couldn't have got up some of the obstacles in the beginning.

Sun Mar 19 2017

Amazing trail most fun I had in Moab. This trail has some killer lines to take in my 4 Door Rubicon on 35's. we spread my fathers ashes along this trail. He made the trip in spirit.

Tue Oct 18 2016

Very challenging! Great full day combination with Golden Spike.

Wed Aug 24 2016

Fun trail for 4X4 action with lots of scenery. I did the trifecta which is Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. It took me over 12 hours to complete but well worth the effort.

Fri Feb 19 2016

Fun

Tue Aug 27 2013

Awesome trail! Can't wait to do it again! but only attempt this trail if you have experience off-roading and I would advise going with a group or at least with others to help you. Being lifted and having lockers will help, but I was with a guy in a stock jeep wrangler that was able to make it so it can be done. This trail can be driven in a loop and then you come back out the way you came or you can continue on through Golden Spike and then Gold Bar Rim. I drove the loop in my lifted FJ Cruiser and it was a blast!

Thu Dec 06 2012

Great trail!! I am new to offroading and went with a group of 4 other jeeps and a trail leader who took us through the obsticales. Outstanding job to Nena from Barlows Jeep Rentals in Sedona, Az