Pittsburg Lake Trail

Pittsburg Lake Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Midway, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a 2.4 kilometer hike that takes 1 hour to finish. Activities include hiking, camping, and fishing. Dogs are allowed on this trail. Features along the way include rivers, a waterfall, and a lake. It's obstacles are rocky.

How are you peeps finding this trail head? I followed Google maps in my F150 yesterday and the road just turns into an impassible four wheeler trail. I had to turn around and go to silver lake with the rest of Utah county.

Super fun pack light

Great trail to get away from the crowds. And the water temp was perfect for a swim.

Tough hike. I took my 10 year old daughter on her first overnight backpacking trip. This was definitely a tough hike. Great fishing.

We followed the AllTrails directions and ended up 1.8 miles from the trail head. We started walking and realized there was a road below the trail we were on - so circled back to the car and followed the map and ended ip at the right trailhead. The hike is hard because it is so steep. Views are beautiful and the lake is Amazing. not a hike for beginners, this one kicked our butts. But now one of our favorites! .

Great secluded hike! I will be going back with a fishing pole.

My fiancé proposed to me at the top! It seemed he had superhero energy climbing up and I guess now I know why! We had the whole place to ourselves and it was magical.

I really loved this trail! Before you even get to the trailhead you have a rocky road and then a stream or two to drive through. Then it’s about a 39 degree incline over a mostly boulder covered trail. Great views all the way up. Once you reach the top it’s well worth it. We hiked this in early June and didn’t see a single person while on the actual trail. It was slightly chilly once we reached the very top but not terrible. I wish we had had more time to climb up the boulder hill and check things out a bit more once at the lake. I will definitely be going back to stay the night sometime. Take a hammock and a small dingy to float around in once up there.

This is one of the most beautiful I know of. The hike is a stair stepper but the pay off at the end is so worth it. It you hike up to the ridges above the lake you are looking down on the back side of snowbird. I can’t recommend this hike enough. Typically we hammock when we camp up here. Camping spots are limited.

Recommend practicing for this hike on a stair master, well worth the effort.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

This hike is steep and rocky. I wouldn't recommend it for beginner hikers. The lake at the top was gorgeous, along with the views along the way. The only thing that would have made it better is if I had brought my fishing pole.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Very steep for the majority of this hike. The rocks are incredibly loose and would not recommend this for beginners or kids. The lake was beautiful and the drive was fun, but man oh man, it's steep!!!

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Started the hike around 0630. The creek to the trailhead is low so driving to the trailhead was no problem, just took it slow to avoid "bottoming out" in my AWD Durango. The hike is short (thank Baby Jesus) but quite steep and their is a good stretch of loose rocks which makes it a difficult to gain traction. I started early to avoid the heat of the sun but by the time i made it to the lake the sun was in full swing. There are plenty areas for shade around the lake which made fishing very comfortable. I caught about 10 small beautiful Brook Trout, about 8 to 12 inches, using yellow power bait and garlic flavored paste (they seemed to hit on that every cast). Action was constant but seemed to be only small trout which made it difficult to set the hook, but a great time and well worth the effort. oh yeah, forgot to mention the breathtaking views and beauty of the area. We had a moose hang out in the lake with us all day!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Great hike! Although you definitely need a jeep or similar to access the trailhead

Friday, June 30, 2017

Tough hike. Did it today. Had the lake to ourselves.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Great hike, I was looking for solitude and I got it. I didn't see a single person on trail. It was hard to find the trailhead due to the river running down the road. So if you are going anytime soon (as of 06/29/17) remember to cross the river as soon as possible. You can drive across it. Very steep, and rocky at first. Even though this is a shorter hike plan on several hours. The dirt road is long and very rough. Don't take a car.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Absolutely wonderful! I did this hike last fall and it was one of my favorites! Off-roading was so much fun (to get to the trailhead) and although it was a pretty steep incline to get to the top, it was so worth it. Very peaceful, and beautiful crystal clear water.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

This is a beautiful hike with a great lake. There is a lot of elevation gain. I haven't had much success fishing here but I have seen people catch them.
We saw 3 moose the last time we went there. There is an old miner's cabin that is still standing, however, not all the walls are intact.
Make sure that you use the GPS coordinates to find the trailhead. You have to drive through a shallow creek bed before you enter into the parking lot. You will also want a vehicle with high clearance to get there. The road is very narrow for about 1/3 of a mile where it is hard for two vehicles to pass each other. There is a rock wall on one side and a cliff on the other side. I prefer to travel from Tibblefork reservoir to the trailhead on an ATV.
The hike is definitely worth it.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

To begin, you will need a high clearance vehicle, or an off road vehicle. The road to the trailhead is rocky, and in some parts, extremely narrow. The road is about 6 miles long, and in order to get to the trailhead, you have to cross the river that is paved with cobblestones (sort of) but then again when it is in some nasty dirt road. The trail itself is extremely steep, because you are gaining just over 1500 feet in 1.5 miles. The trail is rocky and is south facing, making it extremely hot in the summer afternoons. Definitely a morning hike in my opinion. The lake itself is fairly clear, and there are plenty of brook trout, even though they are pretty small, the biggest one I saw was about 8 inches. The cabin on the south side is cool, but is far different than the pictures here. The whole front has been torn off due to people using it for firewood or to make rafts. Overall, one of my favorite places to go camping because of the low traffic.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

I was never able to reach the lake because the road that leads to it was an offlly treacherous road. it was an old dirt road that was used for mining. It climbed along side the mountain, some areas were a steep drop off, and the road went for about 6 or 7 miles till it came to a complete stop. to reach the lake you would have to hike at least 4 miles one way. I don't know if there is another route but I would definitely recommend taking a razer or ATV up to the lake.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The directions on AllTrails took me to the wrong spot...it wanted me to drive down this path of huge stones and the 7 miles of rocky road I had already went down was already pretty terrible. It was super pretty along the way though and I ended up hiking on some trail that led to Mineral Basin but I never found Pittsburg Lake after going about 3 miles in. I'd love to find the lake sometime and figure out if there's any other road there! I was driving a Kia Soul but I'd definitely recommend driving something much bigger than that.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Went to go hike this trail - drove there in my car. Just a heads up, the "dirt road" to the trailhead is 6 miles of basically a riverbed with large rocks jarring out all over the place. Got about 1.5 miles in before I decided to turn around because it wasn't worth bottoming out or popping a tire, as it continuously seemed to get more treacherous.
Everybody I had passed, was either in a Truck, Jeep, or other SUV. Lots of 4Wheelers cruising along too. Would HIGHLY recommend getting there in one of these, and not a car or low-clearance vehicle.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Pretty steep but 100% worth it! Definitely would do it again.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

I give this 5 stars purely because it is so secluded where everywhere else is getting so busy these days. This is a steep and rocky hike, which does make it a bit challenging. But it's totally doable and totally worth it! Just remember to pack out what you pack in!!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

super steep. but magnificent!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

My favorite hike because you never really see folks up there and it's peaceful. Water is ice cold but after you jump in you will feel refreshed. Lots of fish up there. You gain elevation in a shirt period of time. Lots of loose rock on the trail so be careful coming down.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Loved it

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Super awesome hike. The loose rocks and steep incline is what's rough in parts, but the hubby and I did it with our 5 and 9 yr old. Definitely worth the hike!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A short but steep hike. Great scenery that ends in a lake you can jump in and cool down.

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Short and fairly steep, but remote and incredibly gorgeous. Fun view of Devil's Castle from the south.