Pfeifferhorn (via Red Pine Lakes Trail)

Pfeifferhorn (via Red Pine Lakes Trail) is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

This trail leads to one of the most scenic and most frequently visited peaks on the south side of Little Cottonwood canyon. However, you will probably not see more than one group of hikers on the upper portion of the trail on a summer weekend. The majority of the hike is on a well-maintained and easy to follow trail. The portion of trail between Lower Red Pine Lake and the Alpine Ridge is only slightly difficult to follow, but the direction of travel is obvious and should keep you near the correct path. Above Upper Red Pine lake follow the faint steep ridge that leads to the Alpine Ridge. There is a trail, but it is faint and hard to follow. Once you've obtained the Alpine Ridge the rest of path to the summit is strait-forward.

This was probably the best and most exhilarating hike I've ever done. It had everything from gorgeous scenery to gentle sloping trail to boulder fields and rock scrambles and you summit via a super steep ascent that's harder on your lungs than your psyche. The hardest part (to me) was Knife Edge Ridge, which is right before the final ascent. It's essentially a ridge of huge boulders that you climb right over the top of. If you do this, I strongly recommend going right over the top of it. It seems the scarier route, but we took someone's advice and went about 20 feet down to the right and nearly got completely stuck. It's extremely steep and the boulders give you grips to climb over, where the lower part of the ridge is loose gravel and too steep to get foot or handholds.

I did this hike with my husband, and neither he nor I are expert hikers by any means, but we love getting out and trying new and challenging things. That's EXACTLY what this was. We started on the trail at 7am and got back around 2:30pm. *Added bonus is the wildflowers are in full bloom right now and are absolutely gorgeous!

Beautiful and quite difficult. You need to be in good shape and be steady in your feet to do the last half after Red Pine Lake to Pheifferhorn

It was perfect in every way today!!! wild flowers everywhere, with a nice breeze and breath-taking lakes and scenery. definitely a tough, but rewarding hike. it is my favorite by far!! be sure to take the ridge line on the right side of the valley to pfeifferhorn, it will save you some scrambling. and go early, when things are cooler

Beautiful scenery, not for inexperienced hikers/campers. Weather was flippant but the lakes were amazing. Be prepared for less oxygen then you are used to in the valley.

Praise the Lord God Almighty! AMEN! What a great, beautiful, and tough hike this was! I clocked 9.5 miles round-trip. Six hours to the summit of Pfeifferhorn Peak and down. I'm 55, so I take it a little bit slower! I may not be good, but I'm slow! Ha ha! Lots of rocks on this hike, so I recommend good shoes with good ankle support! I'm grateful for Jeff and Jeremy motivating me to Summit! Thanks guys! PTL!

Amazing! Hike to the top is fun and the view at the top is breath taking. Just be sure to give your self plenty of time to complete because the last part takes a while and isn't very easy.

Amazing views of the city, lakes, and mountains. Very rocky and intense terrain towards the end but very worth the view. Take your time to enjoy it because it's filled with tons of beautiful animals and wildlife. One of my favorite hikes so far.

The Pfeifferhorn is a great peak. It offers stunning 360 views. It is perhaps one of the most easily accessible 11,000+ peaks in Utah. The Lake is a great place to camp if you want to take your time to enjoy the beauty of it all. If you're someone who is afraid of heights, I wouldn't attempt hike.

Fantastic hike with amazing views. The spiney ridge before the final ascent can be pretty scary for those afraid of heights. It requires plenty of bouldering strength to pull and lift yourself up, over, down and around the boulders. The final ascent is also VERY steep but completely worth it once you get to the summit.

Fantastic hike! We started around 4am and it was so worth it. The trail gets busy around 10am, so I would recommend starting early. The hike to Red Pine Lake wasn't bad at all, and what took the most time was the scrambling to Pfeifferhorn. The ridge that leads to the summit is not for the faint of heart. Be careful and watch your steps. If you don't feel comfortable with heights or climbing at least a little bit, then I don't recommend this hike. Views at the top were incredible!

Amazing hike. Must start early. Red Pine to Pfiefer horn is steep and in the sun. Scrambling required to cross one section. Last few hundred feet are very steep with lose rock/gravel and therefore slippery.

Absolutely incredible views. Red pine lake is clear and beautiful, and the hike only gets more beautiful from there. It has some scrambling and technical sections, but is well worth it.

Paul Swenson is Missing. Please help us. Call police at 801.763.3020. Red hair, 6'0" tall. See the picture posted for full view of who he is. Or call 801.330.5772