Learn more

Pine Hollow Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,299 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail is in a fee area. The first part of the trail is exposed, so on a hot day, it can get pretty warm. Then the trail goes through trees. In the summer the trail is very lush and crosses streams. There are lots of wild flowers. If you go go another 100 yards to the left on the Ridge trail you'll reach a meadow where you can see down to The Heber Valley to the East, Lone Peak Wilderness to the North and Mt. Timpanogos to the West.

recorded Pine Hollow Trail

Pine Hollow to Muddy Springs. 50/50 in terms of shade and exposure. The first mile is a consistent climb, not necessarily steep but leaves you winded and makes for an active descent on the way back. Trail follows a shallow stream for about a half-mile around the 1-mile mark. Trail is shared with dirt bikes which is wild given how narrow it is in some parts, but makes for a noisy and dusty hike. I started at 930 and finished around 130, still got passed by at least a dozen. Good views of Timp though and the shaded areas are really nice with all the aspens. Georgia grapes along the first half mile at least, but not ripe yet. Pretty certain I saw huckleberry bushes.

Beautiful time, pretty steep trail. I love hiking in pines and this trail was just for me

Really nicely shaded trail. lots of trees going in and great open meadows sprinkled along the way. It was a busy weekend on the campground, so I suggest going a little early, to avoid people and the heat. Great views when reaching Ridge Connection. Good climb for most of the way.

Really nice trail, with a good balance of forest, mountain views, and meadows

Great hike if you do it after all the snow is melted. I think it certainly is moderate if you do it with some snow (up until May usually?). I went in April and got a bit lost because the trail was buried and I was the only one out. I missed the turn for the loop and ended up going several miles deep that I had to backtrack. But in all a nice hike. Not my favorite in the area but it’s nice. It is very popular however so be aware, the trailhead parking lot is nearly always full.

I clocked it at 4.9 miles. Hike the loop clockwise for best view progression. No river but a few streams/creeks. You can access the loop from several places on the road and at the salamander flat campground if you have kids and want to shorten it to just the loop. Zoom in on the map to see additional access points. Motor bikes are allow on this trail which is crazy and dangerous on the weekend. Big Beautiful second meadow and vistas in the downhill of the loop in clockwise direction.

Loved this trail! We went early and had plenty of shade, and almost had the whole trail to ourselves. We started about 6:30 am and we were done by 8:30. We saw a moose and her calf so that was a nice surprise as well. Will definitely be doing this trail again. Gorgeous meadows.

fee

Loved this trail! The first 1.2 miles are uphill, but easily manageable if you pace yourself. A good amount of shaded areas, but you'll still get plenty of sun. After that, it's a beautiful walk through trees to a large meadow. Lots of mountain bikers and also dirt bikers. Once you reach the "end" of the Pine Hollow trail, there's plenty of off shoots to other trails if you'd like to keep going.

This loop trail has amazing views of Timp and surrounding hills. I would rate this as easy, the first 1.5ish mile is gradual incline and then levels out like previous hikers have said. If you go in the morning there should be lots of shade still, I started at 8 am and finished around 10. Lovely little streams, groves, so many trees. Weird part where you walk through the campgrounds next to tents and such, but it’s quick. Passed a few dirt bikers and the trail is narrow on sections, just be aware.

Good hike but needs to be marked better.

recorded Pine Hollow Trail

Great scenery, great weather, not many people. Added some distance taking a left on the Ridge trail and for added scenery views.

I really loved this hike. The first mile or so is all uphill but the view is very well worth it!

fee

Uphill at the beginning, then flat when the trail becomes unidirectional. Gorgeous views.

I really enjoyed this hike, and the drive up to the trailhead. The views are spectacular. The climb is a bit of a challenge, but the views are worth it!

recorded Pine Hollow Trail

The uphill is the most strenuous part, but the views and downhill running makes up for that. It’s absolutely beautiful, with plenty of photo opportunities. We even saw a Moose at one of the campsites!

Same experience as Eileen below. Her .25 mile detour a must-see! Beautiful hike! South side of loop dry; north side muddier with runoff and several short snow patches.

This trail had a little bit of everything - streams, melting snow, wildflowers, whiffs of pine and an expansive meadow. We reached the Ridge Trail sign and turned right, walked another 0.25 miles, and found a lovely panoramic view of the surrounding mountains. We had the trail to ourselves until about 2 p.m. when it became more crowded.

fee

Fun,peaceful trail with great direction. It follows a creek most of the way. Gets pretty muddy and snowy about 2/3 or so of the way up. the snow is packed so you are able to walk on it though.

icy

Very pretty and fun. Hard packed snow about. Mile up and mostly around the loop. Easy to follow. It was my first time here and was enjoyable. I started about 8am and didn’t see a soul until I was just about back to the parking lot.

Really fun trail with great views. After about a half mile the trail is pretty muddy but manageable. We got to the valley on top but didn’t go further because the snow is knee deep. With snow shoes it would be possible. Beautiful quick hike. We hiked on April 24.

Fun hike with great views of Timp most of the way. I did this hike on 4/10/20, and there was a lot of snow and ice after the first 1/2 mile. I would definitely recommend spikes. At the top, take a left and do the recommended extra 100 yards for a great view. I would not recommend going right unless you have snowshoes. I went about 1/4 mile that way and ended up turning back because I kept sinking thigh deep into snow. Overall a good hike.