Pittsburg Lake Trail

Pittsburg Lake Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Midway, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a 2.4 kilometer hike that takes 1 hour to finish. Activities include hiking, camping, and fishing. Dogs are allowed on this trail. Features along the way include rivers, a waterfall, and a lake. It's obstacles are rocky.

Very steep for the majority of this hike. The rocks are incredibly loose and would not recommend this for beginners or kids. The lake was beautiful and the drive was fun, but man oh man, it's steep!!!

Started the hike around 0630. The creek to the trailhead is low so driving to the trailhead was no problem, just took it slow to avoid "bottoming out" in my AWD Durango. The hike is short (thank Baby Jesus) but quite steep and their is a good stretch of loose rocks which makes it a difficult to gain traction. I started early to avoid the heat of the sun but by the time i made it to the lake the sun was in full swing. There are plenty areas for shade around the lake which made fishing very comfortable. I caught about 10 small beautiful Brook Trout, about 8 to 12 inches, using yellow power bait and garlic flavored paste (they seemed to hit on that every cast). Action was constant but seemed to be only small trout which made it difficult to set the hook, but a great time and well worth the effort. oh yeah, forgot to mention the breathtaking views and beauty of the area. We had a moose hang out in the lake with us all day!

Paul Swenson is Missing. Please help us. Call police at 801.763.3020. Red hair, 6'0" tall. See the picture posted for full view of who he is. Or call 801.330.5772

Great hike! Although you definitely need a jeep or similar to access the trailhead

Tough hike. Did it today. Had the lake to ourselves.

Great hike, I was looking for solitude and I got it. I didn't see a single person on trail. It was hard to find the trailhead due to the river running down the road. So if you are going anytime soon (as of 06/29/17) remember to cross the river as soon as possible. You can drive across it. Very steep, and rocky at first. Even though this is a shorter hike plan on several hours. The dirt road is long and very rough. Don't take a car.

Absolutely wonderful! I did this hike last fall and it was one of my favorites! Off-roading was so much fun (to get to the trailhead) and although it was a pretty steep incline to get to the top, it was so worth it. Very peaceful, and beautiful crystal clear water.

This is a beautiful hike with a great lake. There is a lot of elevation gain. I haven't had much success fishing here but I have seen people catch them.
We saw 3 moose the last time we went there. There is an old miner's cabin that is still standing, however, not all the walls are intact.
Make sure that you use the GPS coordinates to find the trailhead. You have to drive through a shallow creek bed before you enter into the parking lot. You will also want a vehicle with high clearance to get there. The road is very narrow for about 1/3 of a mile where it is hard for two vehicles to pass each other. There is a rock wall on one side and a cliff on the other side. I prefer to travel from Tibblefork reservoir to the trailhead on an ATV.
The hike is definitely worth it.

To begin, you will need a high clearance vehicle, or an off road vehicle. The road to the trailhead is rocky, and in some parts, extremely narrow. The road is about 6 miles long, and in order to get to the trailhead, you have to cross the river that is paved with cobblestones (sort of) but then again when it is in some nasty dirt road. The trail itself is extremely steep, because you are gaining just over 1500 feet in 1.5 miles. The trail is rocky and is south facing, making it extremely hot in the summer afternoons. Definitely a morning hike in my opinion. The lake itself is fairly clear, and there are plenty of brook trout, even though they are pretty small, the biggest one I saw was about 8 inches. The cabin on the south side is cool, but is far different than the pictures here. The whole front has been torn off due to people using it for firewood or to make rafts. Overall, one of my favorite places to go camping because of the low traffic.

I was never able to reach the lake because the road that leads to it was an offlly treacherous road. it was an old dirt road that was used for mining. It climbed along side the mountain, some areas were a steep drop off, and the road went for about 6 or 7 miles till it came to a complete stop. to reach the lake you would have to hike at least 4 miles one way. I don't know if there is another route but I would definitely recommend taking a razer or ATV up to the lake.

The directions on AllTrails took me to the wrong spot...it wanted me to drive down this path of huge stones and the 7 miles of rocky road I had already went down was already pretty terrible. It was super pretty along the way though and I ended up hiking on some trail that led to Mineral Basin but I never found Pittsburg Lake after going about 3 miles in. I'd love to find the lake sometime and figure out if there's any other road there! I was driving a Kia Soul but I'd definitely recommend driving something much bigger than that.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Went to go hike this trail - drove there in my car. Just a heads up, the "dirt road" to the trailhead is 6 miles of basically a riverbed with large rocks jarring out all over the place. Got about 1.5 miles in before I decided to turn around because it wasn't worth bottoming out or popping a tire, as it continuously seemed to get more treacherous.
Everybody I had passed, was either in a Truck, Jeep, or other SUV. Lots of 4Wheelers cruising along too. Would HIGHLY recommend getting there in one of these, and not a car or low-clearance vehicle.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Pretty steep but 100% worth it! Definitely would do it again.